KLF 20 vs KG 5.5

I've owned my 5.5's since '97, purchased new.  I would stick with the 20's.  I had a pair of Heresy II's for about a year and sold them recently.  What I wanted from the HII's was the 'presence' of the 5.5.  The one thing I liked about the HII's was the midrange horn.  The mid horn crushed the mid of the 5.5's.  To me, the KLF series would be the way I'd want to go.  To bad Klipsch won't recreate the KLF series versus the RF-7 2 way series.  I think they could make a phenomenal 3 way with DR supported bass.  I'd be interested.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Think. You are on it with your observations.cool...neat that it is not an obvious choice...

30 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

I've owned my 5.5's since '97, purchased new.  I would stick with the 20's.  I had a pair of Heresy II's for about a year and sold them recently.  What I wanted from the HII's was the 'presence' of the 5.5.  The one thing I liked about the HII's was the midrange horn.  The mid horn crushed the mid of the 5.5's.  To me, the KLF series would be the way I'd want to go.  To bad Klipsch won't recreate the KLF series versus the RF-7 2 way series.  I think they could make a phenomenal 3 way with DR supported bass.  I'd be interested.

Cool

• 3 weeks later...

I just sold my KLF20s to an owner of KLF30s..   I got them 3 years ago.. sadly they just sounded dead compared to my Heresy (1)   I posted this previously trying to find out if anything was wrong with them , recapped and all.   Anyway. Dunno why people are raving about the KLF20s.   Maybe my room acoustics. 

• Sad 1

I just sold my KLF20s to an owner of KLF30s..   I got them 3 years ago.. sadly they just sounded dead compared to my Heresy (1)   I posted this previously trying to find out if anything was wrong with them , recapped and all.   Anyway. Dunno why people are raving about the KLF20s.   Maybe my room acoustics. 

KLF's sounding "dead" isn't a typical descrption of their sound. Heresy's sounding "bright" (and most other Klipsch) is a typical comment. Lot of things to investigate with the aging Klipsch models but if they sound 'dead' my guess is that something certainly is off.....somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 1:44 AM, ACV92 said:

Forte III

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:53 AM, SWL said:

KLF's sounding "dead" isn't a typical descrption of their sound. Heresy's sounding "bright" (and most other Klipsch) is a typical comment. Lot of things to investigate with the aging Klipsch models but if they sound 'dead' my guess is that something certainly is off.....somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your comment on the Heresy is likely why the KLF20 sounded dead unless there truly was something wrong with them.

When you have a speaker that is more strident, it may sound better.  It was like I remember when I was A  LOT younger, walking into a store and the first thing the sales person did was turn the bass and treble way up.  After a while you realize what is more right/correct as your ears get "unused to" a sound such as a more flat representation.  Lots of folks like more tilted up treble.  Look at most Klipsch frequency responses.  More alive though usually more fatiguing and less neutral. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/13/2019 at 9:03 AM, efzauner said:

KLF was is more balanced. 

It all goes to your likes such as listening with tone controls on and tilting up the bass or treble.

its personal preference really as to which is better, some like a 3 way & "hot" mids,  some like a more toned down 2 way.  i know lots of the bigger 3 way klipsch can be very unbalanced with overpowering mids & people do all kinds of "upgrades" & mods to adress that issue.   

& dont forget, some of the best speakers klipsch makes are 2 ways... epics, jubilee, & some of the pro & KPT models.  for many speakers, a 2 way will be a higher quality mid/tweet because they put more of the budget into the 2 speakers vs dividing it up into 3 speakers/drivers/horns.  that really applies to car audio too, a 2 way 6.5" or 6x9" speaker is usually better than a 3 or 4 way, at the same price point of course. 

i dont know the difference in the drivers or diaphram materials between the klf & kg so the 2 way vs 3 way comments i made may not apply here, just something to consider.