just wondering?

moray james

On 6/22/2019 at 9:48 PM, moray james said:

Just saw this photo figured I should ask if any know if PWK was a Mason? I would not have thought so but seeing this photo it made me wonder.

PWK building a horn mould.jpg

Why would it matter?

PWK was always an audio engineering GENIUS! Mason or NOT!

John Kuthe...

The year was 1969.  I went (with my father) to Florida to watch Apollo 11 take off.  Along with us, was the son of my Dad's friend.  (His name was Chris)

Chris was (I don't know) maybe 3-5 years older than me.  He wore his watch on his right wrist.  I specifically asked him about it.  Not only did he wear it on his left right wrist, he had it rotated so the watch part was on the palm side.

I had never seen anything like this and it struck me as odd.

I specifically asked him about it.  He just kind of mumbled (as teenagers might do, especially if they're annoyed at having to babysit a 9-year old...)

He said I dunno...  I guess I wear it there (specifically talking about having it on the palm side of his hand) so when I'm sitting in class, I can see it like this (gently rotates his hand upward) while keeping my hand on my desk.

I never quite got that logic either....not a big deal to "look" at your watch but "whatever".

I've always remembered this specific conversation as he died a couple years later via drug overdose.  This was probably the last time I had seen him (though at this point, I have no recollection)

So, not only did he wear the watch on his 'right' wrist, he also wore it upside down (on the palm side)

He wasn't a Mason.  I always thought Left handed tended to wear their watch on their right hand (??).  My father does (not a Mason)

6 minutes ago, Coytee said:

The year was 1969.  I went (with my father) to Florida to watch Apollo 11 take off.  Along with us, was the son of my Dad's friend.  (His name was Chris)

Chris was (I don't know) maybe 3-5 years older than me.  He wore his watch on his right wrist.  I specifically asked him about it.  Not only did he wear it on his left wrist, he had it rotated so the watch part was on the palm side.

I had never seen anything like this and it struck me as odd.

I specifically asked him about it.  He just kind of mumbled (as teenagers might do, especially if they're annoyed at having to babysit a 9-year old...)

He said I dunno...  I guess I wear it there (specifically talking about having it on the palm side of his hand) so when I'm sitting in class, I can see it like this (gently rotates his hand upward) while keeping my hand on my desk.

I never quite got that logic either....not a big deal to "look" at your watch but "whatever".

I've always remembered this specific conversation as he died a couple years later via drug overdose.  This was probably the last time I had seen him (though at this point, I have no recollection)

So, not only did he wear the watch on his 'right' wrist, he also wore it upside down (on the palm side)

He wasn't a Mason.  I always thought Left handed tended to wear their watch on their right hand (??).  My father does (not a Mason)

People do it to be ODD!

John Kuther, Climate Anarchist and Expert At Odd!

IMO, details of PWK’s interests, beliefs and eccentricities are interesting.  Paul’s Episcopalian pastor @DRBILL used to post here with interesting anecdotes, which were not privileged.  DRBILL last posted in 2012.  I suspect he has joined Paul, Belle and Valerie.

As the story goes, Paul grew disenchanted with the Presbyterian doctrine of predestination.  He saw himself as a free will type,  Supposedly he sampled other denominations in Hope before settling on the Episcopalian church because he liked the doctrine and the church organ.

DRBILL replied to a PM with the following:

@tigerwoodKhorns  DRBILL’s references to pipe organs made me think of you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

IMO, details of PWK’s interests, beliefs and eccentricities are interesting.  Paul’s Episcopalian pastor @DRBILL used to post here with interesting anecdotes, which were not privileged.  DRBILL last posted in 2012.  I suspect he has joined Paul, Belle and Valerie.

As the story goes, Paul grew disenchanted with the Presbyterian doctrine of predestination.  He saw himself as a free will type,  Supposedly he sampled other denominations in Hope before settling on the Episcopalian church because he liked the doctrine and the church organ.

DRBILL replied to a PM with the following:

@tigerwoodKhorns  DRBILL’s references to pipe organs made me think of you.

Saint George had this to say about Religions:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Po_AhPg1Oc

I feel the SAME WAY!!

John Kuthe...

On 6/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, JohnKuthe said:

People do it to be ODD!

John Kuther, Climate Anarchist and Expert At Odd!

Actually, wearing the watch on the right hand isn't being "ODD" at all.  Many people find that in the jobs they have, it is more comfortable being worn that way...because, for instance, if you have to bend your wrist upwards many times throughout the day, the crown will not dig into your flesh if worn on the right hand, instead of your left hand...especially so if you like your band slightly loose when wearing a watch.  As for wearing a watch on your right hand with the watch face on the opposite (down-side) of your wrist, that is also quite often because of job-related reasons...simply to protect the crystal from damage that would more likely occur if the watch was worn on the other side of the wrist.  Many Scuba Divers used to get in the habit of wearing their watches on the right wrist also...due to the crown being away from the wrist joint...lessening the possibility of  tearing the flesh at the wrist joint....no blood in the water means no chumming of the sharks nearby...plain and simple....and if you are a WORKING diver, then wearing the watch that way becomes a habit, both in and out of the water.  Many welders who wear a wristwatch also wear it crystal down on the right wrist...if right-handed...because the tool, as in the torch, etc., is in the right hand while the welding rod/wire is in the left hand...so the watch is better-protected when on the right hand, if right-handed.   There are many other instances that are job-related...I even wore my watch on my right wrist when building speakers...to eliminate scratching the veneer when building speakers....because my  tools used were in my right hand while my left hand generally handled the box panels, glue blocks, etc....and yes, I generally work right-handed.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:36 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

I even wore my watch on my right wrist when building speakers...to eliminate scratching the veneer when building speakers....because my  tools used were in my right hand while my left hand generally handled the box panels, glue blocks, etc..

That explains it.

We need to put an APB out for someone at the factory with their watch on the left wrist.  When I got my new Jubilee's in 2007. there was a nick on the paint on the front corner of the bass horn (down to "white" wood which stood out against the black paint)

Off with their head!!  (or maybe wrist?)

On 6/25/2019 at 3:19 PM, dtel said:

My Grandfather was a 33rd degree Mason, he had a Mason funeral, I didn't understand a bit if it.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:29 PM, moray james said:

plenty of masons wear a watch on both wrists.

I have not seen masons wearing 2 watches...

And PKW was also a shriner...

[IMG]

I haven't seen a Masonic funeral..  

But I'm not a practicing mason....any more... Haven't had the time...