Time for a new used truck - Recommendations

tigerwoodKhorns

2 hours ago, Edgar said:

Yeah, we tried TQM where I worked in the late 1980s. One of the basic tenets is that everybody has the authority and responsibility to call attention to any quality problems that arise. It degenerated into management blaming anything and everything that went wrong on their subordinates.

I'm sure it wasn't the original intent, but that's the American way, I guess. We were in Ford country so we had to do those Orthogonal Arrays, but when it came down to it, the Plant already knew what they needed to control, so it was mostly political demand compliance.

10 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I think that it is time for a new used truck.  I am thinking about getting a Toyota Tundra.  I have had really good luck with Toyota products. 

Maybe a 2007 or newer.  Price, I don't know, depends on the deal. 

Adjustable pedals would be nice as I am tall and my wife is very petite. 

Any recommendations? 

A buddy is telling me to get a Chevy, but I owned several muscle cars in the past and have a Ford Ranger that I have babied and I can't get past the lack of quality in the older cars (sorry guys).  Things would have had to really change for me to get another American truck. 

Funny, the only cars & trucks I've ever owned which never required a repair were Fords.  Then again, I favor European cars so I deserve what I get, right?

ETA: Yes, generally speaking Toyotas are the best.

The stats don't lie.

1 hour ago, Archguy said:

Funny, the only cars & trucks I've ever owned which never required a repair were Fords.  Then again, I favor European cars so I deserve what I get, right?

ETA: Yes, generally speaking Toyotas are the best.

The stats don't lie.

My Ford is holding up, but not nearly as well as my Lexus.  Quality is in a different league. 

I restored a few Jaguars.  They feel like they are quality, but about as bad as it gets.  Electrical by Lucas, the inventors of darkness...

2 hours ago, mungkiman said:

First used truck - Toyota

Second used truck - Toyota

First new truck - Toyota

Too funny. The reputation built on the J models (Japanese VIN codes) continues on, except todays toyota trucks aren't even close to being as durable. The indestructible 22R is long gone. The majority of workers at the local factory here in San Antonio are not skilled craftsmen.

Hang on to that 96 LS400,...  that car won Best In It's Class 7 years straight. She'll be a collector.

Almost every time I take this truck out to the ranch, someone approaches me to ask if it's for sale. A exact twin (in pristine condition) sold for $19,000 at Mecum's Auction this past weekend. Love the 3.4L V6 and 4 speed Automatic

DSC00045.JPG

21 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Too funny. The reputation built on the J models (Japanese VIN codes) continues on, except todays toyota trucks aren't even close to being as durable. The indestructible 22R is long gone. The majority of workers at the local factory here in San Antonio are not skilled craftsmen.

Hang on to that 96 LS400,...  that car won Best In It's Class 7 years straight. She'll be a collector.

Almost every time I take this truck out to the ranch, someone approaches me to ask if it's for sale. A exact twin (in pristine condition) sold for $19,000 at Mecum's Auction this past weekend. Love the 3.4L V6 and 4 speed Automatic

DSC00045.JPG

Is it this truck?

• Like 1

Loved "Top Gear", I've watched the whole series on Killing A Toyota some time back. Those trucks were and are about as bullet proof as can be. In Africa and other countries they call'em Hilux's, and those old Hilux's can be found in the most desolate and foreboding locations. They are life savers. My favorite of favorites from Toyota are the LandCruiser pickup's, which sadly Toyota say's there's no market for them in the states,..... which is very strange considering how popular and expensive a used FJ45 sells for, in any condition.

Funny thing, if you live in southern Louisiana or Texas, I guarantee you have probably seen this. Hispanics and Mexicans love Toyota trucks too (no doubt for their reputation and reliability). 

Several times I have seen on I-10 heading west guys towing and/or trailering, sometimes pulling with towbars two or three Toyota trucks in a convoy. I always just thought they were taking them to TX, but more likely into Mexico to sell. I lived for 35 years right along the I-10 corridor thru south Louisiana, perhaps that is why I noticed this. I also have friends who work in law enforcement (local police depts) who would stake out the Interstate and make traffic stops. Lots of illegal drugs pass this same route. The Fed government actually pays (overtime hours or direct subsidies) local depts to conduct surveillance/traffic stops on the I-10 corridor. I-12 too, another major traffic corridor, LA State Police are regulars there.

The convoys are usually well worn trucks. Either to sell, rebuild, or maybe for parts.

13 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Is this because of the direct port injection and soot issues? 

From CR.

As the compact pickup from the industry’s most reliable mainstream brand, Tacoma ought to be a safe bet for 2019. However, Consumer Reports surveys revealed multiple problems since the 2016 redesign. Now in its fourth year, Tacoma landed its second consecutive below-average rating after two years among the worst small pickups.

