KG4 passive radiators

rjf512

Hello I'm new to this group and was wondering if anyone could help me...My cat decided that my passive radiator was perfect for stretching his claws in...would love to find an actual Klipsch pair butany help would be appreciated...thank you in advance

1 hour ago, rjf512 said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WZZJuKXssr18ReHS7

there are 2 photos ...someone suggested rubber cement on another forum too

rubber cement is not what you want to use. Nor does you passive look too bad, has the cone been fully perforated? If not a couple of coats of 50% diluted white wood glue with an art brush. So long as your passive is air tight you have nothing to worry about. It would be a plain to find a new pair to purchase so rather find a couple of wire screen protectors to keep you passive cones safe into the future. Your passive is really nothing more than a weight on a spring mimicking the air in a reflex vent, they are one and the same. I hope this helps.

steel woofer grill.jpg

5 hours ago, moray james said:

rubber cement is not what you want to use. Nor does you passive look too bad, has the cone been fully perforated? If not a couple of coats of 50% diluted white wood glue with an art brush. So long as your passive is air tight you have nothing to worry about. It would be a plain to find a new pair to purchase so rather find a couple of wire screen protectors to keep you passive cones safe into the future. Your passive is really nothing more than a weight on a spring mimicking the air in a reflex vent, they are one and the same. I hope this helps.

steel woofer grill.jpg

I agree with moray james; if the claws didn't penetrate the dust cap, don't worry about it, but consider adding mesh grills. Perhaps add them front and back, because the cat may sooner or later figure out the cloth grills are nice for sharpening claws, too!

Speakerworks has what you need.

5 hours ago, moray james said:

steel woofer grill.jpg

I agree with moray james; if the claws didn't penetrate the dust cap, don't worry about it, but consider adding mesh grills. Perhaps add them front and back, because the cat may sooner or later figure out the cloth grills are nice for sharpening claws, too!

Speakerworks has what you need.

I'm generally in agreement with MJ.  Often here we get reports of diaphragms which are torn to the extent you could see daylight through them.  You are in relatively good shape.

Let me suggest you test them first for integrity of the air seal of the box.  Have an assistant push in on the front two woofers with an open hand (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch) and see if the passive moves out.  See if it holds position for 10 seconds or sold as the position of the front woofers is held.  Use this test before and after your work so you have the benchmarks.

I can see MJ's advice of watered-down white glue.  It is to have something get into the little claw holes by capillary action.  As an alternative I'd suggest superglue, the type which is the viscosity of water (not gel).  Front of speaker box down on the carpet naturally. 

In worse cases people reinforce with tissue paper, rolling paper, or light fabric.  Parts Express has replacement "clown nose" dust covers, special speaker repair glue, and black rubber cement.  Also the aforementioned grills.

For the record the passive is not identical to a port because it has the extra spring of the suspension.  Therefore when the assembly is modeled as a filter it is of a higher "order."  

WMcD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...