Wire for crossovers

iaRIVR

A painfully basic question I realize but I'm going to make new crossovers for a pair for Forte IIs (very crowded with sonicaps from Crites), can anyone link to a specific wire I should use?  I've read 12-16 gauge, larger for woofers.  Sometimes people recommend very specific brands, gauges, types, so I'm hoping someone can say 'this here wire is a good 'un.'  Not looking to go high end.

They will be mounted on wood board very similar to the way you see Crites and most crossovers here. 

I'll redo wiring for-

1) Internal crossover connections

2) Internal wires to drivers

8 hours ago, iaRIVR said:

can anyone link to a specific wire I should use? 

I like Monoprice, 16 AWG.  It will be thin enough to be flexible on your XO board.  The link is open box and 100 feet is more than you need but for eighteen bucks I don't see how you can do better.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38672

Edit:  I just checked the link and it is now Out Of Stock.  Do some searching and look for 16 AWG OFC wire, high strand count.

+++

That being said:  I am not the authority on wiring so when somebody makes a better suggestion, listen to them, not me.  @BEC and @Deang are very knowledgeable.  We have several on this forum.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You bad.

I try:) My apologies to the OP if any offense was taken. My post was kind of an inside joke from another thread.

As to the OPs question , for the length of wire that we are talking about inside a speaker cabinet or crossover 16 gauge good quality (pure copper) wire should/would suffice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, babadono said:

What? Not silver plated Mil-Spec 8 AWG? Come on man! These speakers are going to Mars:)

I also saw the humor :emotion-21:

Thanks all!  I got what I need, 16 AWG pure copper hook up wire it is.

Appreciate it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, babadono said:

What? Not silver plated Mil-Spec 8 AWG? Come on man! These speakers are going to Mars:)

Better be Platinum plated then!! Or better GOLD! Gold is called a Noble metal FOR A REASON! 😉

V'ger! V-ger!! HELP!! BZZZZZT! 😉

John Kuthe...

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I am not the authority on wiring so when somebody makes a better suggestion, listen to them, not me.  @BEC and @Deang would qualify as experts.  We have several on this forum.

I am not an expert. Please don't call me that. I have some experience building things -- that doesn't make me an expert. 

At any rate, I use 16 gauge tin annealed stranded copper wire, and tinned buss wire for the negative connections on the barrier strip.

https://www.jameco.com/z/3815-100-16-AWG-Solid-Tinned-Copper-Bus-Bar-Wire-100-Feet_2098515.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I am not an expert. Please don't call me that. I have some experience building things -- that doesn't make me an expert. 

Please forgive the mis-characterization.  It was an error due to my immense respect for your work.

I redacted my post to read "very knowledgeable."  -Dave

• Like 1

Right, just the crossover itself. I use the same thing Klipsch used -- except it's not zip cord.

@JohnA  There's nothing wrong with using the original wire, but after 40 years, some of that insulation is getting a bit brittle. I figure if you're going to redo them, why not start from scratch and just build something nice.

• Like 2