Capacitors for LaScala AA Networks

On 6/26/2019 at 12:04 PM, Audible Nectar said:

Teflon film caps DO take in the multiple hundreds of hours to break in. Not hyperbole at all, and a long wait, but once they do break in they "get out of the way" sonically like nothing else. Makes for a LONG evaluation time though - many don't have the patience to do it but rewarding in a lot of cases.

That said, I'm not sure I would want to go TFTF for crossovers on a horn speaker, though.

The need for break in was definitely true for the higher voltage application in my amps.  It took almost 500 hours for the grain (very slight) to finally disappear.  https://www.v-cap.com/tftf-capacitors.php  

Also, re: Jeff and his suggestions on caps for crossovers as of a few years ago - He was very quick to express his affection for the Jupiter caps.  The old versions were being replaced so nobody had much experience with the new ones yet.  I already had been very impressed with Jupiter (both high and lower voltage applications) so I had no hesitation scarfing up what he offered of the old versions to rebuild a few networks.  Almost every crossover I have uses Jupiter caps.  No @Deang, I haven't touched your networks... they still have the OIMP Vcaps

@mboxler brought up a good idea for a new thread!  I love to learn!  I'm old enough that I forget stuff sometimes and now I can learn the same stuff over and over.  

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

This in parallel Not series. 

Many of these questions over the last few days could be answered with a quick google or wiki search

this forum is my google. most are very helpful here and for a newbie like me it is very helpful and I am very appreciative

If you're running K-77's, and listen at insanely loud levels, or run a piece of crap amplifier that pops and howls - you should probably use them. The benefit is tweeter protection. The caveat is a possible impact on sound quality. There is debate about this.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 12:36 AM, mboxler said:

It seems that capacitors are only discussed in crossover upgrades, and then it seems to turn into a discussion on which brand of capacitor is best. 

I'm sure many don't care about the how's and why's of a capacitor,  but perhaps there are many others who do.  It might be interesting to discuss plates and dielectrics instead of brand A vs brand B.

Back in 1980, Audio Magazine published an article on Picking Capacitors -
http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/oldRC/www.reliablecapacitors.com/pickcap.html
While this article is primarily concerned with low level signals, the Summary is applicable to crossover circuits - "Above, 0.1 uF polypropylene (or metalized polypropylene) is the dielectric of choice".

• Like 1