Painting K-510

Coytee

Just got back from the recycling center....found the paperwork in my car.

The paint I used was PPG "Spectracron" 100 Series, Acrylic-modified Alkyd Enamel

(all of which means nothing to me)

Interesting point, as I NOW read the 'instructions', it does say

"Substrates (Direct)": Cold Rolled Steel, Hot rolled Steel, Aluminum

"Substrates (over primer): Blasted steel, Aluminum

"End Use Markets": Industrial equipment, metal fabrication, heavy duty equipment, agricultural equipment, electrical enclosures

Somewhere in there, I've missed "plastic/resin horns".....

We'll see what happens.  Wonder if it will flake off.

I sprayed the fenders and canopy structure for my tractor (HVLP & compressor)  I have to say, this stuff settled nice and to be blunt, I don't have the eye to tell the difference between what I did and what the factory might have done.  It REALLY turned out nice.  I don't think I'd want to do the rest of the tractor (could probably use it) because if I DID and the rest turned out as nice as the fenders, I'd NOT want to use it on the farm for fear of scratching it up!!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Pete H said:

One of these days, when I'm settled on a final configuration, it's all copper and black for me.  I've been a freak with orange and coppers for decades, started with my chevelle and even most of my golf club heads are orange.  

Was never a big fan of copper really tell klipsch. Hadn't really seen it used on anything but gas/water pipes. Klipsch really classed that color up 👍.

I think 402 in klipsch copper with some black trim or something like that with cherry wood cabs under the 402s (like the cherry look on the LaScala 2s). Could look pretty sharp. 

39 minutes ago, Pete H said:

One of these days, when I'm settled on a final configuration, it's all copper and black for me.  I've been a freak with orange and coppers for decades, started with my chevelle and even most of my golf club heads are orange.  

=== you’re no freak with orange. In fact - Let our Freak Flags Fly. 

And if a Hellcat ain’t enough over-the-top then finish it with GoMango Orange - yeah, deal with that —

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Just got back from the recycling center....found the paperwork in my car.

The paint I used was PPG "Spectracron" 100 Series, Acrylic-modified Alkyd Enamel

(all of which means nothing to me)

Interesting point, as I NOW read the 'instructions', it does say

"Substrates (Direct)": Cold Rolled Steel, Hot rolled Steel, Aluminum

"Substrates (over primer): Blasted steel, Aluminum

"End Use Markets": Industrial equipment, metal fabrication, heavy duty equipment, agricultural equipment, electrical enclosures

Somewhere in there, I've missed "plastic/resin horns".....

We'll see what happens.  Wonder if it will flake off.

I sprayed the fenders and canopy structure for my tractor (HVLP & compressor)  I have to say, this stuff settled nice and to be blunt, I don't have the eye to tell the difference between what I did and what the factory might have done.  It REALLY turned out nice.  I don't think I'd want to do the rest of the tractor (could probably use it) because if I DID and the rest turned out as nice as the fenders, I'd NOT want to use it on the farm for fear of scratching it up!!

Thats why Ive never owned a new car (and the value lost is hard to get over). I'd be scared to drive it.  

200w.gif?cid=790b76115d0e59df79584a3751b

To be perfectly honest, one of the reasons I got into Klipsch was after reading a little and trying to find things that might compare to the SABA and Community speakers that I played with for years, I saw a picture of the RF7's and the copper colored drivers, heavily influenced my decision to try Klipsch and now, I could have had another ss chevelle for what I've spent Klipsch and other audio gear, oh well.:emotion-22:

3 minutes ago, Pete H said:

To be perfectly honest, one of the reasons I got into Klipsch was after reading a little and trying to find things that might compare to the SABA and Community speakers that I played with for years, I saw a picture of the RF7's and the copper colored drivers, heavily influenced my decision to try Klipsch and now, I could have had another ss chevelle for what I've spent Klipsch and other audio gear, oh well.:emotion-22:

🤜🤛

• Moderators
On 6/22/2019 at 9:36 AM, Pete H said:

he final finish on cabinets/furniture/speakers etc.  is why I got into HVLP and have sprayed everything from latex, lacquer, poly, stains with wonderful results and spray cans when I'm doing epoxy projects.  Fun stuff.

I love the HVLP, I couldn't paint many things with the old style gun, it always needs to be thinned.

For painting horns don't forget about the metallic paint also, depending on the look your going for. 

This is called Metallic bright coat copper, (in a can) it's a little darker copper than the pic but being quite reflective it's hard to get the right color.

signs-2-1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I love the HVLP, I couldn't paint many things with the old style gun, it always needs to be thinned.

For painting horns don't forget about the metallic paint also, depending on the look your going for. 

This is called Metallic bright coat copper, (in a can) it's a little darker copper than the pic but being quite reflective it's hard to get the right color.

signs-2-1.JPG

I want one!

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, Coytee said:

Richard,

One of my co-workers spent the past 40 years building custom cars, and told me he could paint my horns for me. He had some folks talk him into using one of the Jones-Blair paints. About a tenth the cost of the PPG he has been using and it is spectacular. Good for "seven" years outside -- guaranteed!

Here's one of the cars he has worked on.

Bruce

20180607_085719.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 11:36 AM, Heritage_Head said:

I think 402 in klipsch copper with some black trim or something like that with cherry wood cabs under the 402s (like the cherry look on the LaScala 2s). Could look pretty sharp. 

Thanks to my cheap photoshop skills, the sharpness can be realized if you squint :) 

Slide1.thumb.JPG.0cb61c86edbe78f9f020b3ab4ce910cc.JPG

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Ha! well done. Better than my cheaper skills 👍

Mine also, looks good.

But I would rather paint it like this (see pic) It's what some used to say they looked like when they had a problem with them being in there living room, or there wife said it was their opinion?

Paint it like Warthog skin :tongue:

Warthog.jpg

• Haha 1