Those running huge multi subwoofers

mr clean

On 6/25/2019 at 10:02 AM, Shiva said:

Perhaps, the poster was perusing AVS and noticed some who post their DIY builds of 8 to 10 subs, with a stack of 1600 watt pro amps to each one.  So, as a thought experiment, one could ponder, if said overkill system is run regularly for several hours per day at bass pummeling levels, could there be a noticeable uptick in energy usage that would show up on ones bill?   🤔      

This is what im talking about and should have explained better. The big extreme systems. Im sure some using subs for music go with multi huge subs also.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:16 AM, polizzio said:

Are you serious? You should be more concerned with your home HVAC energy costs. Or your refrigerator, it will consume more power annually than your part time multiple sub usage.

In electrical engineering school we learned that most electrical power in a house is used to move heat from one place to another. Refrigerators, A/C, any electrical Heat Pump! So yes HVAC,  and insulate, insulate, insulate!

John Kuthe...

• Like 2

Most subwoofers are powered with energy efficient Class D amplifiers. I just gave away some normal size subwoofers that I bought over the years and upgraded. Should have just bought huge multi subwoofers in the first place and saved the time and money. Large or small subs use about the same amount of electricity, and the big subwoofers sound better. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 7:09 PM, Shiva said:

An interesting aspect of the system in the above youtube vid which got my attention, besides the 10- 21" driver subs, were the mains pictured. They are basically an DIY Epic design using 18" drivers.  👍

Well explains everything. I'm using four Epik Empire with two 15" each. I can dim the lights with Telarc's 1812 Overture as well as a few self-made recordings, like the 133dB SPL of fuel dragsters at Route 66 Speedway.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, artto said:

Well explains everything. I'm using four Epik Empire with two 15" each. I can dim the lights with Telarc's 1812 Overture as well as a few self-made recordings, like the 133dB SPL of fuel dragsters at Route 66 Speedway.

Good to hear that your Epiks are still running strong after all these years.   

• Moderators
On 6/25/2019 at 10:25 PM, Heritage_Head said:

Big rooms on concrete would be the only time in a home I could see this as a possible need.

I think in some cases people are as obsessed with bass like some of us on here are with horns (402 anyone 😉). 

mwm (27).jpg

Some people are just sick, like that, why would you need anything like that, it's just crazy. :wacko2:

• Haha 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Man I don't know 🤷‍♂️....I thought maybe you might know dtel.

I do, I know him and he is not right, that's just the bass part of the speaker, the sub is between those just out of the picture. That's a 65" TV for size.

Not normal.

speakers (38).jpg

• Like 1

At one time a was running 5 krell and a few old school crown amps. All were class A amps. And yes I would see my power bill go up when I have movie parties or parties when I used all of my system. At time my bill could be 60 to 100 dollars more when we used the , what I called , the large system
So I sold all the class A amps and moved to newer type of amps that did not use 500 watts of power just to have the power switch on. Now my system when just in the ON position only will use single digits of power

Mind you I was using some class A beast of amps. Ones that were 100 plus lbs running in mono for each speaker and driving 4 or 6 18” subs and four Cornwall’s and a slew of side and rear speakers. All of witch were kpt-100 / 8 of them and for two channel I would use the 904’s with the kpt-484 subs
And YES my wife would see it on the power bill. Like I said this was with all class A amps
Just my 2 cents worth

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Like 1