Newbie needs advice with future choice/pick

Ted S

Hi everyone - I got rid of my nice floor standing speakers a few years back when I remodeled and put in wall / ceiling speakers. Well they are fine to watch TV - but man I sure miss listening to "good sound."  So I have decided to purchase some nice Klipsch speakers. Im leaning toward the Klipshorn - but I am worried about my room layout.

The room is about 20x30 - the speakers would be about 15 feet apart - one side - perfect corner to go in - the other side - is like a 3/4 corner - what I mean by that is one side of the corner is normal but the other side the wall sticks out only about 18" - so the speaker would stick passed the wall about 8 to 9 inches. Beyond the little 18" wall it opens to a hallway - the next wall is about 3 feet away.  Also Im wondering about acoustics. My room has NO carpet - the floor is all tile, hallway is wood. Ceilings are 9 feet high.  Also the kitchen opens up into that room- kinda like a big L - its like an open design house - one big room.

Could I put Khorns in the room or would the sound be lost and or not sound good?

I am located in the SF bay area, Livermore to be exact. I have not found a place to listen to Khorns (I havnt heard them in 25 years probably)  There is a dealer about a 2 hour drive - but he only has La Scala II on demo.  I have thought about buying a pair of used La Scala's but they are not very good looking except for the ones only a few years old. The other downside I keep reading about, a lot of people on here say if you use the La Scala's you should run a Sub with them.

The speakers would just be used for music - not hooked up to home entertainment.  More than likely I would be using a Fisher 500c to run them.

Any feed back would be appreciated.  and any info on where I could hear some Khorns - that would also be appreciated. Any members in the area that run an older set - sure would like to hear them to.

Thanks and have a great day,

Ted

2 hours ago, Ted S said:

one side of the corner is normal but the other side the wall sticks out only about 18" - so the speaker would stick passed the wall about 8 to 9 inches.

There used to be a member of the forum who had the exact same corner issue.  I visited him and saw it.  The sound was perfectly fine.  

Good luck!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ted S said:

man I sure miss listening to "good sound."

What kind of music do you listen to? 

Even though, IMO, flat frequency response is not as important as low distortion, dynamics, sensitivity, etc., and Khorns, while excelling in these three qualities, are not as smooth as some other speakers, they are pretty well balanced, bass end to treble end.  Recordings are not! 

To make up for this, expect to have to boost the bass a little when using Khorns, or other speakers without bloated bass, or to de-master your music disks (see Chris A's posts on this forum, including The Missing Octave).   Recordings of Classical music or Jazz may suffer less from imbalance than Rock, Metal, Pop etc.  The goal would be to allow the Khorns to shine, with their precision, speed and clarity, and still have enough bass.  In my set up, Blu-rays usually have good balance (that won't help you, I know), SACDs seem good (maybe) half of the time, and CDs significantly less often.  I don't attribute the better results to the technology of SACD, but because the mixers, producers, and "suits" know audiophiles will be listening.  Back when I played vinyl, there was a better success rate, but they didn't reach as low (not much below 40 Hz).  My most favored phono cartridges (some of the moving coil Ortofons) seemed to open up and intensify the bass a little.  If you have been away from "good sound" for a number of years, you may find that recordings have gone downhill a bit (except for audiophile labels -- sometimes).  Even remasters of old recordings can be worse than the old recordings themselves.

Khorns with closed backs (look up on this forum) may be a solution, but even they may sound better with that one wall extended to a 4 foot overall length (make any wall extension firm and solid).

With La Scalas, and even Khorns, a subwoofer can help with the intensity and extension of the bass, but, unless you get (or build a DIY) horn loaded subwoofer, you will not get the bass clarity of the Khorn. 

If you happen to have extra money, consider a pair of Klipsch Jubilees and a horn loaded sub

See Chris's treatment, below:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182997-an-unofficial-klipsch-jubilee-buyers-guide/&tab=comments#comment-2374191

I listen to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, others from that time frame,   Jazz, Classical, Country (not much modern country) and some modern stuff. My wife listens to that stuff with more modern music mixed in, pop, R&B etc.

The fact is, I don't even know where my old CDs are- once I put everything on the phone/MP3 thats all I listen to - and streaming of course. I have the intent to get back into records, but reading the debates on turntables is as bad as the speaker debate :)  I do need to find the best way to stream music into an old system like a Fisher 500. My wife - ALL of her music is streaming through things like Spotify. So I need to figure that out too. 

You mention the Klipschorn with the closed back (man the new ones are sure pretty) is it an easy mod for the older ones to close off the backs?

I definitely won't be able to build false corners. 

I did read your link to the Jubilees - interesting read - but man they look as tall as a sky scraper ! Khorns are def better looking.... 

I have to say I am a little worried about acoustics - due to room layout and the sound bouncing off everything - I have nothing to absorb the sound - no carpet or tapestries :)

Ted

56 minutes ago, Ted S said:

I have to say I am a little worried about acoustics - due to room layout and the sound bouncing off everything - I have nothing to absorb the sound - no carpet or tapestries :)

Does something, or someone, prevent the use of carpet, tapestries, etc.?

OBTW, welcome, good luck and keep us apprised.  With luck, a relatively local member with Klipschorns will invite you over for a listen.