Capacitors for LaScala AA Networks

25 minutes ago, Deang said:

I quit reading when people start talking about 400 hours to break a capacitor in. 

Is there anything to this idea of break-in, ... Do fresh new caps get better with use?--I don't know about this.

30 minutes ago, Endo said:

Is there anything to this idea of break-in, ... Do fresh new caps get better with use?--I don't know about this.

Electrolytics might ...

Metallized types might ...

But for different reasons. But, anything they are going to do they are done doing within 20 hours. 

Film and foils. No. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geoff. said:

Ok, again, so how much of a difference does the coil make?

I (think I) have read that air-core is better and I thought I had read not to get caught up in the gauge of wire. 

Not so much.  Wire size directly affects the resistance of the inductor.  Iron/steel cores increase inductance and "pull" the magnetic field very close to the inductor, reducing interaction between 2 inductors.  The increased inductance means less wire may be used further reducing the resistance of the inductor. 

The negative of iron-core inductors is that the core will "saturate" at some power level and then the inductance changes and then changes again with more power changes.  :o  I remember a statement from Mr. Paul where he said the Khorn's woofer inductor saturated at 63 watts. 

• Like 1

Sixty-three watts, huh.  That is 18 dB above the 1 watt level or 105 dB plus 18 is 123 dB which is a little above the rated max output  of 121 dB (equating electrical dB to acoustic dB).   Therefore it makes sense. Then again someplace he said you can run the K-Horn without that inductor.

It also shows you don't need more than 63 watts of electrical power which is dangerously loud anyway.

WMcD

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Sixty-three watts, huh.  That is 18 dB above the 1 watt level or 105 dB plus 18 is 123 dB which is a little above the rated max output  of 121 dB (equating electrical dB to acoustic dB).   Therefore it makes sense. Then again someplace he said you can run the K-Horn without that inductor.

It also shows you don't need more than 63 watts of electrical power which is dangerously loud anyway.

WMcD

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d13017662717a6959

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Deang said:

More like exhausting. 

I quit reading when people start talking about 400 hours to break-in a capacitor.

SQ tracks with type, and quality of build and materials. Want long term reliability? Make sure it's hermetically sealed. 

Teflon film caps DO take in the multiple hundreds of hours to break in. Not hyperbole at all, and a long wait, but once they do break in they "get out of the way" sonically like nothing else. Makes for a LONG evaluation time though - many don't have the patience to do it but rewarding in a lot of cases.

That said, I'm not sure I would want to go TFTF for crossovers on a horn speaker, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Audible Nectar said:

That said, I'm not sure I would want to go TFTF for crossovers on a horn speaker, though.

Even if you wanted to, they don't come in values high enough. You can go metallized, but then why bother.

5 hours ago, Audible Nectar said:

Teflon film caps DO take in the multiple hundreds of hours to break in. Not hyperbole at all, and a long wait, but once they do break in they "get out of the way" sonically like nothing else. Makes for a LONG evaluation time though - many don't have the patience to do it but rewarding in a lot of cases.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Even if you wanted to, they don't come in values high enough. You can go metallized, but then why bother.

Horn speakers require higher values (uf)? why?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, Deang said:

Why not email Jeff Glowacki of Soniccraft and ask him what he would put in a horn loaded loudspeaker? Since he designed the Sonicap, he might provide some interesting input. 

cs@soniccraft.com 

@DeangSo I emailed Jeff and he told me my oiled filled 43yr old caps probably sound as good as when they left the factory.  how can this be remotely true?????

• Like 1