La Scalas now what?

guf

On 6/23/2019 at 5:44 PM, guf said:

here's the problem... I have a flight to catch and I'm sitting here listening to song after song. I need to get stuff done! ugh

Yes! The SWEET SOUND of La Scalas can captivate, eh?

They were designed that way! Theater Speakers!

John Kuthe...

DoIng the JubScala conversion properly, like with top-quality amplifiers, and so on, is expensive, but the goal is top-quality sound, so there’s no point is going cheap on any part, although you can find good used gear.  The Dx38 processor is a good example of that.

If you want the most cost-effective way to go, sell the La Scalas and order a pair of Jubilees.  Then you’ll have the great sound you’re dreaming of, and you’ll have it now (or a couple of months from now), instead of some vague time in the future.  Getting there step by step, trading up and up, is the most expensive way to go, and when you finally get the speakers you want, you’ll ask yourself why you didn’t just get them in the first place.

If it will take some time to save up for the Jubilees, then keep the La Scalas, but don’t spend much money on them, maybe just some new caps.  Every dollar you spend on them is a dollar that’s not going into the Jubilee savings account.  Yes, if you’re serious, start an account, in a piggy bank/trunk, or at an actual bank, and put as many hundreds of dollars into it as you can spare every month.  Automatic deposit from one of your existing accounts is the most painless way, because it comes off the top every month without fail, and you get by on the comfortable amount left after the deduction.  Don’t overdo it, of course.  No need to starve yourself, but eating out burns through a lot more money than eating at home.

In a year or two, if you don’t dip into it to buy Scala parts, you’re going to be close to being ready to make the call that will start the building of your new Jubilees.  You could even speed it up a bit by putting some of the price on credit, but you don’t want to go too far into debt to buy speakers.  That’s why cash is best, plus there’s no interest nibbling at your money.

That’s what I recommend.

• Like 1

It wasn't too many years ago I was still stuck on dial-up so I filtered incoming web pages to remove fluff like that (the animations).  6 minutes per megabyte.  Most web "pages" are more like apps anymore and can have a MB or more of text alone, but at least it's highly compressible for transmission.  Beyond all that, I've always been mildly annoyed by that stuff anyway.

18 minutes ago, glens said:

It wasn't too many years ago I was still stuck on dial-up so I filtered incoming web pages to remove fluff like that (the animations).  6 minutes per megabyte.  Most web "pages" are more like apps anymore and can have a MB or more of text alone, but at least it's highly compressible for transmission.  Beyond all that, I've always been mildly annoyed by that stuff anyway.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Islander said:

DoIng the JubScala conversion properly, like with top-quality amplifiers, and so on, is expensive, but the goal is top-quality sound, so there’s no point is going cheap on any part, although you can find good used gear.  The Dx38 processor is a good example of that.

If you want the most cost-effective way to go, sell the La Scalas and order a pair of Jubilees.  Then you’ll have the great sound you’re dreaming of, and you’ll have it now (or a couple of months from now), instead of some vague time in the future.  Getting there step by step, trading up and up, is the most expensive way to go, and when you finally get the speakers you want, you’ll ask yourself why you didn’t just get them in the first place.

If it will take some time to save up for the Jubilees, then keep the La Scalas, but don’t spend much money on them, maybe just some new caps.  Every dollar you spend on them is a dollar that’s not going into the Jubilee savings account.  Yes, if you’re serious, start an account, in a piggy bank/trunk, or at an actual bank, and put as many hundreds of dollars into it as you can spare every month.  Automatic deposit from one of your existing accounts is the most painless way, because it comes off the top every month without fail, and you get by on the comfortable amount left after the deduction.  Don’t overdo it, of course.  No need to starve yourself, but eating out burns through a lot more money than eating at home.

In a year or two, if you don’t dip into it to buy Scala parts, you’re going to be close to being ready to make the call that will start the building of your new Jubilees.  You could even speed it up a bit by putting some of the price on credit, but you don’t want to go too far into debt to buy speakers.  That’s why cash is best, plus there’s no interest nibbling at your money.

That’s what I recommend.

Slow down dude lol. He just bought these 2 weeks ago. The journey is the best part.

31 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Slow down dude lol. He just bought these 2 weeks ago. The journey is the best part.

Sure, by all means enjoy his new Scalas, but with them, as with motorbikes and some cars, some new buyers want to buy all the popular mods right away, before even getting accustomed to what they have.  I’ve never been in favour of that, which is why I recommended not spending too much money on them.  

