K402's arrived.......

Ziggurat

Hi all.

I went to the trucking depot today and picked up my K402 horns.  It has been a long journey for them - coming from China all the way to NZ - and a long wait for me.  I ordered the HF versions for my 2-way build (details of which are as-yet undecided).  

I can't find a date of manufacture on them, but the are fitted with K1132 drivers - suggesting they are old stock.  I thought they would be arriving with K691 compression drivers.  Not the end of the world, I guess - I will probably track down some Beryllium drivers at some point. 

How do the 1132's compare to K691's?

With thanks.

• Like 3

Some pics..

I told my work mates I was going to pick up my new tweeters.... 

Temporary home atop my Altec 19's - running instead of the Altec Driver and 811b horn.... obviously just plugged in and played. Interesting experiment!. Will report back as I make more observations....

These things are fricken huge!

IMG-20190627-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20190627-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20190627-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20190627-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20190627-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20190627-WA0020.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

I can't find a date of manufacture on them, but the are fitted with K1132 drivers - suggesting they are old stock.  I thought they would be arriving with K691 compression drivers.  Not the end of the world, I guess - I will probably track down some Beryllium drivers at some point. 

Congrats on your acquisition (and patience!)

The 1132 doesn't mean they're old stock....  what I'm guessing it means is either the wrong SKU (part number) was ordered or, the wrong one was shipped.  As I understand, Klipsch has a unique SKU number for the K402/K691 assenbly.

The 1132 IS used in a commercial 2-way (as I understand) but for residential use, the K691 is WAY more sufficient and might go higher.

So unless I miss my guess.....how's it feel to be the first person in NZ to have a pair!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

These things are fricken huge!

IMG-20190627-WA0020.jpg

Yeah....  much like the LaScala..you're tweeter is larger than your entire speaker.....how are you going to explain that to your friends?!!  :emotion-19:

20 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Congrats on your acquisition (and patience!)

The 1132 doesn't mean they're old stock....  what I'm guessing it means is either the wrong SKU (part number) was ordered or, the wrong one was shipped.  As I understand, Klipsch has a unique SKU number for the K402/K691 assenbly.

The 1132 IS used in a commercial 2-way (as I understand) but for residential use, the K691 is WAY more sufficient and might go higher.

So unless I miss my guess.....how's it feel to be the first person in NZ to have a pair!!

Oh, that is interesting. Man it is hard to work this stuff out.. I thought I was on the right track with the order I placed. Maybe not. Not to worry. The K402's themselves were what I wanted - I figured I could sort drivers at a later stage.

I was thinking of the Faital HF200 or even Radian beryllium offerings maybe...

I'm listening to them now. There is no doubt the horn itself is spectacular, but I am noticing a bit of rawness to the driver.  Of course nothing is eq'd or set up beyond hooking into he Altec network. 

On some tracks I've played, they destroy the Altec gear, however there is a 'golden, glowing, lively warmth' to the 19's mid-range that is lacking with the 1332's. No surprises there, the Altecs had years of development - the system I'm running at the moment had 10 minutes!

Just finished listening to Leonard Cohen's song "Treaty". I felt like the artist was back from the dead, standing 5 feet in front of me performing live in my lounge..... I hope to build on that!! Awesome.

Yep, feels great to know that there is some more Klipsch goodness in Godzone. 🙂

Cheers Richard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I never thought I would ever again see a K-402 on top of an Altec Model 19, I did it a few years ago, very cool!!! Once I got jube type bass bins, the Model 19s were sold very quickly. Thanks again to all, Jubilees are just incredible. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

Hi all.

I went to the trucking depot today and picked up my K402 horns.  It has been a long journey for them - coming from China all the way to NZ - and a long wait for me.  I ordered the HF versions for my 2-way build (details of which are as-yet undecided).  

With thanks.

The 1132's ARE the current two way system drivers and if you look at the Cinema line you will see that. I have 1132's on 402's for my two way system and they are stellar performers. You are going to have to go the electronic crossover DSP bi-amp route to make them really sing though. Those are most definitely not old stock.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave A said:
13 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

The 1132's ARE the current two way system drivers and if you look at the Cinema line you will see that

But, isn't that for commercial use?"  For residential use, Roy swapped things out to use the "tweeter" (K510) driver.

Years ago, I'd get a bit wordy....(who, me wordy?!)  and try to describe it to people.

What Klipsch did was take the 3-way Jubilee....  drop the tweeter horn and the midrange driver.  They then moved the tweeter driver and put it onto the midrange horn.

There will be a test in 15 minutes!

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

You are going to have to go the electronic crossover DSP bi-amp route to make them really sing though

I"d personally agree with this but it seems there are some passive designs out there now??  (used to be for the original K69 driver, I don't know about the K691)

• Like 1

Coytee the only current info I find shows three way Jubilees so maybe the two way is not an option anymore. The three way shows a 402 and 510 horn set on top. Two way was an option not to long ago though.

A passive crossover on my MCM1900 bass bins and 402 horn did sound really good so yes they will work but not as well as actives.

7 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

Congratulations.

I suspect the HF drivers will behave a bit better after some houres of playing. At least few poeple reported such behaviour with new drivers, so this might be the case here.

How long have you been waiting for horns to arrive?

Yes, I am sure they will break in - I noticed an improvement over the course of the evening.

I had been waiting approximately 8 weeks for them to arrive.  I was quite nervous that they would be damaged or lost - quite a large investment in the scheme of things for me - in fact, the most expensive audio kit I have purchased.  Such is the faith y'all have instilled in me regarding their performance!

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

The 1132's ARE the current two way system drivers and if you look at the Cinema line you will see that. I have 1132's on 402's for my two way system and they are stellar performers. You are going to have to go the electronic crossover DSP bi-amp route to make them really sing though. Those are most definitely not old stock.

I have a Xilica on the way - so that will really kick the journey off.  I had spent a lot of time considering passive vs. active for these.  In the end, the Xilica gives me the potential to try different cabinet designs - 'future-proofing' if I need to downsize, move houses, whatever.  I could do anything from a large horn setup to something like Chris's MEH horns, should the situation/whim dictate.

My current favorite design for the LF is the Decware Imperial - which fits nicely in my room (!) and has the added advantage of being compatible (temporarily at least) with the Altec 19 416 drivers.... 

Ultimately, I am going to let this be a project that changes and develops organically along the way - I want for the gear to steer me.  I knew I wanted 402's so that is the start-point.  I have a lot to learn about sound, active xo's, room acoustics etc.