Review of Stereo Rehab in Chicago

jimjimbo

I could not be happier with the work done on several units that I took to Stereo Rehab in Chicago after a recommendation from several friends on two different forums.  Absolutely stellar work by a gentleman that really knows his stuff around audio gear, and particularly vintage Scott and Fisher gear, but that's not everything he works on. Casper did an awesome job on my Mcintosh MC240 as well.  Very nice guy, reasonably priced and outstanding work.  He is moving his shop to a larger location in Chicago in the next couple of weeks.  Highly recommended.

http://www.stereorehab.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep.....he's my main man. He's done three of my Scott tube integrateds and several other Marantz and other vintage solid state pieces.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Found this thread searching on Google.

Have not been around much, kinda bummed out. Stereo rehab (Caspar) has really done me in a bad way. Long story short had my first unit repaired and it went Ok for the most part and looking for a better unit he recommended a few and one I found and sent right to him. Been a year and a half now in and out with the same buzzing light ballast noise. Dropped it off in early January still within his one year warranty period but enough is enough has not answered one of my emails not does he answer the phone.

Can't see how this is good business.

123.jpg

6 minutes ago, jason str said:

Dropped it off in early January still within his one year warranty period but enough is enough has not answered one of my emails not does he answer the phone.

sounds like he lost interest , take it to another shop-

• Thanks 1

I have a 299C that I wanted Casper to rebuild he noticed some caps that were changed by Vacume Tube Valley by Charlie Kittleson in 1999. He would not touch it. I would think if the guy REALLY knows his industry why would some caps scare him off?? I even offered to pay additional. I would not recommend him at all. The amp sounds awesome it is one of my favorite. I just wanted a rebuild to get that last bit of great sound !

Rich

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

I have a 299C that I wanted Casper to rebuild he noticed some caps that were changed by Vacume Tube Valley by Charlie Kittleson in 1999. He would not touch it. I would think if the guy REALLY knows his industry why would some caps scare him off?? I even offered to pay additional. I would not recommend him at all.

Rich

Changed capacitors do not scare him off. What concerns him is terrible work by previous techs. The secret to dealing with Casper is to deal with him on a face-to-face basis and to form a relationship with him. He is seriously overwhelmed with work in the last year or so and where he normally would take 3 to 6 weeks to complete a unit,  his work load is now typically between 8 to 12 weeks.  and, I would recommend that if you don’t know about his work or his shop that you not make negative comments about him.  I have had at least 20 to 25 very positive experiences with him. Never had an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Changed capacitors do not scare him off. What concerns him is terrible work by previous techs. The secret to dealing with Casper is to deal with him on a face-to-face basis and to form a relationship with him. He is seriously overwhelmed with work in the last year or so and where he normally would take 3 to 6 weeks to complete a unit,  his work load is now typically between 8 to 12 weeks.  and, I would recommend that if you don’t know about his work or his shop that you not make negative comments about him.  I have had at least 20 to 25 very positive experiences with him. Never had an issue.

I like the place too but 10 months with no reply ?

It's been 18 months..... 

Thats great Jim you have had great experiences with Casper mine was very negative. If you google Vacume Tube Valley who worked on it last they were highly praised back for excellent work. I was not impressed with his correspondence in emails or what he had to say

Rich

1 minute ago, jason str said:

It's been 18 months..... 

I know the least he could do is tell you to F off.. or take this turd back or I'm busy, any acknowledgment at all?? I'd be pretty upset too sorry man!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jason str said:

It's been 18 months..... 

Jason, that’s really not like him at all. I can’t imagine what might have happened but I think the best solution is to either try to get in there personally or send someone, being very understanding that some thing odd may have occurred. That’s all I can think of.  18 months is really unacceptable, so something is definitely wrong here.  PM me if you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

Thats great Jim you have had great experiences with Casper mine was very negative. If you google Vacume Tube Valley who worked on it last they were highly praised back for excellent work. I was not impressed with his correspondence in emails or what he had to say

Rich

That’s cool, but Casper is quite the eccentric/brilliant dude. He has quite the sense of humor and actually put on a receipt for one of the items that he was working on for me, and termed part of it  that had been previously worked on by a supposedly well known person…”A casserole of F$$kery”. I’m sure that there are going to be some negative customer experiences as there is in any business, but I find this somewhat odd knowing him like I do.