I should have mentioned that.  Don’t even replace the caps.  Just listen to them and get used to how they sound.  If a person just throws parts at their new-to-them speakers, they won’t realize or appreciate what the changes have done.  In particular, make only one change at a time, or you won’t know which did what.

Get familiar with all there is to appreciate about the La Scala sound, but before buying expensive upgrades/updates, you’ll want to decide if they are truly the speaker you want.  They’re affordable, they sound really good, and they fit comfortably in your living space.  They may make you happy and completely satisfy you, which is great.  If you decide that you’d really, really, like to have a pair of Jubilees, just remember that every dollar spent on the Scalas pushes the Jubilees a dollar further into the future.  That’s all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Islander said:

Sure, by all means enjoy his new Scalas, but with them, as with motorbikes and some cars, some new buyers want to buy all the popular mods right away, before even getting accustomed to what they have.  I’ve never been in favour of that, which is why I recommended not spending too much money on them.  

I should have mentioned that.  Don’t even replace the caps.  Just listen to them and get used to how they sound.  If a person just throws parts at their new-to-them speakers, they won’t realize or appreciate what the changes have done.  In particular, make only one change at a time, or you won’t know which did what.

Get familiar with all there is to appreciate about the La Scala sound, but you’ll want to decide if they are truly the speaker you want, because they’re affordable, they sound really good, and they fit comfortably in your living space.  If you decide that you’d really, really, like to have a pair of Jubilees, just remember that every dollar spent on them pushes the Jubilees a dollar further into the future.  That’s all.

Good post agreed....

I gave the same advise. He has a bad xo though.

• Thanks 1

It dose take time to learn your systems sound. Like muscle memory playing guitar. I like to put a few months (or more depending how often you listen). Before doing anything new to system/speakers. 

Some small tweaks need that muscle memory to really hear the differences a change might make. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 3:36 PM, guf said:

Thanks for all the input and the rational reasoning! But geeze on the other thread people were spending all kinds of my money and thats more what I'm used to.  :)

Well how about this?

Everything is working fine now in both speakers! There is something up because they seem to be a bit finicky.  Maybe they just needed the cobwebs blown out.  I'm listening and enjoying with no hiccups for couple hours. Reassessing my goals now.  I love the idea of the two way but I have to research a bit more and maybe i won't want to know until I try it.  I do know that I'm nervous running my 45 watt tube amp through some complicated active crossover.  AND I'm running my speakers now with a whopping 6 watts and thinking maybe the 45 isn't going to cut it with 2 watts? In which case i could sell it and fund Jubilees.

I have to say I'm really, really enjoying the speakers and thinking what I need more of... detail? Brightness? I don't know. They sound pretty damn great now. 

Well, that’s great news!  I’m sure that made your day.  Maybe they had been quiet too long and forgot how to sing.

The La Scalas can put put great sound with nearly any good-quality amp.  Your 2 watts is the absolute lowest I’ve heard, but if you want more realistic punch and dynamics, more power is the way to go.  It’s amazing what a range of power works with them.  I started out with a 100 Wpc receiver, then found a really good deal on a great 500 Wpc power amp, and that brought new clarity as well as punch.  A year later, the parts to make the JubScala conversion became available (the K510 horns from one Forum member and a power amp to match the one I had, from another Forum member).  Then it was just a case of finding a Dx38 processor and the associated XLR cabling, and over a month or so, it came together.  Now that they’re bi-amped, they have 500 watts available to each driver, so that’s 1000 Watts per channel.  Most of the time, they’re running on less than 1 Watt, but the headroom makes for amazing dynamic range.

What surprised me was the cost.  I’d paid $1200 for the La Scalas, then spent $300 on new Sonicaps and CT125 tweeters.  So far, so good.  However, by the time the conversion was complete, I’d spent another $4000 on those $1200 speakers.  And that was with used parts.  Suddenly, $7000 or so for new, warranteed and delivered, Jubilees doesn’t sound like a mad sum.

This is not to discourage you in any way, just to give you some idea of the costs involved, whichever way you go.

1 minute ago, Deang said:

I use to own Jubilees. I now do almost all of my listening with Klipsch x20i IEMs. They sound better.

Ear buds huh... Man those are expensive! I thought the $100 for the bose were expensive lol. 

I've wondered what it might be like to have a great pair of headphones/earbuds, and set it up so the subs in the room are going as well. That way you get the tactical body bass and the immersive sound that headphones/earbuds give. 

• Like 1