New Member - speaker matching question

OC71

"Long time listener, first time caller"  I recently signed up for the forum.  I have a Dennis Had 8 watt tube amp.  The amp is currently running a vintage pair of ADS L780/2 speakers that I currently have listed on eBay.  I started searching for efficient speakers to pair with the amp and all roads led to Klipsch.  This is a great place to acquire information; there are lots of knowledgeable members.   I am in North Texas and I have been looking at Heresy, Cornwalls and La Scala.  Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.  Thanks

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.   This is a very common introduction and question.

Quite a few folks in Texas around here.  Suggest they reach out and you reach out to arrange some auditions.  Very worthwhile to hear them first, cause it just helps to hook you even more......

@CECAA850

@Thaddeus Smith

@dwilawyer

Lots of variables (we should make this a sticky):  Others please add....

Room size/dimensions, including ceiling height  (Photos are good...)

Flooring composition

Windows/doors

Rugs/Drapes/Furniture

2 channel or HT

Music preference

Volume preference spl

WAF (or not required)

Amp/Preamp

Source: Vinyl, CD, Stream, etc

Source Components

Power protection

Not interested in speaker wire or interconnects.

Other stuff......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OC71 said:

"Long time listener, first time caller"  I recently signed up for the forum.  I have a Dennis Had 8 watt tube amp.  The amp is currently running a vintage pair of ADS L780/2 speakers that I currently have listed on eBay.  I started searching for efficient speakers to pair with the amp and all roads led to Klipsch.  This is a great place to acquire information; there are lots of knowledgeable members.   I am in North Texas and I have been looking at Heresy, Cornwalls and La Scala.  Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated.  Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

• How large is your room?
  • How far away do you sit?
  • What kind of music do you like?
  • Do you like it ... Very Loud , Loud, Medium, or Low Volume?

For instance 8 watts, with a La Scala, will, in a 3000 cu ft room, will provide about 105 dB peaks at 13 feet away.   The  other speakers you listed will not.  That's my approximate prediction.  For another view, this calculator https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html predicts 108 dB  -- pretty close.  THX says that 98 dB in a room that size will sound like their full scale peaks of 105 dB (above 80 Hz) in a commercial theater or concert hall, due to early reflections.

A La Scala will need a subwoofer to cover the deepest bass.  The best, cleanest, ones are horn loaded.  Some can be DIY.

Reportedly,  the La Scala II has slightly better bass than the La Scala, due to thicker walls.

• Like 3

Welcome to the Forum first of all..  Running a pair of 81 Raw Birch LS w/Deang's Jupiter networks, Crite's tweeters w/a PrimaLuna amp and Linn turntable.  I only run 2-channel though.  Also have a pair of 81 Heresy's just for a change up.  Fun speakers but I'd jump in w/a pair of LS if I were you.  Just my opinion though.  Welcome, have faith and relax cause these guys KNOW!  Simple!  :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I'm a fan of Cornwalls and Fortes. Corns don't need a subwoofer to do full range reproduction, are not sensitive to wall locations/placement issues, and are quite efficient. 

Shopping vintage Heritage (previously owned) offers you the best bang for the price of admission, if you have the time and patience. There is a member here who maintains a spreadsheet/database of used Heritage values and sales, a great tool. His username here is wvu80, and like many here have a vast knowledge of Klipsch Heritage products. If you search his recent posts, you will find his spreadsheet, or you could message him and request it. 

Frequently guys here will post alerts of used Heritage for sale listings say from Craigslist or other venues, good deals. Also there is the classifieds here "Garage Sale".

My advice would be to read and research here on the forum, and don't hesitate to ask questions or advice. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

I'd jump in w/a pair of LS if I were you. 

since your feet are already wet... LaScalas You have some "listening" under your belt, so you have something to compare

I deprived myself of that. Went from entry level bookshelf speakers straight to LS....

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the responses.

jimjimbo - the room is a man cave over a three car garage.  It’s approximately 20’ x 30’. One half of the space is devoted to workout equipment, the rest is computer, hifi and desk.  The space is carpeted.  I listen to music at low to moderate levels.  The room is not closed off, i.e., there is a back staircase to the first floor.  The amp I am using is a Conrad.  The music sources are vinyl and streaming (a Rega 3 TT and a min Auralic mini streamer).

Thaddeus Smith - I’m located in Dallas, below 635.

Garyrc - I sit about 10’ away.  The music is low to moderate volume since the space is not closed off and you can hear what is playing in the rest of the house.  I primarily listen to classic rock.

Sancho Panza and Dave1290 - La Scala seems to rule.

polizzio - great advice.  A lot of the fun is in the hunt.

