Time for a new used truck - Recommendations

tigerwoodKhorns

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Dodge offers a diesel in their half tons as well.  Gets really good fuel economy put just doesn't pull loads all that great.  I'll bet the GM diesel will be similar.  Dodge uses a v6 but I like the inline 6's like the Chevy above better.  Reminds me of a baby Cummins.

I have an Airstream RV that is based on a Mercedes Sprinter.  Awesome fuel mileage and power (I can accelerate going uphill and pass cars with ease) but a European vehicle just makes me nervous, I wish it was based on a Japanese chassis.  I feel the same way about American vehicles. 

The new Chevy diesel above has 460 lbs-ft of torque @ 1500 rpm, 95% @ 1250. Coupled with their potent 10 speed auto tranny. And talk of highway epa estimates above 30 mpg. Sounds pretty strong. That kind of torque output coupled with the 10 speed should pull a load pretty well.  

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-silverado-diesel-inline-six-engine-specs-pricing/

Shoot, if it delivers a real world number of 30 mpg on the highway, that would be impressive. Full size double cab trucks are not exactly lightweights/curb weight.

24 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Dodge offers a diesel in their half tons as well.  Gets really good fuel economy put just doesn't pull loads all that great.  I'll bet the GM diesel will be similar.  Dodge uses a v6 but I like the inline 6's like the Chevy above better.  Reminds me of a baby Cummins.

I'll bet it will be a good seller.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:01 AM, polizzio said:

Funny thing, if you live in southern Louisiana or Texas, I guarantee you have probably seen this. Hispanics and Mexicans love Toyota trucks too (no doubt for their reputation and reliability). 

Several times I have seen on I-10 heading west guys towing and/or trailering, sometimes pulling with towbars two or three Toyota trucks in a convoy. I always just thought they were taking them to TX, but more likely into Mexico to sell. I lived for 35 years right along the I-10 corridor thru south Louisiana, perhaps that is why I noticed this. I also have friends who work in law enforcement (local police depts) who would stake out the Interstate and make traffic stops. Lots of illegal drugs pass this same route. The Fed government actually pays (overtime hours or direct subsidies) local depts to conduct surveillance/traffic stops on the I-10 corridor. I-12 too, another major traffic corridor, LA State Police are regulars there.

The convoys are usually well worn trucks. Either to sell, rebuild, or maybe for parts.

That is exactly what they do. It seems more popular now, but it's been going on for decades.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 8:11 AM, CECAA850 said:

From CR.

As the compact pickup from the industry’s most reliable mainstream brand, Tacoma ought to be a safe bet for 2019. However, Consumer Reports surveys revealed multiple problems since the 2016 redesign. Now in its fourth year, Tacoma landed its second consecutive below-average rating after two years among the worst small pickups.

Among the issues reported, transmission trouble might be the most worrisome for truck buyers. (Rough shifting and a slipping transmission fall under this category.) Meanwhile, drivetrain issues were also noteworthy.

One of my clients hired a number of former Toyota factory workers...... and once when I visited a construction site in west texas (big solar farm) I had the opportunity to eat supper with the construction crew, who were all former Toyota employees at the local San Antonio factory. They all seemed to be in agreement that the trucks they built were plagued with problems, one of which was the tranny. Clearly, these are not Japan's finest, because their not even from Japan. I'm not certain, but the LandCruiser may still be manufactured in Japan, but I doubt it..... because it looks too much like a Highlander now.

20 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The gas also cleans the valves as is dissolves oil and soot.  The Mass Airflow sensors would get soot from the EGR (I guess same as the valves in the direct injection engines). 

That's not the case with true Direct Injection.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a corolla  in the mid 1980s with a r22  motor , loved  that car , motor would not quit , the car was beat up brfore I got , not the motor .

I now have a 2008 Lexus gx 470 with 130k miles  and I love it even more , love the way it drives , every thing about .

Love it so much I am looking for a 2010 to 2o13 Lexus gx 460, private  sale , hopefully   red .

One for my wife and one for me 

Would say that a Honda Ridgeline may be another option to aquiring

a different vehicle, depending upon the cap. req. of cargo. For dep. A Honda or  good used Toyota... although a Chevy person... speaking of which the Avalanche. thanks

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Kidd said:

I had a corolla  in the mid 1980s with a r22  motor , loved  that car , motor would not quit , the car was beat up brfore I got , not the motor .

I had one in a truck, ran great and had good power, loved that little truck.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I think that it is time for a new used truck.  I am thinking about getting a Toyota Tundra.  I have had really good luck with Toyota products. 

Maybe a 2007 or newer.  Price, I don't know, depends on the deal. 

Adjustable pedals would be nice as I am tall and my wife is very petite. 

Any recommendations? 

A buddy is telling me to get a Chevy, but I owned several muscle cars in the past and have a Ford Ranger that I have babied and I can't get past the lack of quality in the older cars (sorry guys).  Things would have had to really change for me to get another American truck. 

I have a 2014 tundra we bought new. I love it. I have the 5.7 with the towing package. The only negative is it likes gas with those 4.30 gears.  Average about 15 mpg. 18 on the highway at 62 mph or so. Have 2002 camry with 275,000 miles and still going strong!

Edited by mr clean

21 hours ago, mr clean said:

I have a 2014 tundra we bought new. I love it. I have the 5.7 with the towing package. The only negative is it likes gas with those 4.30 gears.  Average about 15 mpg. 18 on the highway at 62 mph or so. Have 2002 camry with 275,000 miles and still going strong!

What options should I look for?  Here are a few but I do not know the packages. 

The 5.7 gets about the same mileage as the smaller V8

I like the center counsel as opposed to the fold down seat.  Is there a package that included a nicer interior? 

Back up camera

JBL Audio

Towing

Storage under seat. 

2 wheel drive

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

What options should I look for?  Here are a few but I do not know the packages. 

The 5.7 gets about the same mileage as the smaller V8

I like the center counsel as opposed to the fold down seat.  Is there a package that included a nicer interior? 

Back up camera

JBL Audio

Towing

Storage under seat. 

2 wheel drive

I got the crew cab 4x4 with the middle of the road SR5 package. The color is white. Im happy with the options but one thing I would like to have that mine does not is the electric rear window. I have sliding glass but never use it much. I love the way the 5.7 gets down the road. That 5.7 is old tech but it is bulletproof. You know what they say. There is no replacement for big displacement!  I don't get mine in the mud so I went with Nito Duragrapler 10 ply tires and love them. I tow a camper so I added air bags and slide out mirrors. The tires last forever and ride like a dream, work great in rain, and are  good in snow. I think they look great also!

image.thumb.png.6f7bcc00449c73c598b4d9324cf48df3.png    

17 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I got the crew cab 4x4 with the middle of the road SR5 package. The color is white. Im happy with the options but one thing I would like to have that mine does not is the electric rear window. I have sliding glass but never use it much. I love the way the 5.7 gets down the road. That 5.7 is old tech but it is bulletproof. You know what they say. There is no replacement for big displacement!   

Electric window is a good idea.  I can reach the window in my little truck but can't in one of these. 

I am leaning toward extended cab so that the bed is bigger and 2WD to have one less thing to break.