Shiit Loki....

SWL

4 hours ago, rjp said:

This was my experience as well with my Heresy 3's. After a while I felt they were a bit harsh on some material. I purchased the Loki as a possible remedy but for me it didn't work. I found I still heard the same harshness even when treble and some mids were cut, it was just at a lower level if that makes sense. My conclusion was that what I was hearing was a characteristic of the speakers, not simply an abundance of power at certain frequencies, i.e., spikes or hot spots. The Loki did help mask this by decreasing the volume at those frequencies, but the problem didn't go away, and then it lost some of what I love about the sound too. The dynamic crispness and realness gets cut at the same time. Thats a huge part of what I like about the speakers, and I didn't want to let that go, so I tended to stop using the Loki for that reason. I still love the H3's, I just have accepted that they will be great at some stuff and not great on other stuff, and I try to only play stuff they sound great with.

Btw, I also found that the "tissue mod" works very well, maybe even better than the Loki. It seems impossible to believe, but if you are hearing harshness try a single Kleneex tissue hanging in front of the mid horn (maybe tweets as well). Huge difference instantly, and with less impact on dynamics. I still like the H3's best with no alterations, but this is something so easy to try and you may like it. Just one tissue, and a tiny piece of tape is all you need.

I was doing this I hate to admit with the tissue, and it did work. You will get some chuckles on here for saying it  After I got the Loki, I was afraid I would get Schiit on the Tissue. I like the Loki better.

• Like 1

This morning I got a chance to try the Loki on it's own vs being teamed up with the DEQ2496 digital PEQ.

No comparison. The DEQ walks all over it as far as sound quality. I'll continue to use both of them together, though. For whatever reason.....and I don't know why.....the DEQ EQing in the digital domain and the Loki EQing the analog side of things just works. Like they were meant to be used together.

I'll also note that when I'm EQing in the digital domain with my solid state gear I still use the analog tone controls on the preamp sparingly like I do with the Loki.....only the Loki does it much better.

I'm sure someone will come along and say this probably doesn't make any sense but I'm just going by how it sounds to me and I'm really digging it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think I know why a lot of people don't like eq. Eq makes it too easy to buy equipment and be satisfied with the way it sounds, That way the spending never stops, and the fun of running new gear is never ending. I am using a pair of Audio-Technica Ath-m40  headphones at the moment and they sound nice to me but they are a fuzz bright on the highs and a fuzz low on the bass. In a few seconds its fixed. If I didn't have the eq I could have the fun of going online and either get some new headphones, or some new tube headphone amplification after looking at reviews for a few weeks. And then I get the fun of telling people online what I got and how much better it is over what I had.  Im sure the people that make gear hate eq also thinking without it people spend more. This is just my take. I usually buy gear and listen to it for years until I think gear has improved enough to upgrade some things. The non eq group has more fun but I just like music. If buying new gear is your hobby I get that.  Also with eq if I just want some background music and get an old school almost cone tweeter sound thats alittle dull in the highs I can. Its about like having multi  speakers inline that I never have to change. Im done now and some of you are most likely happy about it lol! 

4 hours ago, mr clean said:

Eq makes it too easy to buy equipment and be satisfied with the way it sounds, That way the spending never stops, and the fun of running new gear is never ending.

Let the neverending tweaking begin!

• Like 2