Make My 2 channel 5.1 Surround

Benjie

7 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

I had no clue what that sm15-iv was. But a quick search.. You could do worse.

Have you tried unplugging it and running no center? My la scalas are 8-9 ft apart and you would never know there isn't a center. Phantom with 904s, corns and these is really nice.

Yup, I ran phantom center for quite a while before throwing the yamaha into place - I had that Yamaha pair just laying around and figured I would give it a try. I like both ways, to be honest.

7 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Watching a ton of tv and movies (prob 90% of the systems use). It would be a shame to not have those La scalas on voice duty imo.

And that's what I find myself coming back to, after spending so much money getting them tweaked how I like, I keep switching to stereo mode just so I can hear them instead. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

And that's what I find myself coming back to, after spending so much money getting them tweaked how I like, I keep switching to stereo mode just so I can hear them instead. :)

Agreed! That yammy must be pretty dam nice then If you didn't dump it right away for the la scala (phantoms).  

I received a new Yammy just this week, Monday. RX-V685. Running in 4.1 for blu rays and select tv ops. Amazing what it can do, and very cleanly. From like ten DSP choices to Pure Direct (2 channel stereo-minimal circuitry involved, even turns off the unit front panel display). The freakin manual (pdf) is 186 pages. I printed it at my local UPS store, way easier than running back and forth from my desktop pc to the LR. An ipad would work well, but I like the printed manual. Replaced my 8 year old Sony AVR.

YPAO does auto speaker/room correction and equalization, adjusts each speaker individually.  Yamaha supplies the wired mic, like Denon (Audyssey).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Agreed! That yammy must be pretty dam nice then If you didn't dump it right away for the la scala (phantoms).  

Yeah, it's not horrible, but I think sometimes I have 5.2 simply because I have the speakers on hand, not necessarily because I need or enjoy a full surround experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Yeah, it's not horrible, but I think sometimes I have 5.2 simply because I have the speakers on hand, not necessarily because I need or enjoy a full surround experience.

I have to admit I barley spend any time in this section of the forum anymore. When I first started reading here I spent most of my time here. 

At some point Ill build another big ht  im sure. But for now its a 4.1 La Scala/heresys. But I think Id be pretty happy with just a 2.1 too. 

4 hours ago, polizzio said:

I received a new Yammy just this week, Monday. RX-V685. Running in 4.1 for blu rays and select tv ops. Amazing what it can do, and very cleanly. From like ten DSP choices to Pure Direct (2 channel stereo-minimal circuitry involved, even turns off the unit front panel display). The freakin manual (pdf) is 186 pages. I printed it at my local UPS store, way easier than running back and forth from my desktop pc to the LR. An ipad would work well, but I like the printed manual. Replaced my 8 year old Sony AVR.

YPAO does auto speaker/room correction and equalization, adjusts each speaker individually.  Yamaha supplies the wired mic, like Denon (Audyssey).

Yes run the auto room eq and follow the on screen directions. It will eq everything separate. 

Room eq is huge. I will debate this point with even the smartest guys on here (that are against it). 

Few tips.

Auto eq isn't perfect it needs some post tweaking. All these tips are to be done after you have completed the mic eq.

1. Get a tape measure out and measure the distances from all the speakers to the MLP. Compare with what the auto test set it at and only change anything if its more than a foot off. This is important because it sets delays for timing and other things that factor into the handshake ability of your speakers with each other in the room. Based on how they are set up. 

2. If you don't have a digital db meter there cheap. Radio shack sells nice cheap ones (set to weight C I think been so long sense i get mine and its been set the way the directions told me sense I bought it. If your unsure read the instructions). Buy one! Place it like you would the avr mic. Run speaker level tests (should be able to see this on screen). Start test (it probably starts at Front Left. Now look on the db meter, and what it measures at. Then move to the next speaker, Center or Front Right and adjust on the avr to match the first speakers db ratings. Continue tell all of them measure the same (subwoofer too). Get everything as close as your DB meter can get!  

The #2 tip is the biggest one that the auto eq messes up in my experience. And levels are very very important. Not doing these 2 post adjustments can really mess with the performance if not corrected. 

Ill add a 3rd but not all room eq set ups let you. plus this gets a little techy. 

3. Go to the onscreen manual eq. It should have everything set on how it set it after running room eq with the mic. Look at the eq and look for anything thats set really high or really low. This is over eqing. Basically theres a null that the avr its trying to fix by over eqing. Nulls cant be fixed this way (its like spiting on a fire does nothing). The auto room eqs today do look for this and try and avoid it from happening  but aren't perfect. It will try and eq the problem. If you see a eq slider like this my advise move it back toward zero and split the difference (if it set 250hz at -8 move it to -4 or -3). Again some programs won't let you manually adjust the auto eq results.  

Good room eq in my experience needs more than just the auto test to be good/great results. If your just running it and not doing anything after. I strongly recommend doing some reading on post auto room eq tips and info.

The room is as important as the speakers you pick. It needs treatments and other things to consider. Auto room eq is just the starting point.

• Like 1