1978 Klipschorns

Blackbird

I have a pair of 1978 Klipschorns that I bought from a gentleman in Alabama about 8 years ago.  The left side of the speaker had a blemish near the top of the midrange horn as shown in the photo.  How do I go about getting rid of this spot that is about 2 feet wide and half a foot tall?  Do I have to refinish the entire speaker?  Thanks.

Klipschorn.jpeg

• Haha 1

I would take a look at Howard Restor a Finish. You should be able to match the finish you have on those.

The klipsch label on the backs would indicate the original finish used when made.

I've never used it but there are many forum members here who have.

When do you get your moondogs back from the shop?

Bruce

There is a lot that depends on how deep the "blemish" is.....Howard's Restore a Finish is a good product, but isn't going to fix/hide deeper scratches, none of the wipe on/wipe off finishes is going to do that.  You may need to go to fine steel wool in that area.  However, there are many smarter wood magicians here than myself.  Better closeup photos would help.

Looks to me like you could go with 0000 steel wool and Howards Restore A Finish.  Apply with the grain, let it sit for a minute, and then wipe dry with a lint free cotton cloth, again wiping with the grain.  Depending on the results, you may have to do it a couple of times, separated by 8 hours or so.

4 hours ago, Moit said:

this restore job was done with 0000 steel wool and Watco rejuvenating oil

i also replaced the fabric. these are older photos, the darkness in the finished photo has diminished over time as well

Amazing job.  I will use the 0000 steel wool and Watco oil.  Do you think I should redo both speakers to have the exact match?

you will end up doing both once you see how nice they can look. Mine were very dusty/dirty so i started with a very mild solution of water and dawn dish soap, damp wiped them down, with dry cloth right after. Then the steel wool and Watco oil, which has no stain added, it will only bring back to life what you have. Good luck, post some photos

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 6:31 PM, Blackbird said:

I have a pair of 1978 Klipschorns that I bought from a gentleman in Alabama about 8 years ago.  The left side of the speaker had a blemish near the top of the midrange horn as shown in the photo.  How do I go about getting rid of this spot that is about 2 feet wide and half a foot tall?  Do I have to refinish the entire speaker?  Thanks.

Klipschorn.jpeg

Does the blemish affect its sound?

If not, I'd not worry too much About it!

John Kuthe...

26 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

Does the blemish affect its sound?

If not, I'd not worry too much About it!

John Kuthe...

No, but I want the speaker to look nice.  However, it may affect the sound if I keep looking at the speaker's blemish and it distracts my music.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

No, but I want the speaker to look nice.  However, it may affect the sound if I keep looking at the speaker's blemish and it distracts my music.

I hear that! But my La Scalas and Heresys look like crap but sound like angels! So I forgive them for their superficial blemishes!

John Kuthe...