Among the issues reported, transmission trouble might be the most worrisome for truck buyers. (Rough shifting and a slipping transmission fall under this category.) Meanwhile, drivetrain issues were also noteworthy.

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

From CR.

As the compact pickup from the industry’s most reliable mainstream brand, Tacoma ought to be a safe bet for 2019. However, Consumer Reports surveys revealed multiple problems since the 2016 redesign. Now in its fourth year, Tacoma landed its second consecutive below-average rating after two years among the worst small pickups.

Among the issues reported, transmission trouble might be the most worrisome for truck buyers. (Rough shifting and a slipping transmission fall under this category.) Meanwhile, drivetrain issues were also noteworthy.

No wonder those convoys I speak of above were pre 2016 trucks.

21 minutes ago, polizzio said:

No wonder those convoys I speak of above were pre 2016 trucks.

Yes, do your homework and look past just buying a brand.  All the manufacturers have some decent products now days but they all lay some eggs too.

• Like 1

A friend of mien said that new engines with direct port injection are having soot problems because fuel is now passing the valves, washing them as it travels by. 

The same thing happened when fuel injection first came out in mass in the early 90s.  I remember mass airflow sensors having buildup.  They called is cokeing. 

I do not plan on buying new.  I'll look at about 2015 or older.  Tacoma or Tundra?  Hmmmm...

22 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

A friend of mien said that new engines with direct port injection are having soot problems because fuel is now passing the valves, washing them as it travels by. 

The same thing happened when fuel injection first came out in mass in the early 90s.  I remember mass airflow sensors having buildup.  They called is cokeing. 

I do not plan on buying new.  I'll look at about 2015 or older.  Tacoma or Tundra?  Hmmmm...

The detergent in the fuel would clean the intake valves as the fuel air mixture passed over it on it's way to the combustion chamber.  Now there's nothing to clean is as the injector is in the combustion chamber itself ala diesel.  They do build soot and have to have the valves cleaned mechanically if drive ability issues occur.

Mass air flow sensors are between the air filter and the throttle body, that was a completely different issue.

53 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The detergent in the fuel would clean the intake valves as the fuel air mixture passed over it on it's way to the combustion chamber.  Now there's nothing to clean is as the injector is in the combustion chamber itself ala diesel.  They do build soot and have to have the valves cleaned mechanically if drive ability issues occur.

Mass air flow sensors are between the air filter and the throttle body, that was a completely different issue.

This is true, except gasoline in itself is a solvent. Top Tier fuels generally have a better additive package blended in. But the majority of our gasoline product moves via shared pipelines. And sometimes, gasoline pools are sold/traded among refiners and/or distributors. So that Shell gas station just might be selling Marathon gasoline product actually. Or Exxon Chevron product. Not all the time, but it does occur.

In carbureted or port fuel injected engines, the gasoline cleans (carries) oil from the backside of the intake valve and intake tract. The problem with DI engines is oil carryover from the PCV system and the small amount of oil passed to actually lubricate the valve stem/valve guide itself. And in DI engines the fuel never "sees" the intake valves, injected directly into combustion chamber. The workaround for that on gasoline DI engines is to install an aftermarket oil separator on the PCV hose leading into the intake tract/manifold. Chevy also has started incorporating this on some of their engines. I know on the C6 models (2016 and on) Camaros with high performance V-8 engines.

Easily 85% of the offending oil in the intake system of a DI engine is from the PCV system. There are several other factors which complicate/impact this matter too.

Oh and ethanol blending is the worst thing to occur in gasoline product streams in 40 years. Ethanol is water soluble, hydrocarbons (gasoline) are not. They never actually mix. Ethanol/water is mildly corrosive in the fuel system, especially when at rest.

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The gas also cleans the valves as is dissolves oil and soot.  The Mass Airflow sensors would get soot from the EGR (I guess same as the valves in the direct injection engines). 

29 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

The Mass Airflow sensors would get soot from the EGR (I guess same as the valves in the direct injection engines). 

MAF sensor never sees EGR gases, not even close. All they "see" or measure is intake air flow, positioned after air filter housing but before the throttle body and intake manifold.

Here's a link/drawing to help you understand: https://www.buyautoparts.com/howto/mass-air-flow-location.htm

10 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

The 2020 1/2 ton model is available with an inline 6 cylinder diesel getting 35 mph.

Dodge offers a diesel in their half tons as well.  Gets really good fuel economy put just doesn't pull loads all that great.  I'll bet the GM diesel will be similar.  Dodge uses a v6 but I like the inline 6's like the Chevy above better.  Reminds me of a baby Cummins.