Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
MATT0404

Picked Up a Pair of Corwall II's

Recommended Posts

Saw this pair pop up for sale on my local CL and decided to treat myself to a late Father's Day gift. :D

 

I haven't had a chance to set them up yet, but they sounded great during the demo at the PO's house.  These appear to be a unique finish.  I'm assuming CL means cherry lacquer.  However, the story goes the original owner had Klipsch refinish them darker to match his room better.  Not sure how true that is, but the finish is very good.  Speakers are in very nice condition and present very well but have some chips in the veneer around the edges.  I'll need to get that repaired.  Grills are perfect.

 

Speakers came with some sales literature and the speaker labels which had become detached.  I'll get them setup with some ANK EL34 monoblocks tomorrow.  More to come. :) 

 

 

IMG_20190621_183731.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got these in the house and decided to take a look inside one of the cabinets.  Appears to be original drivers (only pic of woofer, but mid and tweeter are original, as well).  Crossover original and looks easy to update/recap.  There's front to back and side to side bracing.  IMG_20190621_215656.jpg

IMG_20190621_215733.jpg

IMG_20190621_215751.jpg

IMG_20190621_215759.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New projects are always nice to have MOST of the time.  They look great and will sound the same I'm sure!  Enjoy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to spending some time in front of these guys. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MATT0404 said:

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to spending some time in front of these guys. 

Welcome Matt!  what part of Pa are you in?  Nice to see another local (kinda depending where you're at).  I have a pair of CW2's as well, might want to recap the networks based on the age.  I did it to mine and improved the sound.  Mine looked exactly like yours.  Enjoy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete H said:

Welcome Matt!  what part of Pa are you in?  Nice to see another local (kinda depending where you're at).  I have a pair of CW2's as well, might want to recap the networks based on the age.  I did it to mine and improved the sound.  Mine looked exactly like yours.  Enjoy!

Thanks!  I'm in Franklin, PA, between Erie and Pittsburgh.  I do plan on recapping in the near future.  Going to spend some time listening to them first while planning what to do next.  Yours are cherry lacquer, too?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MATT0404 said:

Thanks!  I'm in Franklin, PA, between Erie and Pittsburgh.  I do plan on recapping in the near future.  Going to spend some time listening to them first while planning what to do next.  Yours are cherry lacquer, too?  

You are not far at all and I have a good friend in Franklin and others in Shippenville, Clarion and Tionesta.  I do business with manufacturing facilities in the Shippenville and Emlenton area.  Mine were walnut stained birch (they were ugly as all get out) and they are black now.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MATT0404 said:

Saw this pair pop up for sale on my local CL and decided to treat myself to a late Father's Day gift. :D

 

I haven't had a chance to set them up yet, but they sounded great during the demo at the PO's house.  These appear to be a unique finish.  I'm assuming CL means cherry lacquer.  However, the story goes the original owner had Klipsch refinish them darker to match his room better.  Not sure how true that is, but the finish is very good.  Speakers are in very nice condition and present very well but have some chips in the veneer around the edges.  I'll need to get that repaired.  Grills are perfect.

 

Speakers came with some sales literature and the speaker labels which had become detached.  I'll get them setup with some ANK EL34 monoblocks tomorrow.  More to come. :) 

 

 

IMG_20190621_183731.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temporary setup as I'm building a rack to better house my gear in this room, but these are sounding very nice. I realize this recording isn't anything like hearing them in person, but I like making the videos anyway. 😁

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, MATT0404 said:

These appear to be a unique finish.  I'm assuming CL means cherry lacquer.

 

That is confirmed in the Klipsch Heritage codes in the Tech section:  " ** Lacquer finish on early production Cherry was uncommon."

 

Nice score.  Happy Father's Day gift to you! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MATT0404 said:

Temporary setup as I'm building a rack to better house my gear in this room, but these are sounding very nice. I realize this recording isn't anything like hearing them in person, but I like making the videos anyway. 😁

 

 

👍

Im a big fan of gear placed like that. Rack types are great too. But placed side by side I've always like (plus so much easier to get to everything behind). I also like the look of separate wood stands with spikes (or the like of). Those two amps would look nice on something like that.

