Need: KLF-20 info / light Oak color

Hey guys,

I am refurbing a newly acquired pair of KLF-20's in the light oak finish. I will be stripping the finish and re-staining.  Does any know what the factory used as far as color and type of finish?

The top coat satin finish does not appear to be a lacquer but more of a polyurethane? 

I tried a test spot with lacquer thinner and it barely touched the finish. Any recommendations on a solvent or stripper to remove factory finish?

Thanks in advance.

crunchman

Why not apply 2 or three coats of boiled linseed oil let that set a week or two (best if you apply the first coat thinned 50%) and top coat with a clear poly or if you want more golden highlights some clear varnish till you are happy then top coat with clear poly. This all works on bring out the natural colour of the wood and not in shifting it to be different from what it was meant to be.

13 hours ago, moray james said:

Why not apply 2 or three coats of boiled linseed oil let that set a week or two (best if you apply the first coat thinned 50%) and top coat with a clear poly or if you want more golden highlights some clear varnish till you are happy then top coat with clear poly. This all works on bring out the natural colour of the wood and not in shifting it to be different from what it was meant to be.

Hi moray james,

Do you know if the boiled linseed oil is what the factory used for the light Oak color? I would like it to match the Light Oak color so when I sell them, it matches with someones other speakers.

Thank you for your reply.

crunchman

12 hours ago, crunchman12001 said:

Hi moray james,

Do you know if the boiled linseed oil is what the factory used for the light Oak color? I would like it to match the Light Oak color so when I sell them, it matches with someones other speakers.

Thank you for your reply.

crunchman

Linseed oil is the least expensive oil finish you can get so it is likely what they used but I cannot say for sure and they may or may have not added any tint or stain. I cannot give you an answer. you can do comparisons on the bottom of the cabinets to see how your color matches as the bottom of the cabinet will have had the least exposure to UV and will be closest to the actual factory colour. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, moray james said:

Linseed oil is the least expensive oil finish you can get so it is likely what they used but I cannot say for sure and they may or may have not added any tint or stain. I cannot give you an answer. you can do comparisons on the bottom of the cabinets to see how your color matches as the bottom of the cabinet will have had the least exposure to UV and will be closest to the actual factory colour. Hope this helps.

Thanks morey james,

I wrote to Klipsch customer support and this is what they said.

"Hi, 
We do not have the color/brand of stain documented down, so we would not be able to give that information out."

I will continue to search for what Klipsch used. I am not sure it would be an "oil finish" as the colors available were Light Oak, Medium Oak, Black Satin, Mahogany. I will most likely go with a natural color stain as the Oak is very light and top coat with a Satin lacquer. See pic below.

Thanks again,

crunchman

KIMG0580.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Customer service agent Liam dug a little deeper and this was his reply.

HI,

" That was a wiping Stain that we purchase from Valspar a long time ago. It was Custom made for our product. Valspar is no longer our paint supplier so if you are looking to change or match that color you best bet would be to find someone close that could try and match.  There is a sealer coat and two coats of lacquer  .  That could be  scuffed and another coat applied without messing will the color on the stain."

That is all the information that we have.

I will try a Natural color or Golden Oak, sanding sealer and 3 or 4 coats of Satin Lacquer. Update pics to come.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
On 7/1/2019 at 4:17 AM, crunchman12001 said:

Do you know if the boiled linseed oil is what the factory used for the light Oak color?

There were at least 2 different finishes on top of whatever stain was used. I have a couple sets of Forte 2's, one is OO= Oak oil the other is OC= Oak clear.

But one thing I have found over time the Oak tends to slightly yellow and darken over time, it makes no difference if it's oiled of a clear finish. They are almost exactly the same color as those pictures

I think you will just have to experiment, as someone said maybe on the bottom.

Good luck

Below..........

This is Oak plywood stained light Oak with just oil on top of that.  The smaller speaker on the top right is a 30+ year old factory Oak finish on a Forte, slightly darker than the 10 year old wood underneath. 

mwm '.jpg

2 hours ago, dtel said:

There were at least 2 different finishes on top of whatever stain was used. I have a couple sets of Forte 2's, one is OO= Oak oil the other is OC= Oak clear.

But one thing I have found over time the Oak tends to slightly yellow and darken over time, it makes no difference if it's oiled of a clear finish. They are almost exactly the same color as those pictures

I think you will just have to experiment, as someone said maybe on the bottom.

Good luck

Below..........

This is Oak plywood stained light Oak with just oil on top of that.  The smaller speaker on the top right is a 30+ year old factory Oak finish on a Forte, slightly darker than the 10 year old wood underneath. 

mwm '.jpg

Hi dtel,

Thank you for your reply,

The above post was a follow up to my original questions regarding the Light Oak color.

The two pics above your post shows the original "before pic" and my refinished "after pic". The color turned out very close using Varathane Summer Oak., followed by 2 coats of Behlen "Jet spray" Satin Lacquer. I wanted to follow up so others could match the color if they decide to refurbish their speakers. This follow up will allow it to be found when searching here.

Thanks again,

crunchman