I moved, need advice with Khorn setup

cincymat

Moved to a new home in southeastern NC. The room I've been allowed to use for my 2 channel system is going to be a challenge. The room is 17' 10" long x 12'1" wide with 8' ceiling. I placed the Khorns along the long wall to start. I think the room is too narrow for that. Here's a screenshot of a room modes calculator I found on line. Not sure what to make of this. The link to the website is : https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=18&w=12&h=8&ft=true&r60=0.6 

1331060206_ScreenShot2019-06-20at1_35_13PM.thumb.png.ea41dae651eeb9919b34355050dc4321.png

Open for suggestions, want to get this room setup as best as reasonably possible. Planning to be here a while. 

Thanks,

cincy

• Like 1

Generally, I think you'll find a good position about 6-9 feet from the narrow wall position of Khorns (shown below from the REW Room Sim facility):

990350429_CincymatsroomsimfromREW.thumb.JPG.f30cab97a7d80b029d3bb29c24613ee4.JPG

You can run REW measurements, moving the microphone position back in one foot increments, about on centerline of the narrow axis (but not exactly on-axis between the two long walls), and run 10 Hz to 300 Hz sweeps to see the trade offs in null and peak frequencies.  It's always less severe than in these room sims.

Chris

I have almost the same identical size room that my K-Horns are in. Unfortunately I cannot put them on the long wall, so they are in the corners of the short wall. I have them toed outward, so they are not snug in the corners. The backs are sealed, so I can get away with it. Not the best setup, but I can get a pretty decent sound out of the room.

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

• Like 4

Is that an upstairs room? Kind of looked like it with the angled ceiling and similar to mine except that wall is right at 15' wide and the long wall is about 30 feet. I have my Belles on the long wall right now with other things on the short wall but might change. Sounds pretty good right now and I'll be adding a Table Tuba sub in the near future. I might try moving Belles to short wall which gives them corners....but makes it tougher for sub. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 2:28 PM, cincymat said:

Moved to a new home in southeastern NC.

Where in NC did you end up?  Just couldn't stand this glorious Ohio weather anymore?  LOL.  Someday, I'm getting back out of here, but it will be a while, unless we can take our granddaughter.  

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

Where in NC did you end up?  Just couldn't stand this glorious Ohio weather anymore?  LOL.  Someday, I'm getting back out of here, but it will be a while, unless we can take our granddaughter.  

Sunset Beach, in the Sea Trail sub division. 

Ohio is too rainy! 

Cincy

2 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Sunset Beach, in the Sea Trail sub division. 

Ohio is too rainy! 

Cincy

Good for you.  Did a bit of building from North Myrtle and up in your area as well when I was in South Carolina.  Great place to be, especially if you like to golf.  

4 hours ago, avguytx said:

Is that an upstairs room? Kind of looked like it with the angled ceiling and similar to mine except that wall is right at 15' wide and the long wall is about 30 feet. I have my Belles on the long wall right now with other things on the short wall but might change. Sounds pretty good right now and I'll be adding a Table Tuba sub in the near future. I might try moving Belles to short wall which gives them corners....but makes it tougher for sub. 

Yes, it’s a finished room above the garage. 

Cincy

4 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

Do you have them sealed to the corners,my room is 12.5 x 14.5 and my Klipschorns sound fine in my room.I have them sealed to the corners with pipe insulation .

F7AE45D7-2738-4AB8-BB28-9FABDEC5D079.jpeg

Nice rack of equipment! 

I do have them sealed in the corners with pipe insulation. 

Cincy

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Good for you.  Did a bit of building from North Myrtle and up in your area as well when I was in South Carolina.  Great place to be, especially if you like to golf.  

I like to golf, hit the beach, and play pickle ball. Great place for all of that. 

North Myrtle has just exploded in population the last 10 years. It's a little more laid back here in N.C. 

Yes, I bought this pair in the spring from a guy that was selling them for His Church,a lady donated them and I was lucky enough to be within a 4 hour drive.He listed them on this site and I was looking for a pair in Ribbon Mahogany with AK-4 crossovers.

• Thanks 1

Cincymat does your Klipschorns have any upgrades,I bought a pair off the forum last year that has the 2” tractrix horns,with crites CT-125 tweeters,k-55v solder plug minds and crites a/4500 .I have enough pieces to upgrade my other pair the ribbon mahogany pair,but I just can’t bring myself to mess with that pair.I am originally from Central NC and we loved the NC Coast.

I bought mine from @richieb a couple of years ago. The were rebuilt by Dave of Fastlane Audio fame. They have Dave's tractrix squawker horns, and non stock tweeters. They came with ALK steep slope X-Overs. I bought a set of Dean G's AA X-Overs with the flat stack caps from @Schu and like them a little better.  Using a Decware Rachel amp, sounds sweet. 

My my wife said my man cave looks like my dorm room from the 70's. I said that was exactly what I was going for. 😎 

Cincy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, cincymat said:

Chris and Kevin,

Thanks for your help. Moved everything around yesterday and am pleased with the results.

Here's a pic of the new location:

IMG_0645.thumb.jpeg.ffd8ea950967ba7530c0ec7bdc8cd951.jpeg

Thanks again,

Cincy

On 6/22/2019 at 4:26 PM, cincymat said:

my wife said my man cave looks like my dorm room

I did not see this in your picture...

after 12 beer can budweiser dreamcatcher g rated Hall of Fame panties redneck - 6297524736

• Haha 2

On 6/21/2019 at 8:58 AM, kevinmi said:

I have almost the same identical size room that my K-Horns are in. Unfortunately I cannot put them on the long wall, so they are in the corners of the short wall. I have them toed outward, so they are not snug in the corners. The backs are sealed, so I can get away with it. Not the best setup, but I can get a pretty decent sound out of the room.

K-Horns 002-30.jpg

I love what you did with those horns! Do you have a link to your build? What driver you use with that?