Chorus 1 Midrange Woes

15 hours ago, Somethingsfishy said:

Wait, how do I rotate them? That's precisely my problem—one of them is barely audiable, the other is perfect. Do you mean rotate in the literal sense, as in within the driver? 

For the record, even with the slightly "lopsided" treble, the recap made a big SQ difference. I'm intensely skeptical about claimed SQ differences as a result of simply swapping components (not materials, volumes, sources, etc) but this was beyond dispute. Damn!!! 

Moray clarified rotation I believe. I have probably gone through 10 sets of Chorus I's and II's now and ALL of them had real improvement with recapping.  One other thing to check I forgot to mention is see that the magnet where the diaphragm voice coil goes is concentric with the magnet. If your magnet has shifted for some reason you need a new driver. I am thinking rotation will solve your problem though.

GOT IT!

It wasn't just rotation—something in the Ti diaphragm was getting pinched when I tightened it to the horn. By leaving the diaphragm loosely-hand-tight against the horn, instead of wrenching it down completely, the connection is maintained. 

Not sure what did that—I made a point of tightening in increments during the initial installation. Something may have been frail to begin with. 

Anyways, they're singing now. 

Track recommendation for the day: the soundtracks to the original Bungie-developed Halo games, composed by Marty O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori. Being a video game fan is entirely unnecessary to appreciate their work—they used a full orchestra (and *much* more).

Of course, if you *did* grow up playing Halo, the "memory lane" bonus is lovely. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Somethingsfishy said:

Halo games, composed by Marty O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori.

Glad you solved it :D  Better than Forte's now? :) Edit ... thought you were comparing them to your Forte's ... reread the post ... wrong :( 

Found the Halo 3 soundtrack ... actually found several such as Overture/Released/etc ... which piece were you referring to?  Interesting music ... might be good to check out my system :)  But ... have not found a flv file yet :( 

Cheers, Emile

3 hours ago, Emile said:

Glad you solved it :D  Better than Forte's now? :) Edit ... thought you were comparing them to your Forte's ... reread the post ... wrong :( 

Found the Halo 3 soundtrack ... actually found several such as Overture/Released/etc ... which piece were you referring to?  Interesting music ... might be good to check out my system :)  But ... have not found a flv file yet :( 

Cheers, Emile

The entire soundtrack is very good, but of the H3 pieces, probably Three Gates the Final Hog Run. 

The best is probably H2, of those try: Impend; Heretic, Hero; Peril, Leonidas, or Reclaimer. (The last being quite high-strung)  Though again, hard to go wrong with any of the actual tracks (i.e. the more-than-ambient ones) 

Edited by Somethingsfishy
  • Thanks 1