Opinions on Crites Cornscalas

OC71

Newbie question.  There are two pair of Crites Cornscalas for sale near me.  One pair has CT125 tweeters and the other has Eliptrac tweeters.  My (oversimplified) understanding is that the design attempts to bring together the best of the La Scalas (give up low bass for efficiency) and Cornwall (give up efficiency for bass).  The asking prices are $1,200 for the pair with CT125 tweeters and $1,400 for the other pair.  I have no idea is those prices make sense or not.  How do Klipsch purists feel about these speakers?  Do they fulfill their design objective?

Personally, if all of the other components/drivers are the same, build quality the same, cosmetics the same, I would likely prefer the pair with the Eliptrac tweeters.  But yes, Moray is right, listen to both.  Listen to the same material if possible.  Please report back.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Listen carefully to the smoothness and realism of the treble and midange as well as the bass.  You may not agree with the standard views and wisdom expounded here.  I usually favor Klipsch engineered equipment combos.   Larry

• Like 2

Resale price is what I would worry about.  They are not Klipsch or a brand manufacturer.  They are, as most home built speakers, made to keep forever.  Key is what is the sum of the parts?

With that, if you are happy with the sound and appreciate the quality for the price, you should grab them if you are not going to resell them.  Non-name brand recognition can make resale a pain.  My 2 cents since I have several pairs of home built speakers I have put on CL with very high end components.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, OC71 said:

Newbie question.  There are two pair of Crites Cornscalas for sale near me.  One pair has CT125 tweeters and the other has Eliptrac tweeters.  My (oversimplified) understanding is that the design attempts to bring together the best of the La Scalas (give up low bass for efficiency) and Cornwall (give up efficiency for bass).  The asking prices are $1,200 for the pair with CT125 tweeters and $1,400 for the other pair.  I have no idea is those prices make sense or not.  How do Klipsch purists feel about these speakers?  Do they fulfill their design objective?

do you have a full parts break down for each system including crossover parts? $1400.00 is around what folks will pay for a very good condition CW and these are likely full of after market parts. Anyone looking to an after market modified speaker like this is going to be aware of the going prices and no there will not be as may possible buyers in this market as there are in the market for stock speakers. But if you plan o buying a stock CW and then upgrading what's the difference? If you are getting into upgrading you are doing so because you cannot find what you want in a stock product at the price you want. So getting into custom speakers and then talking about resale to me says you might be confused about what it is you are really after. All the more reason to check out both speakers it is a great opportunity to see what they do. You did not say but if you have not listened to a stock CW or CWll you should also do that before you check out the custom speakers so you have a reality check on how the two compare. I am going to guess that the custom speakers will sound very good. There may be members here who are close to you who own CW and would be happy to have you over for a listen all you need to do is ask. Even if you have to put in a bit of a drive the experience will be of great valuable to you from both a learning point of view and with meeting a new friend who shares your interests.

My name is Moray James but if I had the dough "money" would be just fine. What drivers and network parts are being used (this will greatly impact the value of these speakers)? Are these Crites supplied Cornscala A parts and what age? Just recently a member at the forum bought a pair of KLF20 which had upgraded networks and he switched back to the stock networks after someone had told him the non factory networks were junk. Turns out the upgraded networks followed the factory schematic and they had $350.00 worth of parts in them, all of them high quality parts far far and away much better than the stock parts. So these speakers you are considering probably represent good value at the asking prices and even more so if you can negotiate a lower sale price. As to resale it is not wise to purchase speakers like these with a mind to resale value unless you can find them at well below fair market value which will vary from location to location, so you would have to be prepared to ship if you wanted to obtain the best possible sale price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moray james said:

My name is Moray James but if I had the dough "money" would be just fine. What drivers and network parts are being used (this will greatly impact the value of these speakers)? Are these Crites supplied Cornscala A parts and what age? Just recently a member at the forum bought a pair of KLF20 which had upgraded networks and he switched back to the stock networks after someone had told him the non factory networks were junk. Turns out the upgraded networks followed the factory schematic and they had $350.00 worth of parts in them, all of them high quality parts far far and away much better than the stock parts. So these speakers you are considering probably represent good value at the asking prices and even more so if you can negotiate a lower sale price. As to resale it is not wise to purchase speakers like these with a mind to resale value unless you can find them at well below fair market value which will vary from location to location, so you would have to be prepared to ship if you wanted to obtain the best possible sale price.

Exactly, or keep them forever.  You have to love them.

• Like 1

I owned 2 pairs of Cornscala B and loved them, for 2k a pair I haven't seen a better value anywhere. Drop in some k48 woofers and they are even better. 

I wouldn't worry to much about resale. I sold both pairs of my Cornscala's for a few hundred less than what I paid. I regret selling them even though I have Jubilee's, kp600's and mwm's. The Cornscala's just sounded fantastic with all of my music. 

20170404_193537.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Md5150 said:

I owned 2 pairs of Cornscala B and loved them, for 2k a pair I haven't seen a better value anywhere. Drop in some k48 woofers and they are even better. 

I wouldn't worry to much about resale. I sold both pairs of my Cornscala's for a few hundred less than what I paid. I regret selling them even though I have Jubilee's, kp600's and mwm's. The Cornscala's just sounded fantastic with all of my music. 

20170404_193537.jpg

That's precisely it, what is a Cornscala?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

That's precisely it, what is a Cornscala?

Might depend on who you speak with.  Though I'm sure they sound good, if I may quote my recollection of what Al K. used to say....  rather than being the best of both speakers, it was the worst of both speakers.

It has the DR of the Cornwall verses the lessor distortion of the LaScala and (in original trim) it has the K400 that the LaScala has.  Something I don't think he was terribly fond of (??)

If I were go get a pair, I'd want to try the 2-way version (now that I know what I know about 2 vs 3 way)...

Regarding the picture of them in the image above....  small buggers, aren't they?!!!