La Scalas now what?

guf

You caught me before my edit. The EIMs sound better than the Jubilees using my music, which is greatly compressed and generally not mixed all that well. The Jubilees rendered a lot of my music unlistenable. Good recordings sound great, bad ones sound worse than horrible.

I'm sure the wood box costs peanuts. The better question is how much did I pay once I added this custom cable from Japan.

20190707_170820.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Islander said:

DoIng the JubScala conversion properly, like with top-quality amplifiers, and so on, is expensive

Newsflash.............................there's not such thing as a "JubeScala" what makes a Jube a Jube is the BASS BIN and a LaScala bass bass bin simply "Ain't IT." Sez the man who has had real "JUBE" ownership as well as several LaScalas.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Newsflash.............................there's not such thing as a "JubeScala" what makes a Jube a Jube is the BASS BIN and a LaScala bass bass bin simply "Ain't IT." Sez the man who has had real "JUBE" ownership as well as several LaScalas.

You seem to stand alone in that opinion.  The consensus looks to be that the magic is in the 402 horn.  The bass unit is great, too, but it's not the star of the show.  Have you not wondered why there are so many conversions using the 402 horns, and none that I've heard of using the Jubilee bass bin?

Haven't we had this discussion before?

13 minutes ago, Islander said:

You seem to stand alone in that opinion.  The consensus looks to be that the magic is in the 402 horn.  The bass unit is great, too, but it's not the star of the show.  Have you not wondered why there are so many conversions using the 402 horns, and none that I've heard of using the Jubilee bass bin?

I don't think he stands alone with his statement. The K404 goes with many bass cabs, but the 'Jube' IS the Jubilee bass cabinet. Having a LaScala with a 510 or 402 on top doesn't really seem to have 'jube' associated with it, no matter how great they may sound. The same as all the drift from Bob's cornscala beginnings

When Roy first demonstrated a K402 on the LaScala for a small group of us is when I believe some started calling it a Jubscala so I understand stand why Islander might use that phrase.

With that being said Roy has always said at any gatherings I’ve been a part of is that what makes a Jub is the Jubilee LF Horn.

Klipsch Listening Room at Lab. I’m in the yellow shirt and Drwho is to my left. Rigma’s passive crossover and my Tube Amps can be seen in the floor. Great Time this was...🙂

miketn

798F8069-809E-4F6C-A1CF-4479E0CCA9A3.thumb.jpeg.8836901ba8c906ddc7d52feb41ae8ae3.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Islander said:

Yes you guys have .... 😄

and in this thread an interesting response from Roy

B6082AAF-CB77-4216-950B-45CA5C65D6E5.thumb.jpeg.0f0233123efd8f10d95fe038b18476c9.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Yes you guys have .... 😄

and in this thread an interesting response from Roy

B6082AAF-CB77-4216-950B-45CA5C65D6E5.thumb.jpeg.0f0233123efd8f10d95fe038b18476c9.jpeg

What they have in common is a non expanding vertical dimension. And, without a corner, the bass falls short of the Khorn and closer to the LS.

The Jubilee Bass Bin has had several horns on top of it, including the K-402 as a 3-way Theater speakers, as well as a 2-way with various drivers. Klipsch gave away a Jube with a K510 Horn with B&C DE-750 driver with passive Xover  in a drawing to a lucky winner from Michigan about 12 years ago. The one at Valerie Klipsch house had a K503 horn on top and it was still a Jubilee. The one at a Dealer from North Carolina had another brand of horn on top and it was still called a Jubilee, and he owns 1 of only 2 pairs of "Golden Jubilees" in the world. One pair in a Museum and his came from Klementovich, who wrote Paul's Biography. I measured it.

Regardless of what Treble section is on top, it's still called a Jubilee with the smaller horn, but if it had a LaScala bass bin it would have just been called a 2-way LaScala. The same is true with an MWM with a K-402 on top, it's still an MWM!! I still stand by my BS button on this, so I'm NOT the one who's alone in saying the BASS section is what determines the name and NOT the whatever Treble horn happens to be on top of it. To think otherwise is both ILLOGICAL and FALSE.

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

With that being said Roy has always said at any gatherings I’ve been a part of is that what makes a Jub is the Jubilee LF Horn.

I rest my case based on logic, the quote from the co-patent holder, and traditionally how all of the other Klipsch Bass Horn dominant speaker names have been referenced historically. A LaScala is still a LaScala even where the "tweeter" is bigger than the woofer in the case of the K402 on top. The comparative graphic was created to show the relative sizes of everything at the same scale, not to create a false naming convention as claimed by those who continue with their insistence of propagating that falsehood on this forum.

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

When Roy first demonstrated a K402 on the LaScala for a small group of us is when I believe some started calling it a Jubscala so I understand stand why Islander might use that phrase.

