WTB Forte II, Possible Quartets- anywhere between Raleigh - Knoxville

Biscuit

My brother-in-law just spent a week with us and after listening to upgraded Klipsch Chorus IIs all week long on vintange Sansui and Marantz gear, he has gotten the bug and is looking to acquire that sound for himself. I told him to find Quartets or Fortes first as, Chorus are both larger and more expensive than he wants to start with.  I live in Raleigh and can drive ~ 150 miles to get them, and he lives in Knoxville and can do the same.  

Crited or not would be fine; if they aren't, he will do so.

As an aside, he is also looking for a Sansui 5000x or 7070. Doesn't have to be recapped, but must work with clean faceplates and minimal marring to cases. 

If you have or know of some, please let me know!

Also, just a question.  How would KG4's compare in sound quality to Forte II's?  Similar? 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

How would KG4's compare in sound quality to Forte II's?  Similar?

Haha ... know I'll catch hell for this, but I think the KG4's are "pretty" good - especially for someone who is just starting with this hobby. (I had KG4's in my small stereo room and replaced them with Forte's ... yes, a bit better, but not night & day. But, not a Forte fan ... replaced them with CF-3's and yes; now it is a big difference.)

Re the amp ... if he just wants to "try" something (and probably upgrade later - which is the fun part of this hobby) I suggest a Yamaha CR-620 or 820. Lots of those around for $100-$200. :D  (Have a 620 on my rear Cornwall's - very good sound.)  And ... KG4's are $200-$300.  Haha; he can get started for $300-$500. AFTER that he can spend big money on Mac amps and Khorns.  Just my thoughts :D 

Cheers, Emile  

Add-on ... the KG4's will require Bob Crites' Ti diaphragm upgrade

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha ... know I'll catch hell for this, but I think the KG4's are "pretty" good - especially for someone who is just starting with this hobby. (I had KG4's in my small stereo room and replaced them with Forte's ... yes, a bit better, but not night & day. But, not a Forte fan ... replaced them with CF-3's and yes; now it is a big difference.)

Re the amp ... if he just wants to "try" something (and probably upgrade later - which is the fun part of this hobby) I suggest a Yamaha CR-620 or 820. Lots of those around for $100-$200. :D  (Have a 620 on my rear Cornwall's - very good sound.)  And ... KG4's are $200-$300.  Haha; he can get started for $300-$500. AFTER that he can spend big money on Mac amps and Khorns.  Just my thoughts :D 

Cheers, Emile  

Add-on ... the KG4's will require Bob Crites' Ti diaphragm upgrade

That is kind of what I was thinking about the KG4's. Both on the upgrade and as a "good starter option." Very nice to get confirmation :)

I'm looking to sell a CR2020, it doesn't seem rich enough to my ears for my Chorus IIs.  And apparently it is so much effort to recap that it has to be your ultimate item to do so. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biscuit said:

That is kind of what I was thinking about the KG4's. Both on the upgrade and as a "good starter option." Very nice to get confirmation :)

I'm looking to sell a CR2020, it doesn't seem rich enough to my ears for my Chorus IIs

Yes; great "starter" speaker ... until ... :D 

Never had a CR-2020, but thought it was one of their best models.  But, at "only" 105wpc it may not be enough for your Chorus speakers.  Do not know the power rating for the Chorus, but since the have the same PRO woofers as my KPT-904's, I would guess 250W.  Had a Marantz 1060 (30wpc) on my (250W) CF-3's ... sounded excellent, but upgraded to a Kenwood Basic M2 amp (220wpc) and it definitely is an improvement :D  Tighter bass and better definition ... and, haha, can crank it up to 120dB's :) 

