Amazon

Bosco-d-gama

We have reworked our rear yard and had purchased a new chaise lounge from Amazon. So it arrived yesterday. The boxed was clearly repackaged and heavily scuffed. It was not dented or torn but it was absolutely not in new or even near new condition. Opened it up and things appeared proper. Removed the product and found that the cast aluminum frame was fractured. A single chunk had broken free in what looked like a metallurgy failure..... the metal was brittle. Yeah it is going back. It is a real pain and quite disappointing. Amazon was real nice and the episode will not cost me anything accept frustration. 

So what does Amazon do with broken returns? I am beginning to think that they have a warehouse of clearly broken products that are passed on to new purchasers in hopes that they will acceptable. Amazon offered me a discount if I kept this busted up product. Further - if Amazon does harbor ‘marginal’ or ‘failed’ products do they send them to regions they presume are less critical? I am rural, in a small state. Would this ‘beater’ chair have been sent to New York or California? 

Any similar experiences out there? Thoughts?

Our experience is do not buy from what they call the "warehouse" or something like that.  That is where that kind of stuff is, as you suspect, usually in the listing you can read the tip-off.  I doubt where you ship to has anything to do with it.

I try not to purchase large items from Amazon where shipping will clearly be an issue because they all use ups/FedEx.

That being said, I have purchased (because of pricing) a couple 65" monitors and they have ALL arrive in perfect condition.

The good thing about amazon is their return policies. If its damaged or non-functional, you can return it and amazon will pay for return shipping too. I have returned a few items, no problems, 100% refunds. A couple of my returns were just because I changed my mind or didn't care for the item once I had it.

You have to remember amazon is huge and their profit margins are pretty slim. They get a LOT of returns for various reasons. Sometimes people return stuff just because they changed their mind. So they have  warehouses committed to reselling products returned for various reasons. Sounds like they shipped you an item which was previously damaged, or it was damaged in shipment. It happens.

You say they accepted your return and it didn't cost you anything. Get over it, or don't purchase from Amazon going forward. Stuff happens.

I do not typically buy large or complex items from Amazon for this reason. I prefer to buy local where I can return items if needed. Appreciate the feedback. I’ll feel better about Amazon if they post my product evaluation, pictures included. Amazon does make buying things simple - but somebody in their system needs to be more diligent about these return issues. I figured this was a ‘return’ for some reason but the flaw was fatal and this unit needed to be removed from salable stock or sold to a ding and dent retailer. I also wished that Amazon would divulge country of manufacture in their listings. You can easily guess some and you can assume most are not made in America. Personally I have experienced really poor satisfaction with Chinese products of all sorts.

I have bought items from the Amazon warehouse that were listed as open box and the item was as new condition as well as other items that had an accurate listing with anything that was missing all at a substantial saving.

I always go into such an endeavor knowing the possibility could be reversed as well.

• Like 1

Well you know if your review says "This product is worse than camel snot on a doorknob" they probably won't print it. Or if your hollering and screaming at the top of your voice.

They have never refused to print my critical reviews. There are some reviews that were tied to the same duplicated producrt with the review on one of them but not on the other even though they are the same product. There are several products like this with duplication and the one with your review might be very hard to find.

JJK

On 6/18/2019 at 8:18 AM, Bosco-d-gama said:

We have reworked our rear yard and had purchased a new chaise lounge from Amazon. So it arrived yesterday. The boxed was clearly repackaged and heavily scuffed. It was not dented or torn but it was absolutely not in new or even near new condition. Opened it up and things appeared proper. Removed the product and found that the cast aluminum frame was fractured. A single chunk had broken free in what looked like a metallurgy failure..... the metal was brittle. Yeah it is going back. It is a real pain and quite disappointing. Amazon was real nice and the episode will not cost me anything accept frustration. 

So what does Amazon do with broken returns? I am beginning to think that they have a warehouse of clearly broken products that are passed on to new purchasers in hopes that they will acceptable. Amazon offered me a discount if I kept this busted up product. Further - if Amazon does harbor ‘marginal’ or ‘failed’ products do they send them to regions they presume are less critical? I am rural, in a small state. Would this ‘beater’ chair have been sent to New York or California? 

Any similar experiences out there? Thoughts?

My Amazon Purchase experiences are by far mostly Positive....  Big or Small, I've had a few random issues over the past decade, most recently bad experience was a gate to prevent weener dogs from running up and down the stairs (had one that ruptured a couple back disc earlier this year). Anyway, the gate was defective. I provided a photo, and they sent me another and told me to keep or discard the damaged one. I fixed it instead, and now we have a gate to keep them weeners out of the lower level guest room and pantry.

Not once has Amazon burned me,...... knock on wood desk.

• Like 1

My purchases at Amazon have also been very positive as some of the returns. Their selection is second to none in most categories. What started me on Amazon

was the selection of Jeans sizes that are not stocked in brick and mortar stores. Electronic items then were next. The return system was very customer oriented also and I liked them sending the UPS label via "E" mail.

JJK

• Like 1

The only thing that bummed me out concerning Amazon was in Jan 2017 they started collecting sales taxes on purchases. Prior most all were tax free. Most all on line sellers are moving to sales tax collection. Many ebay purchases are still tax free, but the move is on there too. Why I compare "total delivered cost" when on line shopping.

Too many taxes on our income. Just ridiculous! Taxed when you earn it, taxed when you spend it. 

I too use and appreciate Amazon........and have placed several orders since this episode went sour. But - when a box is marked ‘fragile, handle with care and do not drop’ and is dispatched with obvious damage there’s a problem. As for my reviews a few of mine have been declined and ‘no’, they were not acerbic. They were accurate. I received a sail shade that was torn and holed. The packaging was fine and my review simply stated ‘sail shade came with a hole in it’, with a photo of the hole. Amazon declined that review. 

Anyway..... the Amazon business model allows customers to return items and no doubt TONS of things get returned. How they get managed once returned should matter to every Amazon customer. When I buy items from a brick and mortar store I will dig for product whose packages appear pristine, or I will inspect the product. Can’t do that with online stores. At Amazon they offer customer reviews to bolster consumer confidence. If that information is biased then it becomes blatant misrepresentation.

I was especially dissatisfied with this situation because it seemed quite certain that this product was likely damaged from the start. I shared the event here. Benefit from my experience, or not. It is your choice.