 

I built the one in the pic below. After searching forever for something cheap and really nice. I gave up and built one. The wood I used is a food cutting board (so much cheaper than getting ones they sell for audio gear) Then I top coated it. 1 with an amp on each side (or in front) of a cornwall would look top notch imo. 

IMG_1534.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Heritage_Head  I spent two years looking for this and it''s perfect,.  Drawer and cutting board underneath.  Linn table going up top, maple shelvies down below for the goodies.  Was such a happy boy when I found it.  New?  $1400.  I paid $100.  lolol  Two years but I knew one would surface!  75 miles to the auction and naturally someone ran it to 100.  Tear down was nasty and the darn thing weighs 185#  Castors will be off when I "plant" it!  hahaha  Great minds work alike!  .

butcher block.jpg

butcher block1.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

@Heritage_Head  I spent two years looking for this and it''s perfect,.  Drawer and cutting board underneath.  Linn table going up top, maple shelvies down below for the goodies.  Was such a happy boy when I found it.  New?  $1400.  I paid $100.  lolol  Two years but I knew one would surface!  75 miles to the auction and naturally someone ran it to 100.  Tear down was nasty and the darn thing weighs 185#  Castors will be off when I "plant" it!  hahaha  Great minds work alike!  .

butcher block.jpg

butcher block1.jpg

Wow they look a lot alike indeed! Nice 👍

 

Mine is pretty thick 3", very heavy. It was like 1/10 the cost of cheaper boards that the audio industry sells in hi end shops. Or online places. I needed something in my ht that could sit between my old 3 904s behind a screen that I could still hit with the remotes while watching movies (the rest of the gear I could place behind the 904s). For awhile I just ran the gear on the floor on a piece of wood. 

DSCN1064.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

I built the one in the pic below. After searching forever for something cheap and really nice. I gave up and built one. The wood I used is a food cutting board (so much cheaper than getting ones they sell for audio gear) Then I top coated it. 1 with an amp on each side (or in front) of a cornwall would look top notch imo. 

IMG_1534.jpg

 

AWESOME!  :D  And congrats on the Cornwall's :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recapped the crossovers today.  I didn't go all out with high dollar, boutique caps, but, for $54 I got all new Dayton film caps for both speakers.  The original film caps were very close to their capacitance rating.  One of the 68uF electrolytic caps was close to 73uF and the other was around 69uF.  All in all, the original caps were in pretty good shape considering their age.  

 

After the recap, the speakers sound a bit cleaner, bordering on bright, but I'll give the new caps some time to settle in.  Bass seems to have a bit more presence, as well.  I'm pleased with the initial results and the crossovers are ready for another 30+ years. :)  Only thing I'm left wondering is if I should have added a bypass cap to the 68uF cap on the woofers.  

 

48215485086_6779a6ef56_b.jpgKlipsch Cornwall II Crossover Recap by Audio Database, on Flickr

 

48215528812_67fdc17194_b.jpgKlipsch Cornwall II Crossover Recap by Audio Database, on Flickr

 

48215484391_7988c41d91_b.jpgKlipsch Cornwall II Crossover Recap by Audio Database, on Flickr

 

48215483956_94cfe77b90_b.jpgKlipsch Cornwall II Crossover Recap by Audio Database, on Flickr

 

48216232362_fc8ab20f0d_b.jpgKlipsch Cornwall II Speakers by Audio Database, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MATT0404 said:

Only thing I'm left wondering is if I should have added a bypass cap to the 68uF cap on the woofers.  

 

Well, there's a chance it might clean up the signal that's being drained off before the woofer sees it.  I say that mostly in jest for a couple reasons, but it stands to reason that if signal is being more cleanly bypassed (the 68 uF is itself a bypass cap), the transition area to "not bypassing" would be cleaner and the woofer might see fewer "jagged edges" where it's still told to make some noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...