just wondering?

moray james

31 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

What about that photo makes you wonder?

I don’t know if he was or not but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I have been looking at some other photos and saw the same in them as in this photo, Paul wearing a watch on his right wrist.

13 hours ago, moray james said:

I have been looking at some other photos and saw the same in them as in this photo, Paul wearing a watch on his right wrist.

I didn't realize that was a Masonic thing.  My father was a Mason and most of my uncles are Masons.  Dad wore a watch on his left arm.  Not sure about the uncles.

18 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

I didn't realize that was a Masonic thing.  My father was a Mason and most of my uncles are Masons.  Dad wore a watch on his left arm.  Not sure about the uncles.

What if PWK was just left handed?

Well, He was a Rotary Club member...He took me to a Rotary Club meeting the first day I worked for him.  However, he always had at least two wrist watches so I don't think that has much to do with the Masons.  He always carried a black face Hamilton Railroad mans 24 hour pocket watch.  He also had a little radio on his desk that was tuned to the WWV frequency only (World Cesium Time Standard) so he could keep his watch set accurately.  There was beside the little radio a small de-magnetizer  he ran his watch through a few times a day since he worked around magnets so much.

• Like 1

My grandfathers were both Masons, as were great uncles.  My paternal grandfather is pictured. I don’t recall any of them wearing a watch on his right wrist.  If you look closely at his right wrist you can see his shirt cuff.  He doesn’t appear to be wearing a watch on that arm. To be fair, my grandfather favored pocket watches.

OBTW, the photo captured his personality perfectly.  Must’ve been a fun bunch.

2C410773-587D-49F6-9DE8-F957BED9BE5F.jpeg

My Grandfather was a 33rd degree Mason, he had a Mason funeral, I didn't understand a bit if it.

My father was a Mason but told us that when he died, he did not want a Masonic service, “and your mother knows why”.

So, when he died he did not have one.

Mom is gone now, too, and I never asked her why.
  • Confused 1

PWK was indeed a Mason...a Scottish-Rite Mason.  He confided this to me, himself, during a conversation when he was talking about making an upcoming trip to Scotland, with one of his goals of that trip: "I'm a Scottish-Rites Mason and plan to visit where the Scottish-Rite Masons got their start" while on this trip...."  I wasn't surprised at all in this about PWK.  After all, he was a retired Army Reserve officer, and had probably been a Mason for most, if not all, of his time serving as an Army officer.  A huge majority of Army officers are Masons....this was especially common during his time as an officer!

As for the Holy Grail...good luck with that!  I personally don't think it was ever a term used for a "drinking cup", myself!  A "grail" is translated to mean "vessel"...which has many other connotations than just a "drinking vessel".

On 6/25/2019 at 6:54 AM, DizRotus said:

My grandfathers were both Masons, as were great uncles.  My paternal grandfather is pictured. I don’t recall any of them wearing a watch on his right wrist.  If you look closely at his right wrist you can see his shirt cuff.  He doesn’t appear to be wearing a watch on that arm. To be fair, my grandfather favored pocket watches.

OBTW, the photo captured his personality perfectly.  Must’ve been a fun bunch.

2C410773-587D-49F6-9DE8-F957BED9BE5F.jpeg

My father was stationed at FT Meade, MD....we lived in Odenton until he retired in 1964 and we moved to Arkansas!

As for PWK's wearing more than one watch...he was a PILOT!  He needed two watches...one set to GMT, the other set to current time zone he was in....or flying over.  Although many pilots opted for multi-dial chronometers for that, it was much easier and more readable to use two watches instead.

• Like 3