La Scalas now what?

guf

I started a "I love my Heresy IIIs" thread What should I get now?

and that turned into a WTB thread ....

There has been some great advice and suggestions and I'll follow up here. Thank you everyone that has helped so far.  

So i picked these up these below. I paid 1350$, the finish seems nice and they appear to be not abused. I got them set up and realized one is speaker is about 10 dbs quieter than the other. I switched the crossovers and the quietness followed the crossover.  I had plans to switch them out so I'm not that concerned.  But what do I do? I'm trying to think of my long term goals.  What are my priorities?  I want to keep it simple.  I wanted a sensitive speaker that i could use with a new 45 amp, only 2 watts.  I  know this can be argued its not enough, but I was able to enjoy with my less sensitive Heresy 3s. So that's a goal of mine to use this.  (Side note.  I did notice last night when using a solid state first watt DIY ACA, that is only 6 watts, how much better it was) I 'm interested in biamping but I pretty sure that can only be done with an active cross over, and that is often a digital one and not analog? this goes against the  simple part, but I'm open. And another thought.... I LOVE the idea of using the La Scala as the  bass bin and placing a new horn on top and making it a 2 way.  I think this is the Jubscala? If I go that route that would negate all the upgrades I previously mentioned.  

I love the journey so maybe making incremental steps is the best way?  but not most cost effective?   

IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2802.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, guf said:

I switched the crossovers and the quietness followed the crossover.

Did you clean and re-tighten ALL of the screws on the terminal block?  Check to make sure there were no wires touching or broken?  Can you post a couple of photos of the supposedly "bad"crossover?

49 minutes ago, guf said:

I 'm interested in biamping but I pretty sure that can only be done with an active cross over, and that is often a digital one and not analog? this goes against the  simple part, but I'm open. And another thought.... I LOVE the idea of using the La Scala as the  bass bin and placing a new horn on top and making it a 2 way.

Bi-amping doesn't require an active crossover, just a low-level one.  This is usually done actively, though, for reason.  But doing it digitally is actually much simpler than in analog if you also want to shape response and/or time-align.  Don't worry, your tube magic will pick right back up where it left off.

After switching the crossovers I though is was a loose connection because for a minute  it seemed fine.   I ended up adjusting the balance and adding some gain digitally with Roon, my software player, and it balanced it out. Thats how I'm estimating that its 10dbs off.  Here is a picture. I feel like the connecting of the  black wire on the right of the picture a little compromised. 

IMG_2805.jpeg

Hi guf

I was looking at a similar connection with my inputs. I put connectors on them.

They weren't causing problems... I just didn't like the loose wires floating around

you're gonna love the LS.

I see a lot of "I wish I had not sold my LS"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, guf said:

After switching the crossovers I though is was a loose connection because for a minute  it seemed fine.   I ended up adjusting the balance and adding some gain digitally with Roon, my software player, and it balanced it out. Thats how I'm estimating that its 10dbs off.  Here is a picture. I feel like the connecting of the  black wire on the right of the picture a little compromised. 

IMG_2805.jpeg

Disconnect all the drivers but the tweeters on both see if they are same level. Then the squawker then the woofer. Compare all the drivers on both speakers

• Like 1

I'm going away for a week so thats hard on the repair/restore front but amazing on the research and obsess front.  If I had to decide on the path now I think this is what I would do.

1 order new crossovers a/4500 and tweeters from Crites 

not sure why this decision other than I enjoy and lower levels and it is a popular choice. 

2 clean up cabinets finish the insides

can i used Watco Danish oil? 

3 enjoy and collect info and parts and plan for a  jubscalla upgrade 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

If planning on jubscala in the long term why bother with the tweeter upgrade? I'd just get a solid set of type AA crossovers in there and listen to them as is while you pursue the two way.

I don't know. 🤷‍♂️Thats definitely a thought.....maybe because I want a fully functional working pair of La Scalas for comparison?  And If i buy a new crossover, OEM or aftermarket I have to do both sides. And if I'm spending a couple hundred dollars might as well spend a little more and do it right?  I'm saying this just thinking out loud, with no solid facts.

