Thanks Bob Mould

rplace

Just a passing thought.....

Whenever I buy a vinyl LP and it includes the digital download it makes me smile. While I don't always have enough time for a dedicated listening session. I almost always have music on in the background. I can't tell you how it burns my @ss to buy something in one format and really like it then feel compelled to buy the CD just to rip it to FLAC for my music server then have that CD sit around taking up space. Yes I know I should be streaming things but I don't. I live in the middle of nowhere like a hermit with out access to broad band. Hard to believe this day and age.

Back to your typical Coffee, Golf and Bourbon discussions.....

-Rich Out!

bob%20mould_sunshine%20rock.jpg

• Like 1

It’s possible to rip vinyl directly to FLAC.  I do it with the hidden treasures I find in used record stores.  It’s more work than ripping a CD, but I’d do it before buying a CD version of a vinyl recording just to rip that.  The lost treasures found in used record shops are usually not available in a digital format, which necessitates ripping from vinyl directly to FLAC.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

It’s possible to rip vinyl directly to FLAC.  I do it with the hidden treasures I find in used record stores.  It’s more work than ripping a CD, but I’d do it before buying a CD version of a vinyl recording just to rip that.  The lost treasures found in used record shops are usually not available in a digital format, which necessitates ripping from vinyl directly to FLAC.

I've contemplated it a bit. I've even looked into expensive (Mac) phono stages with ADCs and inexpensive options. In the end I find my time is the problem....I just don't have any. If I had the time to take an LP out, brush it, set up the digital end of things, etc....I'd just be listening to vinyl. I have zero computer equipment in my vinyl playback location and there is no way I'm tearing my vinyl set up down to schlep it into the dining room (least used location) and stacking up piles of LPs. My wife is already pretty tolerant about all things music. I could only imagine if I said I'm buying another TT and taking over another room for the next 6 months to convert all my LPs to digital.

Believe me I want to record all my LPs to digital formats, but in the end if I really want it at my finger tips in any room I find it easier, for me at lest, to just plunk down 3-7 dollars for a used CD, have it delivered to my door, rip it while I'm working (work from home almost exclusively) and throw it on the pile with the rest of the CDs. Bad for my wallet and bad for the planet but good for my schedule, sigh.

So this is why when I buy an LP and it has the download code I'm pleasantly surprised. They have to know at some level they are slighting themselves on a few bucks. I choose to believe that as artists they think it is the right thing to do. I can't see the record companies saying:

let's add on some expense to print up those cards, stand up a download site with more complexity than the standard DL site for only purchases just to be nice.

Anyway, like I said it makes me smile. Thanks again Bob M.

12 hours ago, rplace said:

I know I should be streaming things but I don't.

Why should you? Just curious... I like having the medium...vinyl, cd.

I don't have a clue about your budget, but you could plug your phono pre or system line out into this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/H1n--zoom-h1n-handy-recorder

Then copy the files off to your computer. These do a really nice job, they have pricier models, too.

Bruce

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

Why should you?

Actually, I don't think I should. I just figured the topic would move towards "if you stream xyz all your problems are magically solved". Was trying to avoid that discussion and see what people thought of DL cards provided with physical media. I like it.

I too like knowing the physical media in hand. However, thinking back to single CD player, then 5-disc changer with random, then Nachimichi programmable via remote (disc number, track number, repeat) having it all on a server with well though out application is pretty nice.

Thanks for the link. If I ever carve out some time I'd love to tackle it.

• Like 1