Need suggestions

keyurbhatnagar

Need suggestions on upgrading my home theater. My current setup:-

Reciever - Onkyo TX-NR676 7.2

Front Speakers - Klipsch KLF-10

Rest - Harmon Kardon 5.1 speakers. 

I got the Harmon speakers when I didn't have enough room. Now I have enough space in the basement to have a proper home theater. 

My speakers are currently setup in a Dolby Atmos configuration 5.1.2

I want suggestion on upgrades to my setup. I will only get Klipsch speakers as upgrades. 

thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hi Keyurb!

If your KLF-10 still work and sound like they should, and you like the sound, I'd keep them and try to expand on those speakers. For example, I'd get the matching KLF-C7 center speaker. Sadly, the KLF-series did not have their own surround speakers, but from the link below (page 5), you can see different setups including the surrounds from the KSP and the KSF series. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/287702/Klipsch-Legend-Series-Klf-10.html#manual .

On the other hand, should you want to get a whole new system, I'd go for either the reference(R) series or the reference premiere(RP).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HenrikTJ said:

Hi Keyurb!

If your KLF-10 still work and sound like they should, and you like the sound, I'd keep them and try to expand on those speakers. For example, I'd get the matching KLF-C7 center speaker. Sadly, the KLF-series did not have their own surround speakers, but from the link below (page 5), you can see different setups including the surrounds from the KSP and the KSF series. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/287702/Klipsch-Legend-Series-Klf-10.html#manual .

On the other hand, should you want to get a whole new system, I'd go for either the reference(R) series or the reference premiere(RP).

Thanks HenrikTJ. I will look into it. My KLFs are in perfect condition. 

• Like 2

3k Is a good amount but can go fast. Used is imo the way to go. You can stretch 3k used like its spending 10k buying new. And the great part is that the performance will be as good as your spending the 10k new. Draw back is its not as easy as clicking buy now or walking into a store and pointing. Also you will have to put in the work finding things. Wont happen over night. 

But I promise 2-3 months from now when your all set up. Lookin back doing it like this will be what you'll be most thankful for. And if you ever want to sell anything you won't lose a penny. If your like 90% of the people on here thats all but certain. 

• Like 1

As far as what to get. I say sell the klf (not that they are bad just will be harder to match everything). Put that money with the 3k and start looking on CL and garage sale. I wouldn't censor myself to one set up when looking used. Look for good deals is where to stat. When you find something post on her for opinions on what your looking at and value. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keyurbhatnagar said:

Well its not organized at all and there are still boxes laying around but this is the space.

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

Great room I see your a fellow nerd 👍

Start by getting rid of that center. Disconnect it re run you auto eq set up on your avr. It will set you up as a 4.1. Its called a phantom center. All the center info will be sent to your mains. That center is terrible compared to klf-10s! Also set your mains as large. They will help your sub with your low stuff. 

This will cost nothing and be a big upgrade right now.

Your on concert so when you get some good subs place them behind the couch (called near field). IMHO if you want to keep the klf-10s get subs and a few reference surrounds to replace the ones you have. Put the sub/s near field and run the klf-10s as L/R (C phantom). If you go used you can do this with $500-1k and your system will be 1000x better (no sarcasm). 

117779.jpgKlipsch-Home-Theater-Back1.jpg

If you sell your KLF you can get rid of the tv stand under your tv. To make room for a bigger better center. I placed my gear on a stand I made (pic bellow). You won't need to go that big (center speaker). Or you can get a shorter audio stand. The room you have is a bit tight on that stand to your tv. Then we can put your whole 3k (plus klf money) to full use. 

152234.jpg

91C0dRjhg2L._SL1500_.jpgike.jpg

• Like 1

The single biggest improvement you can do is pick up the best center speaker you can afford.  IMO that would be an RC-64 III.  The previous models RC-64 and RC-64 II are available from time-to-time on the used market.  Any of them would be outstanding.

Don't sweat "timbre matching" as the L/R do not play the same content as the center speaker.  Ninety percent of TV/movies is dialog, and 90% of dialog comes out of the center speaker.  A high quality center with clear dialog does not make the mains sound worse.

+++

That being said you've gotten some excellent advice further upstream ^^^.  If you can pick up some good speakers used in good condition you can really stretch your budget.

