Those running huge multi subwoofers

mr clean

1 hour ago, mr clean said:

Me just being a tighta$$ but when using your subs a lot does it make a big difference on your electric bill?

Are you serious? You should be more concerned with your home HVAC energy costs. Or your refrigerator, it will consume more power annually than your part time multiple sub usage.

• Like 3

Perhaps, the poster was perusing AVS and noticed some who post their DIY builds of 8 to 10 subs, with a stack of 1600 watt pro amps to each one.  So, as a thought experiment, one could ponder, if said overkill system is run regularly for several hours per day at bass pummeling levels, could there be a noticeable uptick in energy usage that would show up on ones bill?   🤔      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

We use one Crown XTI1002 bridged which is 1000w output.

38w at idle

270 watts working

But I only need one for one sub, it would add up if i had 10 subs, but 10 would cause me and the house serious problems. I'm not exxagerating.

I don't see the point in having or needing 5-10 subs, get a better design.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, babadono said:

If when running your subs the lights dim, then you should start to worry.:)

I've done that 🙋‍♂️

😜

• Like 1

An interesting aspect of the system in the above youtube vid which got my attention, besides the 10- 21" driver subs, were the mains pictured. They are basically an DIY Epic design using 18" drivers.  👍

• Moderators

Could be plugged into the same circuit and messing with your lights?

A friend had florescent lights in his man cave and they would flicker a little, but he does push it in there.

9 hours ago, dtel said:

We use one Crown XTI1002 bridged which is 1000w output.

38w at idle

270 watts working

But I only need one for one sub, it would add up if i had 10 subs, but 10 would cause me and the house serious problems. I'm not exxagerating.

I don't see the point in having or needing 5-10 subs, get a better design.

Big rooms on concrete would be the only time in a home I could see this as a possible need.

I think in some cases people are as obsessed with bass like some of us on here are with horns (402 anyone 😉). 

mwm (27).jpg

• Like 1