John Williams vs the world

Heritage_Head

Music can really become an integral part of a movie.  I have a hard time listening to a whole soundtrack of a movie.  I usually have to go watch the movie after hearing the music for a while.  

I really like Bernard Herrmann!  Kind of surprised nobody mentioned him.  If you've seen any Hitchcock movies you've heard him most likely.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Herrmann

There are some really good recordings out there too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, muel said:

Music can really become an integral part of a movie.  I have a hard time listening to a whole soundtrack of a movie.  I usually have to go watch the movie after hearing the music for a while.  

I really like Bernard Herrmann!  Kind of surprised nobody mentioned him.  If you've seen any Hitchcock movies you've heard him most likely.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Herrmann

I had not heard of him. I know his movies doing a quick search. Not really into movies of that time. Music different story. Late 70s is probably my cut off time line wise for movies. 

9 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

I had not heard of him. I know his movies doing a quick search. Not really into movies of that time. Music different story. Late 70s is probably my cut off time line wise for movies. 

Oh you gotta give Hitchcock a chance... especially the earlier ones I think.  "The Trouble with Harry" is funny yet a tiny bit dark.  

Sinbad and Journey to the center of the earth were more exciting in my youth I suppose.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, muel said:

Oh you gotta give Hitchcock a chance... especially the earlier ones I think.  "The Trouble with Harry" is funny yet a tiny bit dark.  

Sinbad and Journey to the center of the earth were more exciting in my youth I suppose.  

Ive been watching bates motel series. Half way though season 5. These are meant as pre to hitchcock's I think. Good if you haven't seen them. I like those sinbad and journey movies 👍. The late 70s isn't a brick wall. I do like some of that stuff. 

45 minutes ago, muel said:

The Fantasy Film World of Bernard Hermann  (Decca 1974) was a recommended "audiophile" album from one of the high-end stereo rags for a long time.

• Like 1

One of my John Williams favorites is Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind  with Zubin Mehta conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic (London 1978). MFSL had a high quality release of this version too.

Suites From Star Wars And Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

• Like 2

Couple in my collection:

Soundtrack - Mysterious Island: The Complete Bernard Herrmann Motion Picture Score ; William Stromberg and The Moscow Symphony Orchestra
Soundtrack - Vertigo- Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Bernard Herrmann; Joel McNeely Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Fun to use when playing, "Name that Movie." 

Also fun to play loud!  The neighbors wouldn't know quite what to think.

3 hours ago, muel said:

(I've been researching him a bit after reading your post). He's ranked #1 on this list. 

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls005359850/

I really love Hans 3 Batman scores. And the batman vs superman (hated the movie but the score was great). 

Hans song "Beautiful lie" If you have never heard it. Please listen. After the 1min mark that piano riff is epic imo. The soundtrack is on spotify. Klipsch do it justice.