Make My 2 channel 5.1 Surround

Benjie

I currently am a 2 channel guy. I have a Hegel H90 with HT bypass capable hooked to my CW ii’s. Very simple and sounds great. My tv is looked up thru the Hegel digital connection. My wife and I watch a lot of Netflix now and feel like we are missing out on the sound.

I’ve decided I’d like to expand to an HT setup and only require 5.1. I prefer Marantz, but am open to other AVR’s. I think 4 K would be smart to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi

Marantz and Klipsch go well together. For your needs however, I think an sr50xx or one of the slim marantz avrs would do just fine. Anything better might be overkill. 

Since you're running cornwalls, im guessing you want to continue with the heritage-theme throughout your HT. Im personally not well versed on the heritage speakers, so another one here will have to help you with the speakers. 

As for the sub, you could always go with Klipsch. However, might I also encourage you to look at SVS, Rythmik and XTZ to name a few.

Good luck on your search!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Benjie said:

Thinking about going with the Onkyo RZ830?

Got the (earlier) RZ-810 and pleased with it. Really only use it as a 3.1 with Heresy speakers.  Nice part is that the first 3 HDMI's in transfer to zone 2/3 ... feeds the back CW's with another amp ... also using that (with a separate Crown amp) to drive my KPT-904's ... haha; no surround needed with those :D  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Benjie said:

Edit. Leaning toward the Denon avr x4400H. Any thoughts. How is this unit for 2 channel listening???

Denon products generally isn't the "go-to brand" for music listening. Thats kinda where Marantz trumps Denon. Amongst the popular AVR brands, I usually gravitate towards Onkyo. From my experience, Onkyo amps sounds much more "warm" than Marantz and Denon. I can't however promise anything about which you might like the most. Best thing would just be o test for yourself. 

18 hours ago, Benjie said:

Thinking about going with the Onkyo RZ830?

I'd be careful with the Onkyo's, some models have known issues with HDMI boards/failures. Google Onkyo hdmi issue. Been a problem since 2009 and still plagues some owners, some newer models. There is a reason Crutchfield offers a $500 discount on a $1000 Onkyo AVR, and that sale has been going on for months.

I prefer Denon or Yamaha. Been a long time fan of Denon but even Denon is slipping I believe. I ordered a Denon AVR-X2300W from crutchfield 3/19/19 and returned it a week in. That unit shutdown on me twice while playing music at a moderate level. It was a scratch and dent unit (discounted) but supposedly tested with a full factory warranty.

I have a yamaha rx-v685 on its way to me right now. Got a good deal on it. If you research the yamaha avrs, they all pretty much have the same features albeit the amp output levels. You can spend from $280 to $2000. Grant you the more expensive units have more multiple channels for surround (up to 9 or 11). The base rx-v385 doesn't have internet streaming, is 5.1, and is rated @ 70 wpc, but is loaded with many features/software from its more expensive brethren. Another of my favorite yammy candidates is the rx-v2085, a 2 year old model which can be found new for $1000 delivered if you search. Has a great rep/reviews, and is rated @ 140 wpc @ .06% distortion, two channels driven. 9 channels avail. One of the more stronger amps in AVRs according to specs. Just depends on what you want or need, features, number of channels, and amp output.

Yamaha has a 3 year warranty on their Advantage line. The V series is 2 years.

I know TMI, I'm rambling. I did a LOT of research and reading on the Yamaha AVRs and some others too, just sharing. Maybe it will be of help to you.

I'd be careful with the Onkyo's, some models have known issues with HDMI boards/failures. Google Onkyo hdmi issue. Been a problem since 2009 and still plagues some owners, some newer models. There is a reason Crutchfield offers a $500 discount on a $1000 Onkyo AVR, and that sale has been going on for months.

I prefer Denon or Yamaha. Been a long time fan of Denon but even Denon is slipping I believe. I ordered a Denon AVR-X2300W from crutchfield 3/19/19 and returned it a week in. That unit shutdown on me twice while playing music at a moderate level. It was a scratch and dent unit (discounted) but supposedly tested with a full factory warranty.

I have a yamaha rx-v685 on its way to me right now. Got a good deal on it. If you research the yamaha avrs, they all pretty much have the same features albeit the amp output levels. You can spend from $280 to $2000. Grant you the more expensive units have more multiple channels for surround (up to 9 or 11). The base rx-v385 doesn't have internet streaming, is 5.1, and is rated @ 70 wpc, but is loaded with many features/software from its more expensive brethren. Another of my favorite yammy candidates is the rx-v2085, a 2 year old model which can be found new for $1000 delivered if you search. Has a great rep/reviews, and is rated @ 140 wpc @ .06% distortion, two channels driven. 9 channels avail. One of the more stronger amps in AVRs according to specs. Just depends on what you want or need, features, number of channels, and amp output.

