La Scalas now what?

guf

51 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

the length of the horns is the cause for the delay[?]

Most of the time mismatch is due to the difference in length of the attached horns.  Some of the time mismatch is due to the electrical crossover filters delaying the lower frequency driver/horn.  It's 90 degrees of phase lag for every order of the filter (i.e., 90 degrees for first order, 180 degrees for second order, etc.). 

In an MEH (multiple entry horn), the drivers are within 90 degrees of time alignment at the crossover frequency, with the lower frequency drivers being closer to the listener than the higher frequency drivers.  This time aligns the drivers if first order or lower order filters are used. The K-402-MEH uses only 0.5 ms of delay on the woofer channel (yes, I said woofer channel) since I don't use a first order crossover, rather a "fractional order acoustic crossover" inherent in the drivers mounted on the horn itself. 

52 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

why not have all the drivers emit from one horn big enough for the bass response?  because that horn will color/misreproduce the hf? 

This is the principle of the MEH--one horn aperture. There is no loss of fidelity, in fact, just the opposite if the lower frequency drivers (the drivers off the central axis of the horn) and their associated horn ports are placed in the right places. 

12 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Correct idea...Look up synergy horns or @Chris A  MEH (multiple entry horn).

See the following thread:

12 minutes ago, glens said:

And if I understand correctly, that's with a single amp driving full-range through a passive crossover. 

Yes, a complicated passive crossover that does extensive EQing.  That crossover took Tom Danley a few years to figure out how to design/implement correctly.

147495859_SH-50withoutcabinet--crossoverPCB.jpg.399d683fd723e47e6c1c823a62416550.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 12:38 PM, WillyBob said:

because this is too simple

I prolly know the answer already

the length of the horns is the cause for the delay[?]

why not have all the drivers emit from one horn big enough for the bass response?

because that horn will color/misreproduce the hf?

You have just described a Danley Synergy Horn.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, Chris A said:

Yes, a complicated passive crossover that does extensive EQing.  That crossover took Tom Danley a few years to figure out how to design/implement correctly.

It was designed using an $800 software called LSP CAD. It also has protective circuitry for DB freaks with Kilowatt amplifiers whereas the SH-50's will reach 130 db levels. They are SMALLER than a LaScala, and being triangular shaped, will fit neatly into a corner, which flattens the response down to 40 Hz. (10 Hz. lower than the published specification of 50 Hz.). So now the OP can say he KNOWS the answer to the "Now What?"

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, guf said:

close! actually red eye SF to Boston, rent a car and drive to Bangor Maine to see 2 nights of Phish. Then to Phiily for 3 Shows at Camden.  :)

So the real questions here are:

1) Did you freeze in Bangor?

2) Have you recovered from Camden yet?!?

Jealous you got a Plasma and Meatstick! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lakedmb said:

So the real questions here are:

1) Did you freeze in Bangor?

2) Have you recovered from Camden yet?!?

Jealous you got a Plasma and Meatstick! 

1) I live in  San Francisco. So I’m at home with weather like that. I loved it! 

2)  just about recovered. And ready for Alpine! 

I gave up Connecticut for Camden  🤔😳

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 5:55 AM, jwc said:

Roy IS NOT the co-patent holder of the Jube bass bin...as there is no patent.

You guys are arguing over slang.

I agree.  it is slang.  Yes, I enjoy and respect technical writing as much as the next person, and as a millwright and licenced mechanic in other trades, maybe even more than most people.  However, this discussion is not about an airliner flight manual, it's about the nickname used for a hybrid speaker, of which probably fewer than fifty exist.  The nickname is likely only used by a few members of this forum, not the general public, so it's not going to contaminate the English language or confuse any innocent speaker buyers.  There's no point in getting heated up about something as trivial as this.

Hey. Update here. New crossovers installed from dean. New tweeters from bob. Up and running. Everything sounds great. I do feel like I’m getting a bit of muddy bass.  I do has a sub that I turn off and on to see if it helps balance things out. I’ve moved things around, spread the speakers. And used rubber isolating 2 inch risers, to decouple from my wood non insulated floor over a garage. to see if anything would help. I think it’s getting better. 

Spread the speakers a bit. It’s deceiving but from the plane of the front of the speakers there is 5 feet. To the rear wall. Besides the fire place obvi. 

The sound stage is awesome. Not pinpoint but all encompassing. I listened to a lot of live recordings so it’s pretty accurate to what it sounds like live. 

0C1E5365-120F-4DC1-A5F2-1CF57B0AC7EF.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...