La Scalas now what?

guf

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Isn’t it fun to see Canadians squabbling over whether, despite Roy’s statement that “Jubilee” refers to the bass bin, it’s appropriate to append Jube to any high frequency component ever associated with a Jube bass bin?

Yes, it is fun. It's way more fun than having to compromise with smaller horns just to please a wife or girlfriend. Got rid of those problems a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

Side comment....   those people that call it a Jubscala verses JubeScala .....  they're on my short list!

:emotion-14:

Now that is some funny stuff. Good post, but it does beg for a totally different pronunciation as well. Who knows, it could devolve further into JugScala with similar the resultant phonetics as the one with the missing "e," which, the one WITH the "e"  is an abbreviation to begin with.

3 minutes ago, jwc said:

Roy IS NOT the co-patent holder of the Jube bass bin...as there is no patent.

You guys are arguing over slang.

Ah, my bad if that is the case. I had that impression simply because he did most of the grunt work building prototypes, solved the high frequency response issue by splaying the twin horn mouths closer, etc. and co-authored the AES paper about it.

19 minutes ago, jwc said:

To this day, I have not heard a Klipsch speaker that has the imaging and "3-d" that a Lascala has.  I'm not including clarity and dynamics.

That's because it's more "phase coherent" than a Khorn, but not anywhere near an MEH. Apparently you are one of those people whose hearing is sensitive to Phase, like many others. Not everyone is, and that's just fine by me.

1 hour ago, jwc said:

To this day, I have not heard a Klipsch speaker that has the imaging and "3-d" that a Lascala has.  I'm not including clarity and dynamics.

I have.

In fact, what you call "3D" is probably something else: the midrange driver lagging the tweeter and the bass bin lagging the midrange. 

LSII Stock Impulse Response spectrogram.jpg

Older Cornwalls (before ~1990s) have the same delay between the tweeter and midrange, without a low-pass filter on the midrange.  You get a dipole-like backwave effect from the trailing midrange response behind the tweeter's response.

Chris

"""the midrange driver lagging the tweeter and the bass bin lagging the midrange."""

Well, whatever the cause is and what it is actually called, is very appealing to my ears.  Sounds can literally travel from one channel, to me or behind, and back to the other side.    At times like a "plane of sound"  in front of me that is amazing.  I don't do drugs.

If it is an anomaly..... ok.  but feel Lascala is best at it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that I'd call the LS-II sound "accurate" in terms of its perceived depth of soundstage. 

Here's an actual LS-II spectrogram without bass bin channel time delay correction:

990494408_LSIIstockuncorrectedspectrogram.thumb.jpg.6ed33220d0e33261143477fc3d980191.jpg

Here's the group delay.  I had to zoom way out on the vertical axis in order to get it all in the plotted area.  (Anything above 1.5 ms group delay is audible.  I can't plot the LS-II phase response because it wraps up so much):

996094114_LSIIstockuncorrectedgroupdelay.thumb.jpg.6786950be532c577ebdf8acc44b7fede.jpg

For comparison's sake, here's a spectrogram of my right Jubilee that I'm running now:

Spectrogram limits and controls settings.JPG

And group delay (yellow trace).  Note the zoom-in in vertical scale from above:

TAD TD-4002 Jubilee vs. Danley SH-50 group delay response.jpg

Chris

Bose has other issues...overall fidelity being one of the biggest, as well as a complete loss of a focused soundstage.

One of these: https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-4x10-hd...plus a UMIK-1 and four additional amplifier channels to tri-amp the La Scalas will address the issues highlighted above.

Chris

2 hours ago, jwc said:

"""the midrange driver lagging the tweeter and the bass bin lagging the midrange."""

Well, whatever the cause is and what it is actually called, is very appealing to my ears.  Sounds can literally travel from one channel, to me or behind, and back to the other side.    At times like a "plane of sound"  in front of me that is amazing.  I don't do drugs.

If it is an anomaly..... ok.  but feel Lascala is best at it.

this is exactly why I don't try and flatten my signal/response...

because this is too simple

I prolly know the answer already

the length of the horns is the cause for the delay[?]

why not have all the drivers emit from one horn big enough for the bass response?

because that horn will color/misreproduce the hf?

44 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

why not have all the drivers emit from one horn big enough for the bass response?

Correct idea...

Look up synergy horns or @Chris A  MEH (multiple entry horn).

Bruce

41 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

because that horn will color/misreproduce the hf?

That blue trace in the last graph Chris posted is just such an animal.  And if I understand correctly, that's with a single amp driving full-range through a passive crossover.  I want me some.