Painting K-510

Coytee

• Moderators

I never had a problem with them and the wife loves them. I asked if she wanted grill cloth over the openings and she said no I wouldn't be able to see in the horn.

Good with me but I do have plans to fix them up a little, a strip or Red Oak about 4" wide going around the front flat part of the horn where the holes are, this would match the bass bins. 

• Moderators

Not sure what your saying with baffle?  If you mean like an addition to the outside past the horn, yes it certainly can hurt.

Think of the end of the horn as something made to blow bubbles like the kids wands with soap. The exit of the end of the horn is just like that, it shapes the sound wave bubble leaving the horn, it can change the shape of the sound bubble, changing the sound of the horn.  

When I thought of this trim for the 402 I waited and asked Roy when he was here. I showed him what I was planning and asked if is was OK as far as affecting the bubble. Considering I was not going to start the trim until an inch or so outside the edge of the horn to the side on that flat part with the holes.

Roy being Roy turned it around on me by asking why? I said I remember you talking about the bubble and I know not to affect that so I am asking is this OK. He looked at me surprised and smiling and said you were listening back then ! He was happy I remembered from years earlier, probably because I usually skip the technical stuff I don't understand at all and he understands and trys to make it so I get it..