New LaScala drivers and horns compatible with vintage?

32 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I have done so in the past and don't mind doing it. A case of belts and suspenders is how I usually roll. Just didn't look like it is needed and has never been an issue with mine.

Real life experience is what has been promoted in this thread (vs specs) and that is my experience. I called PE several years ago when I bought mine and they did not feel it would make contact. 

Regardless of Xlim, the driver will not reach full excusion unless too many watts and too "stupid loud" of a level is reached. 1.5 mm, is what a Khorn does at full output. However, for Dave's Super MWM's it's possible he would reach that Xlim based on max ecursion of the woofer, especially below horn cutoff of 31 Hz. But not likely to happen in normal listening.

31 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Regardless of Xlim, the driver will not reach full excusion unless too many watts and too "stupid loud" of a level is reached. 1.5 mm, is what a Khorn does at full output. However, for Dave's Super MWM's it's possible he would reach that Xlim based on max ecursion of the woofer, especially below horn cutoff of 31 Hz. But not likely to happen in normal listening.

I agree, its the dummy that hits the bass boost button on their receiver or similar stunt you mentioned i would worry about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jason str said:

I agree, its the dummy that hits the bass boost button on their receiver or similar stunt you mentioned i would worry about.

I would too, but only in a Cornwall, not with a full horn back chamber to limit the excursion.

5 hours ago, jason str said:

If you could CNC for those interested it would be a big help.

Those 15" spacers are small enough for me to cut on my mill which I will have a go at doing when the 15C's you and Claude forced me to buy arrive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

Yeah I am thinking hard about trying these out on the S-MWM's first. See now you want me to buy two sets of 15C's don't you. Go on you might as well admit it.

Not sure you need to try them on that big horn. it's more for a LaScala with passive. Besides you can EQ up the woofer at the 500 Hz. end if need be. Wait for our measurements first and foremost.