Klipsch Listening Room at Lab. I’m in the yellow shirt and Drwho is to my left. Rigma’s passive crossover and my Tube Amps can be seen in the floor. Great Time this was...🙂

miketn

798F8069-809E-4F6C-A1CF-4479E0CCA9A3.thumb.jpeg.8836901ba8c906ddc7d52feb41ae8ae3.jpeg

Very cool, love the photo.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I rest my case based on logic, the quote from the co-patent holder, and traditionally how all of the other Klipsch Bass Horn dominant speaker names have been referenced historically. A LaScala is still a LaScala even where the "tweeter" is bigger than the woofer in the case of the K402 on top. The comparative graphic was created to show the relative sizes of everything at the same scale, not to create a false naming convention as claimed by those who continue with their insistence of propagating that falsehood on this forum.

Why is this such an issue for you?  I thought we settled it last time, when we agreed that calling the speaker either a “La Scala with Jubilee tweeter” or “JubScala” would be equally accurate.  Call it whatever makes you happy.  That was where the discussion ended.

When Roy himself uses the term “jub scala” and says that it sounds very good, I have to agree.  It does sound very good.  I’m sure your hybrid speakers, every variety, sound very good.  You have  a lot of experience and have done a lot of research.  You can call them whatever you like.  I promise that I won’t make any mocking comments about them.  There’s nothing here to get upset about.

JubScala reference to me was simply a name given to a marriage of the K402/LaScala LF as a great center channel option between a pair of Jubilee/K402. If I remember correctly Bill Hendrix was the first to implement this combination back in the day..🙂

It turned out to be a great stand alone option as Islander and some others have experienced..

miketn

• Thanks 1

Isn’t it fun to see Canadians squabbling over whether, despite Roy’s statement that “Jubilee” refers to the bass bin, it’s appropriate to append Jube to any high frequency component ever associated with a Jube bass bin?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Islander said:

Why is this such an issue for you?  I thought we settled it last time, when we agreed that calling the speaker either a “La Scala with Jubilee tweeter” or “JubScala” would be equally accurate.  Call it whatever makes you happy.  That was where the discussion ended.

When Roy himself uses the term “jub scala” and says that it sounds very good, I have to agree.  It does sound very good.  I’m sure your hybrid speakers, every variety, sound very good.  You have  a lot of experience and have done a lot of research.  You can call them whatever you like.  I promise that I won’t make any mocking comments about them.  There’s nothing here to get upset about.

I has nothing to do with you and I. I'm not upset about it. But if I agreed with you we would both be wrong.

7 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

JubScala reference to me was simply a name given to a marriage of the K402/LaScala LF as a great center channel option between a pair of Jubilee/K402. If I remember correctly Bill Hendrix was the first to implement this combination back in the day..🙂

It turned out to be a great stand alone option as Islander and some others have experienced..

miketn

Yep, so it also has  subsequently devolved into calling a LaScala bass bin, married to a little K-510 horn a JubeScala also, which is even more wrong than the one with the K-402.

I'm sure that that Islander's speakers sound terrific, but that's not the point.

On the passive side of Xovers, I actually prefer a LaScala with Subs to a Khorn, but I prefer an Active Jubilee with subs to both (my taste and my money). I have owned them all. As a Technical Editor, I wrote and published over 150 Articles in 6 different Magazines in 2 different industries, namely Professional Photography and Printed Circuit Design, along with secondary publications, some of them with 60,000 people on their mailing list. Pardon me for merely wanting to get the WORDS right, but it's how I got to be well known in those fields. I'm merely applying the same amount of "word integrity" here. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Couple Comments:

I think it was me that came up with the name.  Having two Jubilee's setup and needing a center channel, I asked Roy if the 402 would work on top of the LaScala bass bin.

He reflected a moment, said he didn't see any reason why it wouldn't.  A year later, he brought it out for listening purposes.

My intent was to have a capable center channel that would sound similar to the Jubilee's.

I understand that the bass bin is what makes the Jubilee, the Jubilee.  I have no qualms with that.  By the same token, in my simpleton way, I have no qualms calling a LaScala bass bin with 402 on top, a JubeScala.

Is it right or wrong....  frankly, I don't care.  Note mikes posting above, looks like even ROY used the term.  He certainly has no intents to disrespect PWK and felt comfortable enough to use the name.  It DOES help differentiate what you are talking about.

If it creates any angst, any ire, then I suppose it would be most appropriate if you directed said ire towards me since I'm the one that coined the phrase

Meanwhile, there are probably more important things in life and audio to focus on and worry about.......  like is the wire for Dean's earphones cyrogenically treated or not???  Does he use little risers on the floor to hold the wire up?  (of course, this suggests he only listens with his head against the floor since he'd only have 3" range of motion by using said wire risers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

"by you" I'm speaking generically to anyone that doesn't like the name for whatever reason.  (it wasn't directed specifically at you Claude, we were simply typing at same time)

All good by me. Your claim as the originator, as well as propagator, just proves that between you and Islander, the phrase: "Two wrongs don't make a right." is once again proven true. I rest my case, your honor.