• Like 4

If you have two "nice" corners the obvious answer is Khorns, no? 20x30 is a great room but you mention other things in there. Can you use paint or some other simple program to draw a crude floor plan including windows, fixed structures, etc. Any option to close off the room for a bit more on the volume side?

So many people, including myself, have cycled through many, many Klipsch speakers (which is fun) but all roads eventually lead to Khorns if you have good corners. If corners are suspect and budget allows (or just budget allows) Jubilees are the end of the line for most. Personally I'd start with a pair of used Khorns to cut your Klipsch teeth and not jump right into the 2-way Jubilee with active DSP even if I had the cash, time and desire. After a couple of years with Khorns move to Jubilee.

If  you are looking to experiment and buy/sell speakers to get the full ride I'd say cross Heresies off the list and keep your eyes open for used Forte II, Chorus 1 or 2, LaScala  (any vintage). I'm in the minority that does not like the Cornwall as much as the others I've listed. If buying new I'd probably be looking at Forte III or current LS and eventually Khorns (if the corners are there). Going the new route and trading up I imagine would cost you a fortune, but we love to spend other peoples money around here.

Welcome and good luck!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Unfortunately, not from me any longer.  They are gone.  One pair in Indy, one pair in Chicagoland.

Oh, congrats to buyers and sellers. I thought you still had one set left.....long drive to/from TX anyway. Baseball or Debates tonight? Go Blue!

Thread crapper - OUT!

11 hours ago, OC71 said:

Thanks for all of the responses.

jimjimbo - the room is a man cave over a three car garage.  It’s approximately 20’ x 30’. One half of the space is devoted to workout equipment, the rest is computer, hifi and desk.  The space is carpeted.  I listen to music at low to moderate levels.  The room is not closed off, i.e., there is a back staircase to the first floor.  The amp I am using is a Conrad.  The music sources are vinyl and streaming (a Rega 3 TT and a min Auralic mini streamer).

Thaddeus Smith - I’m located in Dallas, below 635.

Garyrc - I sit about 10’ away.  The music is low to moderate volume since the space is not closed off and you can hear what is playing in the rest of the house.  I primarily listen to classic rock.

Sancho Panza and Dave1290 - La Scala seems to rule.

polizzio - great advice.  A lot of the fun is in the hunt.

I'm east of McKinney just a bit. I have an odd shaped room and zero room treatments, but do have a 100% digital file based music driving modified La Scalas and tapped horn subs - room issues aside, it still sounds good. Not sure what your time frame is, and I'm pretty booked up until August or so, but I'd be more than happy to have you up to the farm for a listening session.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, jimjimbo said:

Welcome to the forum.   This is a very common introduction and question.

Quite a few folks in Texas around here.  Suggest they reach out and you reach out to arrange some auditions.  Very worthwhile to hear them first, cause it just helps to hook you even more......

@CECAA850

@Thaddeus Smith

@dwilawyer

Lots of variables (we should make this a sticky):  Others please add....

Room size/dimensions, including ceiling height  (Photos are good...)

Flooring composition

Windows/doors

Rugs/Drapes/Furniture

2 channel or HT

Music preference

Volume preference spl

WAF (or not required)

Amp/Preamp

Source: Vinyl, CD, Stream, etc

Source Components

Power protection

Not interested in speaker wire or interconnects.

Other stuff......

What the heck the rest of us suppose to post now? Geez 

Welcome to the forum

3 great speakers you listed. Pretty big deferences in performance in all 3. If you like bass and refuse to use a sub cornwalls. But La Scalas with a bit of low end help from a sub put you into a class of speaker that a cornwall can never get to. Comparing the 2 big ones to heresys really isn't fair. I cant recommend them ever when the other 2 are on the same list. 

15 hours ago, polizzio said:

Welcome to the forum. I'm a fan of Cornwalls and Fortes. Corns don't need a subwoofer to do full range reproduction, are not sensitive to wall locations/placement issues, and are quite efficient. 

Shopping vintage Heritage (previously owned) offers you the best bang for the price of admission, if you have the time and patience. There is a member here who maintains a spreadsheet/database of used Heritage values and sales, a great tool. His username here is wvu80, and like many here have a vast knowledge of Klipsch Heritage products. If you search his recent posts, you will find his spreadsheet, or you could message him and request it. 

Frequently guys here will post alerts of used Heritage for sale listings say from Craigslist or other venues, good deals. Also there is the classifieds here "Garage Sale".

My advice would be to read and research here on the forum, and don't hesitate to ask questions or advice. 

+1