David Gilmour Guitar Auction

Dave1290

58 minutes ago, Dave A said:

You bet and 10,000 years ago there was an ice age but no pollution to speak of to cause this warming. I will say this guy gets an attaboy for being willing to spend his own money and not money forcibly taken from others which seems to be the suits in DC's way. Misguided yes but still a man of conviction with his own money. The very best thing he could do would be to advocate for manufacturing to be brought back from the two greatest polluters on earth namely China and India who always get a pass from eco warriors and the Chamber of Commerce types.

They took down the glaciers are retreating signs in Glacier National Park this year because they are not anymore.

Who buys the products from the two greatest polluters on earth?  Let's bring back manufacturing to the 3rd greatest polluter on earth.  Simple minds think of simple solutions.  This is a complex problem which needs at the least reaction if not action.  Check out the pentagon assessments, they at least are not burying their heads in the sand.  By the way, global warming leads to climate change and will affect different parts of the globe differently.  Enjoy your glacier, many others will enjoys floods and drought.  It is so much more complex of an issue than what anyone seems to be willing to acknowledge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Enjoy your glacier, many others will enjoys floods and drought.  It is so much more complex of an issue than what anyone seems to be willing to acknowledge.

No one knows preccisely and unequivocally why things really happen. No one could measure accurately until the advent of satellites worth a flip so good data generation has been around a very short time and please inform me again how accurate long range weather forecasting is? Then of course there are well documented instances of fraud on the data collection by those who get grants by crying the sky is falling. It would be much easier to believe if the sky is falling crowd were not so eager to take things from everyone while flying around in great big private jets and living in 10 different large houses and using specious lists of "concerned scientists" as front men. Funny how so many concerned celebrities have beach front dwellings when the world is going to end in 12 years. Again. Will it be warming or cooling depends on what is getting traction not what is really happening.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Let's bring back manufacturing to the 3rd greatest polluter on earth

Great misleading comment. Based on manufacturing output and the quantity of pollution generated to do so the USA is far more efficient and less polluting. So things are getting better here and worse there even though our output is rising fairly fast once again. Perhaps total output might be the reason for your assertion we are the third worst  but per person per man hour of work and product produced we are way below third. Prove me wrong. You want to save the environment bring manufacturing back here.

10 hours ago, Dave A said:

I will say this guy gets an attaboy for being willing to spend his own money

How does one decipher that....  he bought the guitars for "X" dollars.....used them (was he able to expense them?)...

Because of what he's accomplished, the guitars now sell for 1,000 times "X" if not more....and he gives the money away.

So he's only out what he paid for the guitars, not the millions they bring in.

BUT, he COULD have had the millions they brought in....  so now, did he donate the millions that didn't come from his pocket or did he?

11 minutes ago, Coytee said:

How does one decipher that....  he bought the guitars for "X" dollars.....used them (was he able to expense them?)...

Because of what he's accomplished, the guitars now sell for 1,000 times "X" if not more....and he gives the money away.

BUT, he COULD have had the millions they brought in....  so now, did he donate the millions that didn't come from his pocket or did he?

I believe he was referring to the winning bidder, Jim Orsay, not Gilmour.

21 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

He wasn't even the best player in the Yardbirds, he was third 😀

The Clapton line-up recorded two singles, the blues "I Wish You Would" and "Good Morning, School Girl", before the band scored its first major hit with "For Your Love", a Graham Gouldman composition with a prominent harpsichord part by Brian Auger. "For Your Love" hit the top of the charts in the UK and Canada and reached number six in the United States, but it displeased Clapton, a blues purist whose vision extended beyond three-minute singles. Frustrated by the commercial approach, he abruptly left the band on 25 March 1965, the day the single was released.[15] Soon Clapton joined John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, but not before he recommended Jimmy Page, a prominent young session guitarist, to replace him. Content with his lucrative sessions work, and worried about both his health and the politics of Clapton's departure, Page in turn recommended his friend Jeff Beck.[16] Beck played his first gig with the Yardbirds only two days after Clapton's departure.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Sorry, but as been said many gazillions of times, Clapton Is God.

Clapton is God.jpg

That may have been true for a brief period, but Jeff Beck, side by side on stage,  has proven, over and over, at different shows over the years,  that he can outplay Clapton any day of the week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

There comes a point in any person't life, where they have more money than they can possbily enjoy personally. Cars and houses need maintenance and you can only drive/live in so many of them. All of these rock superstars get to a point where they don't need any more money and have the power to generate millions they don't need from charity concerts and auctions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

That may have been true for a brief period, but Jeff Beck, side by side on stage,  has proven, over and over, at different shows over the years,  that he can outplay Clapton any day of the week.

Thankfully for at least one more time, they will be on stage together when I see them in September in Dallas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Thankfully for at least one more time, they will be on stage together when I see them in September in Dallas.

And that reminds me Claude, I would like to get a recommendation from you for a very good "point and shoot" camera to take photos of that event (indoors, American Airlines Center)  Detachable lens cameras are not permitted, and I have never had any luck shooting concerts with my phone, so that's out.  Have great seats, so long zoom is not necessary.  PM me if you like, thanks.

@ClaudeJ1

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Jimmy Page, the third Yardbird guitar whiz from Surrey, has been friends with Jeff Beck since they were 11 years old, and is THE biggest Jeff Beck fan, if you watch his speech at the 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony you will hear this: "Jeff keeps getting better and better, while us mere mortals watch in awe."

I remember Page being interviewed by CREEM magazine in the 70's, during the height of Led Zeppelin's fame. When asked: "You are considered to be the premier guitarist in Rock, but who do you think is a great guitar player?" Jimmy Pages response: "When he's ON, no one in the world can touch Jeff Beck."

Also, David Gilmour, in an interview, pointed out that Jeff Beck was requested to play his amazing guitar sold "Where Were You," at Richard Wright's funeral (Pink Floyd Keyboard player) and that he was Richard's favorite guitarist.

I should also point out that Jeff Beck is a huge John McLaughlin fan. However you will never see McLaughlin's guitars sold for ridiculous amounts of money. The best players are not necessarily the richest. 

• Like 2