"- High frequencies arereproduced cleanly, clearly,and naturally, thanks to thetweeter horn/driver assemblydesigned by KLIPSCH. You'llnote effortless reproduction ofthe dynamics found in compactdiscs and other high dynamicsources. Frequency and polarresponse have unblemishedsmoothness.1'--vie,.~ Midrange frequenciesare the most prevalent inmusic and the most criticalconcern in loudspeaker design.The CHORUS II features thenew tractrix hybrid midrangehorn from KLIPSCH. Thisvery special horn is uncannyin its ability to deliver thecountless inner details ofcomplex musical passages.The resulting sound stage hastremendous width, depth, andstability.-.- The cabinet exterior ofthe KLIPSCH CHORUS IIprovides immediate evidenceof construction quality. Thiscabinet is meticulously craftedfrom your selection of gen4inewood veneers. Each pair ismatched for color and grainstructure of the wood, thenhand finished to a rich andlasting luster.--- KLIPSCH has long beennoted for refinements incrossover networks. Thiscrossover network utilizesspecial circuit boards, printedwith extremely wide signalpaths. The signal paths arereduced in length by buildingthe crossover network inconjunction with the systeminput panel. This design reducespower loss from your amplifierand gives you higher system ("sensitivity. \..(.,(~(, .,\'AI~,/~- Form follows functionwith this beautiful wooden riserbase. A standard part of everyCHORUS II, the riser baseprovides further elegance tothe cabinet appearance whileoptimizing bass response byproperly coupling the woofersection to the floor.For powerful and undis-tofted bass response, thewoofer of the CHORUS II isdriven by a 96 ounce (2.72 kg)magnet, approximately triplethe weight of a typical woofermagnet. A massive 15" (38 cm)in size, this woofer works inconjunction with a rear-mounted sub-bass radiator toextend bass response downwardto a room-trembling 39 Hz."/; The powerful, well-extended bass response ofthe CHORUS II is due, in part,to this rear-mounted sub-bassradiator. Measuring 15" (38 cm)in diameter, the sub-bass radiatoroperates on internal acousticpressure generated by the woofer.Specifications:BANDWIDTH: 39 Hz-20 kHz:t 3 dBSENSITIVITY: 101 dB SPL,one watt one meterNOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8,0POWER HANDLING:100 watts continuous(1,000 watt peaks)---20 50 100 200 500 1K 2K 5K 10K 20KOn.axis frequency response measured under anechoic conditionsat a distance of one meter. Zero equals 100 dB.ENCLOSURE TYPE: Ventedbox (via sub-bass radiator),three-way systemDRIVE COMPONENTS:K- 79-K tweeterK-61-K midrangeK-48-E wooferKD-16 sub-bass radiatorWEIGHT: 891bs. (40.4 kg)DIMENSIONS:Height: 39" (99.1 cm)Width: 18-1/2" (47 cm)Depth: 15-1/2" (39.4 cm)

• Like 1

Hey Biscuit, 

I’m actually working in Raleigh right now and I always keep an eye on cl when I travel. There is a few Marantz receivers in Raleigh right now. Really nice looking 2235 with wood cabinet. I think it would be quite nice with fortes or heresys, maybe a bit light on power for kgs tho. Seen some Sansui receivers around Knoxville. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 8:58 PM, Madman1 said:

Hey Biscuit, 

I’m actually working in Raleigh right now and I always keep an eye on cl when I travel. There is a few Marantz receivers in Raleigh right now. Really nice looking 2235 with wood cabinet. I think it would be quite nice with fortes or heresys, maybe a bit light on power for kgs tho. Seen some Sansui receivers around Knoxville. 

I missed this!  Thanks @Madman1  Please do keep me in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are still looking I have near perfect Forte II. Original owner, with original boxes and some paperwork/glossy adverts. I'm not really in your Raleigh-Knoxville range but on the east coast north of Baltimore close enough to D.C. and Philly. If interested and your travels bring you close by let me know via PM. I'm not actively selling but would like to see them land in a good home that would appreciate and love them like I have. Lots of sentimental value, but never use them anymore.

12 hours ago, rplace said:

If you are still looking I have near perfect Forte II. Original owner, with original boxes and some paperwork/glossy adverts. I'm not really in your Raleigh-Knoxville range but on the east coast north of Baltimore close enough to D.C. and Philly. If interested and your travels bring you close by let me know via PM. I'm not actively selling but would like to see them land in a good home that would appreciate and love them like I have. Lots of sentimental value, but never use them anymore.

That is hard to pass up!  If I head north anytime in the future, I'll send you a PM!

• Like 1