La Scalas now what?

guf

Was living outside a small town... was leaving the bank and going around the block and saw them on the porch. The tenant was  moving and said he would sell them. None of the internals were correct... wrong woofer, piezo tweeter, 800hz mid horn, jbl 800hz crossovers.

One cab is genuine, the other is a clone. He used them for a band...  can't have sounded  very good. I've been using my Heresy IIs for the past 5 years, which sound great, but they aren't La Scalas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

=== ah yes. The Sunday business flight or maybe opt for the 6am on Monday? Either way, sucks and sucks badly. But please , keep up the good work and the wheels turning — 

close! actually red eye SF to Boston, rent a car and drive to Bangor Maine to see 2 nights of Phish. Then to Phiily for 3 Shows at Camden.  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Was living outside a small town... was leaving the bank and going around the block and saw them on the porch. The tenant was  moving and said he would sell them. None of the internals were correct... wrong woofer, piezo tweeter, 800hz mid horn, jbl 800hz crossovers.

One cab is genuine, the other is a clone. He used them for a band...  can't have sounded  very good. I've been using my Heresy IIs for the past 5 years, which sound great, but they aren't La Scalas.

When I ran into problems and things had to go thats what I kept. Heresy is easy to pack and have the klipsch sound. But sadly La Scalas they are not 😕.

Im guessing mine will roll with me until someone has to bury me. 🙄

32 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

It connects to the back of the speaker in place of barrier strips or binding posts.

Right, but the top end of the La Scala has a wide gaping hole for all of the drivers and crossover, so he's asking where you go about mounting that thing.

• Thanks 2

My last La Scalas had the tops closed in for the djk bass reflex mod (please search that for info and pics) so I mounted the connector in the board used to close the “gaping hole.”  The first attached photo shows a barrier strip that was replaced by the SpeakOn.  Please imagine the crossover network is inside the La Scala and not temporarily connected through a port while tweaking the network.  Imagine also that the cheesy barrier strip was replaced by an unbreakable Neutrik SpeakOn connector, rather than breakable binding posts.  If the top of the La Scala were not closed as in the photo, I imagine the SpeakOn connector could be inelegantly mounted to a side of the top hat, or, I imagine an L-bracket, or two, could be used, along with some plywood or other rigid material in which a hole could be drilled and to which the SpeakOn connector could be attached using four small flat head wood screws (can be straight, Phillips, Allen,torx, etc.), to fashion a solid vertical surface across a portion of the open rear of the top hat.

Subsequent photos show a SpeakOn connector in my DIY Super Heresys.  I hope this explains it.  If not, you’ll have to excuse me, I’ll be watching Thaddeus @Thaddeus Smith shuck oysters to feed his latest porcine acquisition. 😏

post-6832-0-13720000-1463022323_thumb.jpg

99C5C32D-AB3A-41C9-ADF8-CC7086E72655.jpeg

A6C9B576-7605-4450-AB1C-C38F491F20E4.jpeg

1B40B2FE-EE8A-4BF5-BC88-ACF857F9C371.jpeg

11 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I don’t always install connectors, but when I do it’s Neutrik SpeakOn.  Can’t beat a product of Liechtenstein.  Thousands of roadies can”t be wrong.

E26BC4F9-2947-44F0-9F1E-9D5C37519D05.jpeg.47cf282b38cb5fe9a5ddac2c3a71c451.jpeg

Be sure to install these if you plan on throwing your La Scalas into the back of your truck every weekend, dragging them into hotels for wedding parties, or the occasional stadium concert.   IMO, for home use, I ask, what's the point?

• Like 2

Who hasn’t broken a binding post?  Who has broken a SpeakOn?  

Last night I moved my DIY Supers from the deck to indoors.  With SpeakOns I was able reach one hand down, in the dark, to unlock and disconnect the cables.  Reconnecting is just as easy, no polarity concerns.  Even if you never move your speakers, IMO, the benefits of positive one handed polarity preserved connections are worth the effort, the expense is similar to binding posts, banana plugs, etc.

YMMV

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

So you don’t have to imagine what the front of the La Scala pictured above looks like.

post-6832-0-52040000-1442844835_thumb.jpg

I was talking about with that connector hooked up to a speaker like the op has. Was wondering how you had it braced on. But now I see you use it in a different speaker box type. 

IMG_2805.jpeg

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Who hasn’t broken a binding post?  Who has broken a SpeakOn?  

Last night I moved my DIY Supers from the deck to indoors.  With SpeakOns I was able reach one hand down, in the dark, to unlock and disconnect the cables.  Reconnecting is just as easy, no polarity concerns.  Even if you never move your speakers, IMO, the benefits of positive one handed polarity preserved connections is worth the effort, the expense is similar to binding posts, banana plugs, etc.

YMMV

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d10ee927167754867

On 6/24/2019 at 5:50 PM, Panelhead said:

At least this is reversible.

(disclosure, I'm a fan of Speakon)

What if you took some wires, screwed them to the binding posts, had a Speakon on the other end.  Like a pigtail.  Now, if you ever move them around or need to undo them quickly, you can take them apart in a moment & put them back.

I gotta admit, I've not done this myself as I just now thought about it while reading your post.  I've got a couple laying around....  next time I drag mine out from their lair, I might do that.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:12 AM, DizRotus said:

Damn, if only the flux capacitor weren’t on the fritz, I could jump in the Delorean and get that banana plug adapter.

Save the DeLorean for more important stuff. We got lots of things to go back and correct.

Just put a couple 5 way binding posts on the a piece of angle and use the superior connectivity and convenience of the banana plugs.😉

I don't trust those little screws inside the SpeakOns anyway. 

aa.thumb.JPG.541049087a31b56811d2d7a1016fffc3.JPGmsg-60988-0-54540000-1443484653_thumb.jpg

• Like 1