Swimming Pool Issues

bkwa1959

16 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Swimming pool maintenance is on par to owning a boat.

JJK

Amen to that, I have been working around the pool all day,I had to pressure wash the concrete around the pool and then while I had the pressure washer out my wife thought it would be great to clean the driveway ,front sidewalk,windows and gutters.I was planning on working on a pair of Belle speakers I bought,too tired.I warmed up my tube amp and plan out doing some serious listening,that is if I don’t fall asleep.

My buddy and I spent summers taking care of "the old pool" and the "new pool" at a country club.  The main pump was below the water level and therefore priming was never a problem.  And its been decades ago.

It seems you're confident the pump is working.

Check all valves.

Maybe feed from the pool to the pump is airbound.   Is there a feed from the skimmers to the pump?  I'd stick a garden hose into the suction line maybe sealed with a big towel (bigger than the line can swallow) and force city water into the input side of the pump.  You might have to seal off other drains on the bottom so the pressure from the city water is not leaking out there. 

Let me ask why you replaced the pump?  Maybe whatever caused the need for replacement is what you've have (or still have) now,.

WMcD

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

Swimming pool maintenance is on par to owning a boat.

JJK

But the fishing is much worse, not even a bite.

There is a old joke, 

Why is a woman like a boat?

The hull is cheaper than the rigging.

I have everything running like it should now, I replaced the pump motor because the old one was locked up and I tried everything to get it to spin.I had to prime the new pump and then I had too much pressure and that caused low water flow,I then replaced all seals on the pump and sand filter and that fixed that problem.I now need to order a light for the pool,we have color light that changes color and it is now out.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bkwa1959 said:

I have everything running like it should now, I replaced the pump motor because the old one was locked up and I tried everything to get it to spin.I had to prime the new pump and then I had too much pressure and that caused low water flow,I then replaced all seals on the pump and sand filter and that fixed that problem.I now need to order a light for the pool,we have color light that changes color and it is now out.

One of the best things I did was get rid of the sand filter and switch to a cartridge style.  It filters finer and is easier on your motor as its not having to push water through several feet of sand.  There's more actual filter area and you don't waste water back washing.  Definitely uses less electricity.  The difference in increased water pressure coming out of the returns was noticeable also.

7 minutes ago, bkwa1959 said:

I have a salt water pool, I guess I need to look into changing the filter.

It also turns the water over faster so you don't have to run your pump as long.  I wish I had done it years ago.  I changed the sand in my old filter years ago and it was a real pita.  When it started returning sand into the pool a few months ago I just chunked it and switched over to the cartridge.  Love it.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Are salt water pools just as much maintenance as traditional ones?

The filter equipment is identical and the pool still needs to be cleaned of debris.   I have a traditional chlorine dispenser so I can't tell you about that aspect but chlorine tabs every 2 weeks isn't that big of a deal.