Just hooked up the Chorus II-First Impressions

Imsjry

The Chorus Ii and forte Ii use the same mid horn and driver, the forte Ii mid is dialed back -4db in the crossover to match the less efficient woofer making the sound seem "smoother." The increased sensitivity give the Chorus II the edge at lower volumes but can get bright / fatiguing at higher volumes especially in certain rooms and with certain equipment.  I found at low volumes toeing the speakers in aimed right at or near the listening position was best but at higher, room filling volumes pointing the speakers straight ahead was best. 

There is a fix for the Chorus II it's the A55-g mid driver, its -2db over the stock driver, is a 2" voice coil same as used in the Heritage line really balances out the speaker and gives it a slightly larger bigger sound. 

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 2:48 PM, Imsjry said:

Ok after more critical listening between the two speakers today, my hearing tells me the following;

The Chorus ii sound more full with fatter bottom end. More concert-style sound to my ears. They seem to have more spacial separation between left and right channels. 

The Forte ii sound a bit thinner, yet somehow are more refined musically. I can pick out the individual instruments better although I need to turn the volume up a bit louder to do so. 

So im back to thinking neither are clearly better then the other. The differences are subtle and just that...they are different yet both amazing. 

Long story short, They are both amazing speakers and I am not selling either of these anytime soon. I may just change them up from time to time for a different experience. Like getting different good bottles of wine, life is much better with variations. 

So based on these findings, I am wondering if you guys have any advice on the best way to "mellow" them out a bit? At louder levels, I'm getting a high end or mid headache. I'm starting to wonder if my room is just too small for them since the Forte II didn't cause this syndrome.

I will try a big rug in the room for starters. Would the Crites diaphragm's help with this or just make it worse? What about the Dynaflex dampening thing I've read a little about?  

I did move them to the corners and the bass is much more controlled now. The couch is about 12ft back from them.

room2.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The Chorus Ii and forte Ii use the same mid horn and driver, the forte Ii mid is dialed back -4db in the crossover to match the less efficient woofer making the sound seem "smoother." The increased sensitivity give the Chorus II the edge at lower volumes but can get bright / fatiguing at higher volumes especially in certain rooms and with certain equipment.  I found at low volumes toeing the speakers in aimed right at or near the listening position was best but at higher, room filling volumes pointing the speakers straight ahead was best. 

There is a fix for the Chorus II it's the A55-g mid driver, its -2db over the stock driver, is a 2" voice coil same as used in the Heritage line really balances out the speaker and gives it a slightly larger bigger sound. 

Thanks for this. Sorry I saw it after i just posted my last one. I can't imagine them having a BIGGER sound! Yikes.  

13 hours ago, veloceleste said:

The Crites titanium diaphragms will help with the treble brightness. They are much smoother and not as bright imo. I just put them in my Chorus II along with new crossovers from Crites. The crossovers smooth out the midrange too but I find the change to be more subtle than the tweeter change. Also to help reduce the brightness, what works for me is to make sure the speakers aren't aimed directly at  your listening position. Mine are angled in so that they cross a couple of feet in front of my listening position. I get a nice stereo image and a little bit of depth. 

Great to read this! I've read some other posts who say the titanium diaphragms are too bright so i'm struggling.