Yamaha has a 3 year warranty on their Advantage line. The V series is 2 years.

I know TMI, I'm rambling. I did a LOT of research and reading on the Yamaha AVRs and some others too, just sharing. Maybe it will be of help to you.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I’ve been researching until my eyes bled. I ordered a new Denon AVR-X4400H from amazon.com last night. I’ve never dipped my toe into the AVR market until now. We will see.
Next I’ll need to pick my surrounds to accompany my Cornwall ii’s. I do want atmos.
Any tips appreciated.

• Like 1

The great thing about amazon is their return policies. Take it for a test drive and see how you like it.

You and the wife will truly enjoy watching blu ray movies on your new home theater too. I'd advise you to add a blu ray player to your system. They are so low cost these days, I have a Panasonic and am pleased. Many options/brands in the blu ray player arena.

Surrounds, I'd suggest something from the Klipsch catalog. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Imo, I wouldn't go crazy on your rear surrounds, on most movies there just isn't a tremendous amount of rear channel signals. Good action movies are the exception, Live, Die, Repeat is a pretty compelling example. Just depends on what you watch, what you enjoy. 80% of the dialog emanates from the center speaker or your front/right. I run a 4.1 arrangement for my home theater/LR, which is really conservative. I have Corns too, Corn iii, and they do an amazing job in my HT. No center channel speaker, phantom center via the AVR and Corns. Just my choice, not the norm in most HTs.

Concerts on blu ray are amazing via HT. Trust me, you are gonna love this new experience going forward, especially via your wonderful Corns. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Yes, Onkyo did have a problem with HDMI boards ... but (believe) that was more than 5 years ago and was subsequently "solved."  And; regarding the "discount" ... Onkyo's are "always" discounted from their MSRP (haha; except by BestBuy) ... The street price on the RZ-830 seems to be $500-600 vs the high MSRP. I am on my second Onkyo now and would not hesitate to buy another one :D 

EDIT ... Just saw you bought a Denon ... congrats :D 

• Like 1

The great thing about amazon is their return policies. Take it for a test drive and see how you like it.
You and the wife will truly enjoy watching blu ray movies on your new home theater too. I'd advise you to add a blu ray player to your system. They are so low cost these days, I have a Panasonic and am pleased. Many options/brands in the blu ray player arena.

Surrounds, I'd suggest something from the Klipsch catalog. Just depends on how much you want to spend. Imo, I wouldn't go crazy on your rear surrounds, on most movies there just isn't a tremendous amount of rear channel signals. Good action movies are the exception, Live, Die, Repeat is a pretty compelling example. Just depends on what you watch, what you enjoy. 80% of the dialog emanates from the center speaker or your front/right. I run a 4.1 arrangement for my home theater/LR, which is really conservative. I have Corns too, Corn iii, and they do an amazing job in my HT. No center channel speaker, phantom center via the AVR and Corns. Just my choice, not the norm in most HTs.

Concerts on blu ray are amazing via HT. Trust me, you are gonna love this new experience going forward, especially via your wonderful Corns. 

I’m curious if the Denon will do “phantom center?” I’m always blown away at the center stage the Cornwalls have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benjie said:

I’m curious if the Denon will do “phantom center?” I’m always blown away at the center stage the Cornwalls have.

Oh yes, it will, not a problem. In the setup phase @ startup. i ran phantom with the 2300W I had for a week. Most all AVRs today have total flexibility in speaker arrangement setup/positioning.

• Like 2

Denon AVR-X4400H = Power Output =125 watt per channel (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)  

With your very efficient Corns, you will have more clean power than you know what to do with (unless you have a 30x30' room). In 2 channel music mode, you will very pleased I believe.

I'm not familiar with your Hegel whatsoever, but reading its specs, it seems really impressive. Hegel brags about its dynamic power. I'm looking forward to your comments/feedback versus your new Denon AVR in 2 channel performance. Really want to hear your opinion after you have some time with the Denon.
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 8:44 AM, Benjie said:

I ran corns with a phantom long time. Completely sold on it. Pic of room or front wall at least will help better answer that though. 

9 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

What do you run with your la scalas? (other speakers)?

You'll get a kick out of this.. Center is a Yamaha sm15-iv and surrounds are older klipsch r-3650-w in-walls due to room layout. It's not bad, I just sometimes contemplate simplifying things a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

You'll get a kick out of this.. Center is a Yamaha sm15-iv and surrounds are older klipsch r-3650-w in-walls due to room layout. It's not bad, I just sometimes contemplate simplifying things a bit.

I had no clue what that sm15-iv was. But a quick search.. You could do worse.

Have you tried unplugging it and running no center? My la scalas are 8-9 ft apart and you would never know there isn't a center. Phantom with 904s, corns and these is really nice.