Yep you need new capacitors for sure. ....I would go with type A and eliminate the diodes. Ge them from Bob Crites. Since they are on hard smooth surface go get some furniture grippers for the bottom of them also check washer on the mid driver probably hard and loose can get those from Bob or use O-Ring like I did.

Also tighten up the mid horn mounting screws inside cab.

36 minutes ago, guf said:

I don't know. 🤷‍♂️Thats definitely a thought.....maybe because I want a fully functional working pair of La Scalas for comparison?  And If i buy a new crossover, OEM or aftermarket I have to do both sides. And if I'm spending a couple hundred dollars might as well spend a little more and do it right?  I'm saying this just thinking out loud, with no solid facts.

Do what right? Are the tweeters shot? I thought it was just the crossovers that are questionable and that's why I suggested replacing those - you'd have a functional pair of la scalas at that point.

And if you're planning on going two-way why not put that tweeter money towards your future drivers/horns?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Do what right? Are the tweeters shot? I thought it was just the crossovers that are questionable and that's why I suggested replacing those - you'd have a functional pair of la scalas at that point.

"Doing it right" by replacing both crossovers in both speakers instead of having one with a couple components that are new. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, guf said:

"Doing it right" by replacing both crossovers in both speakers instead of having one with a couple components that are new. 

I keep using the plural form of crossovers, so I've been suggesting that all along. I just don't think you should spend money on direct replacements for your drivers if they're operating within spec if your end goal is a two-way system.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

And if you're planning on going two-way why not put that tweeter money towards your future drivers/horns?

because I won't know how much more amazing they are if i don't have a benchmark.    I mean how much money are we talking for new AA crossovers compared to the Crites? ( with the tweeter up grades) i think its only a couple hundred bucks?  i don't know? thousands?  

4 hours ago, guf said:

I'm going away for a week so thats hard on the repair/restore front but amazing on the research and obsess front.  If I had to decide on the path now I think this is what I would do.

1 order new crossovers a/4500 and tweeters from Crites 

not sure why this decision other than I enjoy and lower levels and it is a popular choice. 

2 clean up cabinets finish the insides

can i used Watco Danish oil? 

3 enjoy and collect info and parts and plan for a  jubscalla upgrade 

You wouldn't be wasting that much if you went this way. Bobs stuff on here is very respected and in demand. Getting most your money back on the 125 and the A/4500 would be pretty easy selling them in the garage section. In fact I bet recoup of 75% would sell pretty fast (plus small stuff ships easy). 

But Mr Smith is right. You would be losing money. Just comes down to how much your ok with and how long it might be before you might do the 2way (if you decide to). I would probably agree with him and skip the 125s and the a/4500 if making these into 2 way was a goal most likely you will do. 

You have most likely 2 speakers with all drivers good to go. If you buy 2 new AA from Bob  it would cost about $400. Or you could send him yours and he can re cap both them for $120 and find an fix the issue with the bad xo. I wouldn't even guess what it is thats wrong with it. But your probably still under $200 both re capped and working perfectly. So now for $200ish you have 2 perfect working LS1s (I think that was his point.. not positive though 🙄

Then when you do the 2 way you haven't wasted anything and can even sell your xos (if you want and get that 200 easy and much more back). The mid horns, k55v, and k77s for a nice pile of cash as well. All that will put a good dent into doing the 2 way.  

Im looking at the same bunch of roads and possibilities with the same speakers as you. Ive talked to a hand full of guys on here who have been pulling on the wires of these speakers for years. CAPs #1 really nothing a close second.  But obviously something broken mechanically (drivers/xo) will trump this I would think. -10db probably a trump.

If your going away for a week send those (both) xo to Bob. Before you go. If for nothing else find and repair the bad one. But would make sense for $120 to re cap both if he's got them on his bench already.

I would have advised waiting a month or two (like I did) before a re cap or change. So you have a good chance to hear the difference and if its better or even worse. But in your case a flat tire needs to be changed now.