David Gilmour Guitar Auction

Dave1290

Hold onto it until you hear someone who you think has a good chance of making it big.  Then give it to them.  That's true charity.

Donating to climate change is meaningless without leadership willing to do something about it.  In the last two years US air is dirtier than it used to be.  I'm relatively sure the water supply is going to show similar readings, because short term money is more important than long term responsibility.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

It was in the Indy paper, the Colt's owner Jim Irsay purchased the top three sellers of this auction, including the black Strat for 3.9 million.

I'm a big fan of Gilmour but......3.9 million? Clearly Irsay has money to burn, is worth 2.7 billion. At the end of the day, it's just a guitar hanging on the wall. I'm just not a star struck kind of guy. 

• Like 1

Likely an oddball analogy....but we've all seen those TV evangelists where they grab the person....put their palm on the person's forehead....  scream out demons be gone or something....and the person safely falls backwards into someone's waiting arms...their life greatly improved.

So, you or I can walk by a guitar store....and look at a sample in the window.  Buy it and sell it for less once it's out on the street.

Mr. Gilmour however, can walk in, buy it...  put his hand on its forehead and it's immediately jumped up in value merely because he's touched/used it.

I'll bet those TV evangelists get ticked off seeing that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Yes, I do get rather annoyed with that....but then seeing all the money in the collection plate and realizing that I'll easily be able to make the next payment on my Maserati eases my pain.....

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Likely an oddball analogy....but we've all seen those TV evangelists where they grab the person....put their palm on the person's forehead....  scream out demons be gone or something....and the person safely falls backwards into someone's waiting arms...their life greatly improved.

So, you or I can walk by a guitar store....and look at a sample in the window.  Buy it and sell it for less once it's out on the street.

Mr. Gilmour however, can walk in, buy it...  put his hand on its forehead and it's immediately jumped up in value merely because he's touched/used it.

So basically he can make millions just buying and selling guitars lmao. Pop a sig on them for a few extra bucks. 

31 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

So basically he can make millions just buying and selling guitars lmao. Pop a sig on them for a few extra bucks. 

I thought about that when I posted above. What this auction proves is Gilmour can purchase a guitar, play a concert with it and maybe autograph it, and no doubt he could get a half million dollars for it easy.

But what I know about David Gilmour, he wouldn't do that just to make money. He has enough reserves already, and royalties rolling in every day. He did this auction to benefit a cause, a charity rallying against global warming. Bravo to Mr. Gilmour in my book.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, polizzio said:

I thought about that when I posted above. What this auction proves is Gilmour can purchase a guitar, play a concert with it and maybe autograph it, and no doubt he could get a half million dollars for it easy.

But what I know about David Gilmour, he wouldn't do that just to make money. He has enough reserves already, and royalties rolling in every day. He did this auction to benefit a cause, a charity rallying against global warming. Bravo to Mr. Gilmour in my book.

I have a very similar opinion of him. Huge fan of David. Anyone who can put up with Waters (who I'm an ever bigger fan of) for 20 years deserves a holiday named after him lol. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Coytee said:

True story, we have one of those in Destrehan, LA. Jesse Duplantis, lives in a 10 million dollar multi story plantation on the Mississippi River, probably 7000 square feet living area. Well he made a plea to his flock to fund a new 54 million dollar private jet (would be his 4th jet) for himself. His old one was not up to the task any longer. The news media caught wind of this and it was all over the local and national news.

And he tried to justify this to the new media. "Jesus wouldn't be riding a donkey today" was one of his replies. Still trying to solicit funding for the new jet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44305873

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, jimjimbo said:

Well, somebody's got to do it, cause the suits in D.C. sure ain't doing a damn thing.

They shouldn't do anything of the sort with our tax money. Infrastructure is more important. China is a far worse polluter than the USA, but they aren't doing a damn thing either. Besides, not all scientists agree on the issue. The earth is cyclical on it's own with or without our help.

55 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

They shouldn't do anything of the sort with our tax money. Infrastructure is more important. China is a far worse polluter than the USA, but they aren't doing a damn thing either. Besides, not all scientists agree on the issue. The earth is cyclical on it's own with or without our help.

You bet and 10,000 years ago there was an ice age but no pollution to speak of to cause this warming. I will say this guy gets an attaboy for being willing to spend his own money and not money forcibly taken from others which seems to be the suits in DC's way. Misguided yes but still a man of conviction with his own money. The very best thing he could do would be to advocate for manufacturing to be brought back from the two greatest polluters on earth namely China and India who always get a pass from eco warriors and the Chamber of Commerce types.

They took down the glaciers are retreating signs in Glacier National Park this year because they are not anymore.