Does designing an amplifier by ear really work?

tube fanatic

I have also been wondering about using the peizoelectric properties of hydrothermally grown quartz crystals. You could take a small diamond lapidary blade and cut to length and use them under every capacitor and I bet it would eliminate any ESR. I have not researched this but they have amethyst and citrine and clear colors. The Amethyst would have iron atoms in the crystal structure as this is what gives it it's color in addition to the piezoelectrical properties which might be a real game changer. For instance you could slice up one of these https://www.dhgate.com/product/20mm-thickness-hydrothermal-quartz-rough/453208956.html

and underlay dozens of capacitors. I am not certain how you would align them for best effect but maybe if you marked them as you cut you could keep the crystal lattice aligned relative to each other for best effect.

Of course, this is the REAL Brilliant Pebbles...

Brilliant Pebbles was a non-nuclear system of satellite-based interceptors designed to use high-velocity, watermelon-sized, teardrop-shaped projectiles made of tungsten as kinetic warheads. It was designed to operate in conjunction with the Brilliant Eyes sensor system.

or....

Pebbles_Flintstones.gif

• Moderators

Ok well I think we have this back on track, please try and keep it on track and friendly moving forward.  We have adressed some things that will hopefully get things in a positive direction.

I appologize in advance if your comment was a victim of pruning.   I have left many that are off topic, simply because they were funny and/or didn't involve individuals. 

We are not going to lock a thread started by Maynard, he was the one who got this section started so those who want to discuss all things tunes, or to learn about such things, have a dedicated place to exchange idea, offer alternative viewpoints, etc. in a friendly and respectful manner.

We really haven't been thread drift police in here (or anywhere), but we will be paying more attention.

So how read the paper?

I just read an article about Amos, I will try to find it, that states that Amos are.pretty much EQ control, shifting devices and if you happen to luck out with one that that suits your particular speakers then you will consider it a.good match.. This was news to me.

Like I said I will find it an post and see what you knowledgeable people think.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Ok well I think we have this back on track, please try and keep it on track and friendly moving forward.  We have adressed some things that will hopefully get things in a positive direction.

I appologize in advance if your comment was a victim of pruning.   I have left many that are off topic, simply because they were funny and/or didn't involve individuals.

We really haven't been thread drift police in here (or anywhere), but we will be paying more attention.

=== party pooper —

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tube Hawk 6AQ5 said:

Agree 100%.  Strictly moderated audio forums are no fun!☹️

But rules exist for a reason. Respectful discussion and sharing experiences and knowledge. I myself crossed that line a couple times early on (being a NFG with a personality disorder), but am working on it. 

There is zero reason or justification for personal attacks and its just not productive in the grand scheme of things here. I respect the mod's decisions.

Ya got 35,000 members here and 98% are male. And most think their toys are the best ever. Add in some ego and bravado..........oh brother!

• Like 1

IME, there is nothing to be gained being publicly critical of another member.  The anonymity of the medium makes it difficult for some to avoid personal conflicts.

Some take it personally when others have different preferences.  For example, you own an F150 and I buy a Ram, is incorrectly interpreted as a criticism of you for being so ignorant as to prefer your Ford.

I observed this phenomenon from an early age and have tried to avoid it.  My late father was a kind and decent man who would help strangers anyway he could, until he got behind the wheel of a car.  He was one of the most aggressive and competitive drivers I ever saw.  I don’t think he would have done well on the Internet.

IMO, the negative conduct exhibited by some need not be moderated to the extreme.  The kooky crankiness is amusing and easy, at least for me, to ignore.  I like class D chip amps, zip cord, and hi-res digital.  Do I lose sleep if someone else prefers tubes, Cardas cables, and vinyl?  I do not.  Over the 17 years I’ve haunted this forum, I’ve seen malcontents come and go.  When trolling troublemakers fail to get a rise out of others they grow bored and go to another board.

One thing that ought to unite us all is a shared preference for the high efficiency and low distortion of Klipsch, despite the anti-horn bias of “audiophiles.”  

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

IME, there is nothing to be gained being publicly critical of another member.  The anonymity of the medium makes it difficult for some to avoid personal conflicts.

Some take it personally when others have different preferences.  For example, you own an F150 and I buy a Ram, is incorrectly interpreted as a criticism of you for being so ignorant as to prefer your Ford.

I observed this phenomenon from an early age and have tried to avoid it.  My late father was a kind and decent man who would help strangers anyway he could, until he got behind the wheel of a car.  He was one of the most aggressive and competitive drivers I ever saw.  I don’t think he would have done well on the Internet.

IMO, the negative conduct exhibited by some need not be moderated to the extreme.  The kooky crankiness is amusing and easy, at least for me, to ignore.  I like class D chip amps, zip cord, and hi-res digital.  Do I lose sleep if someone else prefers tubes, Cardas cables, and vinyl?  I do not.  Over the 17 years I’ve haunted this forum, I’ve seen malcontents come and go.  When trolling troublemakers fail to get a rise out of others they grow bored and go to another board.

One thing that ought to unite us all is a shared preference for the high efficiency and low distortion of Klipsch, despite the anti-horn bias of “audiophiles.”  

Hear, hear, tell it, brother Neil, tell it! One of your best posts. E Pluribus Unum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That, for me personally, is in the running for Post of the Year, very well said.  You should have been a lawyer.

Travis

P.S.  Everyone knows people who drive Dodge trucks are idiots.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Over the 17 years I’ve haunted this forum, I’ve seen malcontents come and go.  When trolling troublemakers fail to get a rise out of others they grow bored and go to another board.

I agree, although what is considered malcontent behavior is in the eye of the beholder...Some want to get a rise with shock value while others try to keep things interesting in a civil manner. Fwiw, I missed the deleted discussion but can't help but think threads get locked when the name calling/belittling begins and the non sequiturs fly--That's my take.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:52 AM, babadono said:

image.png.5325e9f85887f5c7fef417c06229b496.png

Ok I am trying to quote the sentence the starts with "On all the elements........and sound quality".

So we are all agreed? That everything except the power amp is well defined and the sound quality standardized? Huh? Is this a Klipsch speaker forum?

The way I read this, the author's point isn't that general agreement exists among listeners–but, rather, agreement exists between accepted specifications and their resulting sound quality; in other words, the specifications and the sound quality for other elements in the chain are, generally speaking, not at odds with each other the way they sometimes can be with power amps (the premise of the article).

38 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

That, for me personally, is in the running for Post of the Year, very well said.  You should have been a lawyer.

Travis

P.S.  Everyone knows people who drive Dodge trucks are idiots.  

So now, YOU, are in the running for funniest $marta$$ remark of the year. Birds of a feather flock together!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1