Cool looking couch/loveseat for upstairs

avguytx

Somehow, my wife stuck me with the leather recliner for upstairs that we'd bought as a 3 piece group late 2017.  We got furniture and then all the land/house building thing started and that recliner made it's way upstairs.  Now the problem is, what if my buddy comes over and we want to jam on some tunes and drink some beer?  I'm pretty sure we're not going to want to sit on each others lap.  Or what if me, wife, and son decide to watch a movie up there?  (no surround stuff)  The recliner just isn't going to cut it.  I was perusing FB Marketplace and someone locally had this, what I thought was, cool looking genuine Italian leather sofa for $250 a week ago and now the price is now $180.  Anyone recognize the style?  I'm not good with fashion stuff.

Really, what worries me is the resurgence of bed bugs over the last 5 to 10 years that come up almost anywhere leaving no one out of the loop.  Maybe that's why I hate traveling anymore; you just don't know who was in that hotel room before you were or what they left behind.  Ugh...

But it's still cool looking.  I can't find anything I like without it being stupid expensive...or ugly.

image.png.4937ee42ae3ef142e28004ba92160521.png

Looks comfy with clean lines....  135 will buy it ill bet... Maybe less!  You can always go up but never down!  lol  You know that.  Tear it apart and look for those lil critters.  They're hiding somewhere deep if they're there.  Stayed at a NEW Hilton once and found them in the room and the manager said it was impossible.  Nope, got a bug-free room upgrade for free!  Know a guy who was out once and using his laptop then crashed.  Picked it up the next morning and there must have been a 100 in this pic he took.  Nice and comfy in there I suppose.  He never had a problem cause they were all inside his laptop we think!  lolol  

Hmm, bed bugs. one never knows when dealing with used furniture. Nasty.  The true test of a sofa however, once you like its look, is in how comfy it is to sit in.  you need to test it out first.   

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

I was perusing FB Marketplace and someone locally had this, what I thought was, cool looking genuine Italian leather sofa for $250 a week ago and now the price is now $180.  Anyone recognize the style?  I'm not good with fashion stuff.

Really, what worries me is the resurgence of bed bugs over the last 5 to 10 years that come up almost anywhere leaving no one out of the loop.  Maybe that's why I hate traveling anymore; you just don't know who was in that hotel room before you were or what they left behind.  Ugh...

But it's still cool looking.  I can't find anything I like without it being stupid expensive...or ugly.

image.png.4937ee42ae3ef142e28004ba92160521.png

That's a pretty nice piece for $180. I have an Italian leather sofa I purchased new in 2012 for $1200 + taxes @ Hurwitz Mintz (local store) on sale.

I'm far from an expert on bedbugs but leather is a rather impervious material, not porous like fabric. I'd have to go check it out and give it a good visual inspection. A dark garage and a bright flashlight would be an A-1 inspection.

I'm with you, I dread travelling for that very reason these days. Bed bugs, don't want to get bit nor bring them home with me in my luggage. I like sleeping in MY bed.

The last place I traveled was NYC for my favorite niece's wedding about 4.5 years ago. I stayed at a nicer hotel hopefully to avoid bedbugs. It all worked out but NYC is on the hit list for bed bug transmissions.

I drove to Houston TX in April for the Springnational drag races on Sunday. Left my house @ 0330, went to the races all day, then drove home again after 2 Dunkin Donuts cold coffee cans, and another cup of coffee on the road. I got home @ approx 2030 and was still amped up. It was a 560 mile round trip. The drags @ Houston were awesome! I had planned to stay somewhere around the racetrack if I was tired after a long day but it all worked out really well. Hitting the I-10 westbound @ 0330 was boss, no traffic to speak of.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Really, what worries me is the resurgence of bed bugs over the last 5 to 10 years that come up almost anywhere leaving no one out of the loop. 

I was watching a show the other day about bed bugs and hotels, one way they got rid of them was high temperatures. Maby if you think it may have bed bugs read and find out what temps it takes, wrap the sofa with some plastic and leave it to sit in the sun if that is high enough temperature to kill them, I know it would kill a person anywhere in the south with the heat.

Cool looking sofa, furniture like this is expensive, people are doing whole houses in the Atomic age as some call it, or mid century.

Edit: Went to look it up and found this, it would be easy to get to these temps wrapped and out in the sun.

Temperature That Kills Bed Bugs

A similar process can be used with heat. Adult bed bugs die at 119 degrees Fahrenheit, and their heat-resistant eggs require temperatures upwards of 125 degrees. Some infested objects can be safely baked in the oven at these temperatures for three to five hours to get rid of the pests.

Safety should always be considered in deciding whether to treat in this manner.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, muel said:

Turn off the air and close it up in the room with a tube amp playing some tunes.  

No doubt.  I know it warmed up the room in the time frame I was playing my VTA ST-70.  Of course, the AC was on, but...

That's all what I've been told, too, in regards to the heat and wrapping things in thick garbage bags and setting them in the sun for awhile.  Temps get about 150+ inside garbage bags doing that method.  If I were do get it, I would probably wrap that thing and leave it in the driveway all day just to make darn sure.  Deliberating....

• 1 year later...