David Gilmour Guitar Auction

Dave1290

On the subject of great guitar players, if you haven't been exposed to Tim Reynolds you should look him up on youtube. Teams a lot with Dave Matthews. Tim can do things with an acoustic guitar, make sounds with it I have never heard anyone else do. Tim is from Germany and is the "man" on acoustic guitar imo.

Reynolds and Matthew together: 

• Like 1

As good as a guitar player as Gilmore was he couldn't write lycris for crap. After Waters left Gilmores wife wrote a lot of pink floyds lycris. They literally sub out the job. Clapton at his best was pretty good, Im a fan of some of his work and respect the rest.

Gilmore sang Waters songs and played Waters music. He wrote imho the greatest solos ever played, but in Waters songs. In his own words "Waters took over and we let him" "probably shouldn't have. Its are own fault" "we were lazy I guess" Gilmore had a family and wanted to spend his time there. Waters pretty much lost his family because he spent all his time on Pink Floyd (wife and kids). Then when Gilmore wanted to change parts of waters songs. Waters as the *** hole he was. Would be like "stay out of my way damit" "I do everything already the last thing I need is to argue with the people that aren't even helping" "You don't write any songs and now want to argue about how we should play mine"!

Total control freak YES, but he did have a point. That and the fact Waters was sick of playing shows where 80% of the people in the crowd were just there because it was Pink Floyd and didn't really know the meat and potatoes of the bands music.

But If he played Shows as just Rodger Waters. Then he would know everyone in front of him were die hard fans that were going to hang on every word and song. Thats who he wanted to play for at that time in his career. 

Of course theres whole books on this subject alone. So I know Im not covering even the tip of the ice berg (Ha see what did there🙄). Its an unhealthy obsession I know. 

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

No one knows preccisely and unequivocally why things really happen. No one could measure accurately until the advent of satellites worth a flip so good data generation has been around a very short time and please inform me again how accurate long range weather forecasting is? Then of course there are well documented instances of fraud on the data collection by those who get grants by crying the sky is falling. It would be much easier to believe if the sky is falling crowd were not so eager to take things from everyone while flying around in great big private jets and living in 10 different large houses and using specious lists of "concerned scientists" as front men. Funny how so many concerned celebrities have beach front dwellings when the world is going to end in 12 years. Again. Will it be warming or cooling depends on what is getting traction not what is really happening.

I agree with most of that, although worrying about who is doing the worrying is a diversion, distraction, and also misleading.  Many still also confuse climate change and the proven increasing rise in global average temperatures with weather.  Of course they are interrelated, but the underlying problem of destroying our environment is no laughing matter, scientists from many disciplines are seeing the very real effects of this today.  The planet will come out just fine in the long run, but we should pay attention to what it will be like for us.  Just because someone down the street shits in their kitchen more than we shit in ours is no excuse for shitting in the kitchen in the first place.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Reynolds alone, his version of Kashmir (this is a really good example of Tim's skills): 

He's only mimicking what Les Paul Did over 60 years ago with playback boxes, but with an acoustic guitar, so what? Good, but not great. There's 100 flamenco and classical guitar players that outplay this guy. Let's not forget the contributions made by John McLaughlin on acoustic, Al Dimeola, Paco DiLucia, Michael Hedges, Kaki King, Tommy Emmanuel. etc.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I agree with most of that, although worrying about who is doing the worrying is a diversion, distraction, and also misleading.  Many still also confuse climate change and the proven increasing rise in global average temperatures with weather.  Of course they are interrelated, but the underlying problem of destroying our environment is no laughing matter, scientists from many disciplines are seeing the very real effects of this today.  The planet will come out just fine in the long run, but we should pay attention to what it will be like for us.  Just because someone down the street shits in their kitchen more than we shit in ours is no excuse for shitting in the kitchen in the first place.

I didn't know if I should hit like or haha. I agree with the first 3/4 and I'm still laughing on the last 1/4. Great example. Holy shit thats funny (of course pun intended!)

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, polizzio said:

On the subject of great guitar players, if you haven't been exposed to Tim Reynolds you should look him up on youtube. Teams a lot with Dave Matthews. Tim can do things with an acoustic guitar, make sounds with it I have never heard anyone else do. Tim is from Germany and is the "man" on acoustic guitar imo.

Reynolds and Matthew together: 

Thats the one that came out on blu ray right?  Wow the sound on that is great imo. I just cant get into Daves singing, or his lyrics (not my cup of tea). But yea the talent! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Thats the one that came out on blu ray right?  Wow the sound on that is great imo. I just cant get into Daves singing, or his lyrics (not my cup of tea). But yea the talent! 

I have it on dvd but I'm guessing its avail on blu ray too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I am proud to say that I have seen David Gilmore play his beloved guitars twice in my lifetime.

Another bucket list for me. I took my age old friend to see the 'Rattle That Lock' show at the Hollywood Bowl. Flew down from Seattle. Had TRUE 3rd row seats in the pool section. 25 feet away. Glorious! Magnificent! Cost half an arm but I used my messed up one so not so expensive! An all time show for me.

• Like 3

On 6/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, polizzio said:

I'm a big fan of Gilmour but......3.9 million? Clearly Irsay has money to burn, is worth 2.7 billion. At the end of the day, it's just a guitar hanging on the wall. I'm just not a star struck kind of guy. 

If I was that rich I would have bought this too.  First, it will probably go up in value, especially after Gilmore passes.

Next, how would you like to be listening to Wish You Were Here while having the exact guitar hanging in a glass case in your music room?  I'm not star struck, but nice piece of art, for what cost him the equivalent of $50 to you or me (meaning you will never notice that you spent the money).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

If I was that rich I would have bought this too.  First, it will probably go up in value, especially after Gilmore passes.

Next, how would you like to be listening to Wish You Were Here while having the exact guitar hanging in a glass case in your music room?  I'm not star struck, but nice piece of art, for what cost him the equivalent of $50 to you or me (meaning you will never notice that you spent the money).

Agree. But me personally I'm star stuck by him 😊.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0fd550786a426f77

My wife grey up in another country and never heard most of our music.  We were putting a puzzle together and I had Wish You Were Here playing.  

She was tired and going to go to bed but stayed until the album finished.  I asked why she didn't go to bed.  She said, this music is really good, I wanted to hear all of it. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

My wife grey up in another country and never heard most of our music.  We were putting a puzzle together and I had Wish You Were Here playing.  

She was tired and going to go to bed but stayed until the album finished.  I asked why she didn't go to bed.  She said, this music is really good, I wanted to hear all of it. 

Its the one band that literally connects with every music crowd. I know plenty of people dislike them of course but.... They have huge followings from everything country western music lovers to rap lovers. Doesn't matter. Pink floyd transcended music imo. They broke through a wall (no pun) no one else ever has. Besides maybe Michael Jackson (personally only a fan of some of his really good stuff). But the dudes music was what it was (popular). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I think Wish You Were Here is their best album, I know I'm in the minority, most would say DSOTM.

• Like 2