+++

Speaking of budget I would suggest you contact forum members @MetropolisLakeOutfitters Cory, or Steven @Scrappydue.  They are authorized Klipsch dealers  who work together.  The prices are outstanding and they will give you good advice, even if that doesn't make a sale.  Both are very knowledgeable and are worth your trust.  I've bought speakers from them and I can't say enough good things.  They won't solicit your business but if you click on a name and send a PM they will respond quickly.

Ask what they have in B stock.  The product is first rate and it can save you some money.

+++

I own the RC-64 III.  Highly recommended.

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The single biggest improvement you can do is pick up the best center speaker you can afford.  IMO that would be an RC-64 III. 

Don't sweat "timbre matching" as the L/R do not play the same content as the center speaker.  Ninety percent of TV/movies is dialog, and 90% of dialog comes out of the center speaker.  A high quality center with clear dialog does not make the mains sound worse.

+++

That being said you've gotten some excellent advice further upstream ^^^.  If you can pick up some good speakers used in good condition you can really stretch your budget.

+++

Speaking of budget I would suggest you contact forum members @MetropolisLakeOutfitters Cory, or Steven @Scrappydue.  They are authorized Klipsch dealers  who work together.  The prices are outstanding and they will give you good advice, even if that doesn't make a sale.  Both are very knowledgeable and are worth your trust.  I've bought speakers from them and I can't say enough good things.  They won't solicit your business but if you click on a name and send a PM they will respond quickly.

Ask what they have in B stock.  The product is first rate and it can save you some money.

+++

I own the RC-64 III.  Highly recommended.

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

Me and wvu80 agree to disagree on this. Your center (hurts even calling it that) is barley a pc speaker. Its gotta go first thing no matter what! So we do agree I think that your set up biggest weakness is that tiny center (as your system sits right now). ^^ advise is true. 90% of ht/tv is the center. But running no center (phantom) all that 90% will be still coming out of those klf. For the price of a B stock rc64iii (which I agree with wvu80 would be a huge upgrade). That $800ish can be spent on good subs and great surrounds. And for that first 800 money spent will have a way bigger impact imo than putting a big center with nothing more than a pc sub and pc speakers as surrounds.

You can still do the center (And I agree with wvu80 you absolutely should). I just don't see it as the best first move. To much unusable level stuff left imo (the sub and rears). With just a center upgrade. You can still upgrade the center by running a phantom for now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Me and wvu80 agree to disagree on this.

I agree with you, and that it's a disagreement with a healthy respect for the other view.  Each of us is giving advice based on our experience and knowledge.  Sharing different experiences and viewpoints is how we learn.  Mr. @Heritage_Head does a super job of explaining how a phantom center works, and he's right.  Great job, as always!  :emotion-21:

7 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Your center (hurts even calling it that) is barley a pc speaker. Its gotta go first thing

On this, I think we can both safely agree.  B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

None of us have the holy grail of ways to do this. Just whats worked for us, and most importantly what hasn't (best leasons). Keep an open mind. Your gonna have to research more about what your reading here to get a bigger picture on everything were talking about. And then go with what you find to be best. Just to much to go into in a forum thread. On all the little things. 

Some people have more money than time. Or don't have the energy or desire to buy used. Some can be afraid or intimated by it (I was a little). Its harder to buy used when you don't know or are unsure. And gets easier as you become more experienced with whats what.

Some people don't care about bass. In fact its more a problem than anything. With kids and wives/husbands trying to sleep or reed. It can be a mess and not something someone wants to invest much of the budget into.

Same with the surrounds because they watch mostly espn/news and old movies. So investing a large budget into those is also possibly a waste.

My point is my way and what will matter imo most is always going to have some bias (or a lot). As will everyones. I try not to be bias on these threads and give advise on the op. But there to many holes to fill with info about the person asking. So we fill in the blanks with our own experiences. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I agree with you, and that it's a disagreement with a healthy respect for the other view.  Each of us is giving advice based on our experience and knowledge.  Sharing different experiences and viewpoints is how we learn.  Mr. @Heritage_Head does a super job of explaining how a phantom center works, and he's right.  Great job, as always!  :emotion-21:

On this, I think we can both safely agree.  B)

We agree on all of that sir 👍

• Like 1