Capacitors for LaScala AA Networks

In the K-Horn and LS-II Klipsch is using big yellow caps of high voltage ratings.  Does anyone know the manufacturer, materials used, and why the voltage rating is so high.  Any thoughts on performance effects of any of the above?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WMcD said:

In the K-Horn and LS-II Klipsch is using big yellow caps of high voltage ratings.  Does anyone know the manufacturer, materials used, and why the voltage rating is so high.  Any thoughts on performance effects of any of the above?

Those are plastic caps probably polyester and those films have a high dielectric strength hence the rating you will see usually 200 volts some times more.

4 hours ago, WMcD said:

Metallized Polyester. I don't know who makes them. I actually don't think they have large voltage ratings - I think 200Vdc. 

5 hours ago, geoff. said:

Ok, this timely post has turned up some heavy hitters! 

Being “north of the border” our purchasing power is severely crimped by the exchange rate, but Solen ships domestic.

What caps would be the best bang for the buck from this selection?

4E8F4AFD-2CD4-43F1-8934-AD5FCB919223.png

Metallized polypropylene is your bang for the buck capacitor - but not without some drawbacks. They're inexpensive for a reason.

Film and foil will provide the best sound. 

• Like 2

Lol. I thought of him last night. Getting cranky is definitely tied to pain. At any rate, the following came to mind: the context was amplifiers. 

"I can't hear a difference."

"I'm not that fortunate." - DJK

• Like 3

@geoff. I too am "north of the border", but have purchased capacitors from Parts Express.  The random, wheel of fortune ... you pay / you don't pay duty was favourable sometimes!  No way to tell when it will be.  Parts Connexion has a Canadian presence too.  If you have coupons or catch a sale, the Parts Express costs including all in (foreign exchange, shipping, potential duty) can come out pretty close / better than Solen although I'd like to support Canadian retailers.  Also, check Canada Audio Mart (buyer beware) as there are folks who sell capacitors there.  My meager budget is only supportive of mid-level, e.g. Jantzen z-Silver, or Dayton capacitors but these have provided excellent "bang for the buck" to my nearly 65 year old ears. 

• Like 1

Getting good speaker/audio advice online isn't always an easy task. Learning what a word means or a term a person can research pretty easy (google/bing). But finding out why x might be better than z is all over the map. Sometimes self labeled experts are flipping crazy. Just clicking on one of the 300,000 tabs your search resulted sometimes isn't a good way to get a question answered lol. 

So for me anyways. Asking questions here makes the most sense. I know who knows (or at least has experience in that). And bonus, also owns or has owned the speakers and guts I'm talking about. 

2 hours ago, MC39693 said:

Parts Connexion has a Canadian presence too. 

I've ordered from them twice and never got anything.  They're always out of stock or don't have enough quantity of a particular item.  I was refunded both times but wasted a bunch of time.

partsconnexion is run by Chris Johnson, co-founder of Sonic Frontiers. They used to make some awesome stuff. Sad story. At any rate, just a giant store front. My experience is the same as Carl's. I finally gave up and just don't bother with them anymore.

The Solen film and tin foils are a good value, especially is you live in Canada. And a little secret -- the Mundorf ZN film and foil is actually a rebranded Solen. 

• Like 1

I am in no-way knowledgeable (trying to learn), but ran across a cap comparison that's seems pretty exhaustive... Its largely subjective material--but having such a wide range of product lines reviewed in a single place, with some semblance of consistent baseline across the spectrum creates a kind of utility, I think, even though one may disagree with some of the content. The panelists also make a distinction between power and network applications, and complimentary pairings, which I found helpful.

Here it is:

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm#AAA

2 hours ago, Endo said:

... but ran across a cap comparison that's seems pretty exhaustive. 

Here it is:

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/caps.htm#AAA

More like exhausting. 

I quit reading when people start talking about 400 hours to break-in a capacitor.

SQ tracks with type, and quality of build and materials. Want long term reliability? Make sure it's hermetically sealed.