• Thanks 1

Yep.....he's my main man. He's done three of my Scott tube integrateds and several other Marantz and other vintage solid state pieces.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did you ship to them or take in personally?

What SS pieces did you take in?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Did you ship to them or take in personally?

What SS pieces did you take in?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I took them in personally. It's about an hour drive for me. Marantz Model 30, 250, 3300, 3600, 1200.....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nothing out of the ordinary happened besides blaming this noise on EMF, electric source, something in the circuit, ETC...

None of these are factors and the noise is not anything heard from the other dozen or so sources I ran and would be embarrassed having company with this noisy receiver hooked up.

If it ever returns functioning my door is always open for music lovers.

• Like 1

Do not know them. But used to work on old tuner, receivers, amps, and integrateds. That was 25 - 30 years ago. It was difficult to track down noises. Sometimes even changing the position of a part caused stability issues. 

Especially circuitry like split phase amplification. Very finicky sometimes. 

A modified unit might be perfect. Or might be a life long project to sort out. Without knowledge of all changes it can be very time consuming to trace out all circuits and interactions. 

The receivers are the worst. The amount of circuits in the signal path is unbelievable. Tone controls, boosts, balance, and switching can kick your butt. Especially with this gear getting close to fifty years old. 

Casper might not have the greatest business communication skills. Most one man shows struggle with this. That is one of the reasons they are a one man show.

But if he is refurbing units and cranking them out he is a needed resource. 

• Like 1

Deltronics has two locations

Chicago and Woodridge

https://www.deltronics.com/our-locations

They have repaired everything I have brought them. 12-15 pieces of gear.

Yamaha, McIntosh, Pioneer Elite, Dual TT etc........

100% success rate, 1 piece of gear had to go back found and fixed the issue NC

inc equipment where the first shop I used "couldn't hear the buzzing" when I brought it back because they didn't fix the problem. Deltronix diagnosed the problem and fixed it.

This place has at least 4-5 techs at the woodridge location

If they need to order parts, it may take a few weeks

He stands behind the repairs, so hook it up when you get home and use it.

If it needs tweaking, bring it back inside the warranty.

He has a store front off the tollway in Woodridge, and store hours.

This is a professionally run business complete with front counter girl.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jason str said:

I know things can be tricky, worked for GM dealerships fixing shoddy repairs for years and ran a business. Gravy is nice but you take the good with the bad and never just blow off a customer.

Exactly

In  Telecom- Data Comm businesses that employed me

We always got the customer up and running, sometimes our gear was not the problem.

We never held someone up for a service contract when they were down

Most of the customers I visited worldwide volunteered that they would not meet with our competitors.

Our competitors "made them feel dirty" when they had a problem.

We just fixed it, frequently NC.

Loved getting those no bid orders down the road,

walking past the competitors in the lobby who were trying to get a meeting.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bubo said:

Deltronics has two locations

Chicago and Woodridge

https://www.deltronics.com/our-locations

They have repaired everything I have brought them. 12-15 pieces of gear.

Yamaha, McIntosh, Pioneer Elite, Dual TT etc........

100% success rate, 1 piece of gear had to go back found and fixed the issue NC

inc equipment where the first shop I used "couldn't hear the buzzing" when I brought it back because they didn't fix the problem. Deltronix diagnosed the problem and fixed it.

This place has at least 4-5 techs at the woodridge location

If they need to order parts, it may take a few weeks

He stands behind the repairs, so hook it up when you get home and use it.

If it needs tweaking, bring it back inside the warranty.

He has a store front off the tollway in Woodridge, and store hours.

This is a professionally run business complete with front counter girl.

I may just do that, Thanks.

A still working on it or need more time Jason would have gone a long way.

At this point I expect nothing but a $1500 loss.

• Like 1