3 hours ago, veloceleste said:

Has anyone tried these with extended heritage models? I did a forums search and not much came up. I have to replace risers on Chorus II so I thought about stands but there aren't many platform type stands in the 3.5" to 6" range. I'm not interested in building my own nor having custom stands made. Also, I like the theory behind the IsoAcoustics stands. Any comments are appreciated.

I have Iso Acoustic stands for my KEF LS 50s in my office - they are awesome but are only good up to 60 lbs - Chorus ii weigh over 80 lbs - so I do not think they would work for that application

My opinion is that I'm a fan of continuous solid surfaces to allow the expanding waves' uninterrupted growth / development.  In that vein, I don't "grok" a less-than-solid coupling of the cabinet to the floor.  If I had a pair of Chorus speakers with compromised risers and I didn't want to fashion replacements, I'd remove them and set the cabinets directly on the floor.

I have iso on ALL of my speakers and subs. I live and listen on a suspended floor  on joists above  a garage.  If I was on a slab I would not choose to decouple. I would suggest the sub ones for your chorus. I’ve placed my heresy 3 on other ones that looked wobbly but work and completely stable.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, veloceleste said:

Thanks. I've seen that picture before and they look great but way more than I'm willing to spend. 

Thanks. IsoAcoustics do make a stand that will support up to 100 lbs. The old version (still available) is 5.5" high and the new version is 3.5" high. According to the company the new version does a better job of isolation and is the same height as original risers. The old version would get me closer to Moray James' recommendation for height though. Decisions, decisions.....Thanks agin to both for your replies.

I suggest that if you are handy you can build your own stands and the Skylan is an excellent model to fashion a clone from.

I find it amusingly interesting that most of the improvements described (in the snippets provided in the article) as results of decoupling the speakers are almost verbatim the improvements usually described as results of spiking speakers that had been sitting on padded carpeting!  It's utterly impossible for the same improvements to be achieved by anchoring a previously-floating speaker as by floating a previously-anchored speaker.  This, in particular, is a perfect example of expectation bias being debunked by careful measurement; as well one of careful measurement being decried by those who "know what they heard."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm relaunching the subject a little, I don't know if @veloceleste has continued his research, but what do you think of my possible project, I hesitate to do that on my CWIII

I will read the rest of your reviews carefully, because I would like to make a 2 or 3 "stand (in addition to the original 2" riser) for my Cornwall IIIs. And also I look at what to put to move them easily, I saw the 3M "gliss" pads which seems excellent for moving, they exist with rubber to insulate a little.

FCC8C1E01C-patin-adhesif-glisseur-gliss-

the project might look like this in the end

lby1.jpeg

The advantage is that the CWIII remains original and everything is absolutely reversible. The hidden part will follow the internal shape of the riser (in particular to prevent falls) and the support will rest on the bottom of the CWIII thanks to elastomer supports for large industrial machine tools.

https://www.wattelez.com/en/product/gripsol-red-11/

dalle-anti-vibration-gripsol-charge-lour

Note: concerning Gripsols, they are self-adhesive, but I use them with their protective film, so they do not stick and will not damage the bottom of the CWIII. I would stick them only on the bottom DIY support

p790.jpeg

😎