Heresy 1 removing paint

StonCuld

Hey there, new to the forum. Just grabbed a pair of 1980 or so Heresy speakers at an estate sale for $15, and they have been painted. It appears to be a white/cream latex. I want to remove it and attempt to restore the wood finish underneath. I am wondering if it is veneer underneath,  and if so how thick it is, or if it is hardwood plywood with a thicker top layer? I plan on starting on one of the included stands to test, but thought I would check on here. Also the badges on the grill cloth is missing, are the rectangular ones the proper ones to source, or the diamond ones? One last thing, does anyone have a good example of the original grill cloth? Thanks in advance for any help.

Do NOT use a liquid paint remover. Veneer is so thin it will delaminate, if any.

You'll have to sand the finish to determine whether it's veneer or birch plywood. Typically, you would see the "end grain" of the plywood (or layers as they may be called) by sanding where two sides meet. To test sand your Heresy's, first try sanding the back side perimeter. If not that, the bottom edge of the side panels. If you see the layers typically associated with plywood, you'll have your answer.

I chose each of those locations because they will not be seen by the user.

they all leave the factory with veneer, have not see any with whatever though.

Sometimes you can get a surprise under a black finish the factory usually use ash or oak (large open grain wood when painting black but folks have found walnut and other wood veneer beneath a sating black factory finish. Use a paint stripper rather than sand . Realize that you will have paint residue in the wood grain not to worry this can add an interesting visual affect. You want a stripper with a high level of methylene chloride note that this is toxic and especially so for those with heart problems use out of doors or with proper ventilation. After stripping you can lightly sand to finish the surface smooth.