Opinions on Crites Cornscalas

OC71

1 minute ago, Coytee said:

Might depend on who you speak with.  Though I'm sure they sound good, if I may quote my recollection of what Al K. used to say....  rather than being the best of both speakers, it was the worst of both speakers.

It has the DR of the Cornwall verses the lessor distortion of the LaScala and (in original trim) it has the K400 that the LaScala has.  Something I don't think he was terribly fond of (??)

If I were go get a pair, I'd want to try the 2-way version (now that I know what I know about 2 vs 3 way)...

Regarding the picture of them in the image above....  small buggers, aren't they?!!!

You made my point.  Cornscala originally was a way to use your old k400/401 since you updated to a newer tractrix horn in La Scalas or K-horns.  From there it just became a conglomeration of parts with a 15" woofer, hopefully with a crossover that is actually tuned and eq'd for the drivers.  Key is optimizing the expensive drivers.  Not exactly a flat pack and assemble when you get to pick the parts.

I am not trying to disparage though there is lots of room for getting the last 25% of what you pay for with the drivers, horns, woofers and box tuning if you know what you are doing.  That's why my point about resale.  It is truly the sum of the parts.  You have to listen to them and do a good job going through them to be sure they fulfill your requirements since they will likely not be an easy sale except for maybe on this forum.  My 2 cents again but.....  Go listen and decide.  Buy them and enjoy them if they float your boat.

20 hours ago, LarryC said:

Listen carefully to the smoothness and realism of the treble and midange as well as the bass.  You may not agree with the standard views and wisdom expounded here.  I usually favor Klipsch engineered equipment combos.   Larry

Good to hear from you Larry.

WMcD

• Like 1

If they can be purchased for 50% or so of the parts from Bob since they are used. (Bob provides and engineers some quality parts) and you have the knowledge and ability to tweak the crossovers since that is the heart of the speaker (as LarryC said - engineered), they would be a fun project.

I agree the name "Corn-Scala" was intended for the original version using the Cornwall box and woofer mated with the La Scala upper section keeping them basically Klipsch speakers.

It would seem once you deviate from the La Scala upper the name is no longer valid except for easy recognition most people here immediately know generally speaking what a Corn-Scala is and that there are at least a few variations. 

Maybe "Crites Cornwall" style "A" or "B" etc would be a more appropriate name for all of his versions that have deviated from the original work.

As a side note I find it interesting that Crites comes up with a design to replace the smaller horn in the Cornwall using the k-400 (which are fairly hard to come by) and then has manufactured the same horns his design was meant to replace but not the original horn needed to replace those horns?? 

On 6/28/2019 at 4:32 PM, pzannucci said:

That's precisely it, what is a Cornscala?

Well, it's whatever Bob says it is. It started out as one thing, and evolved into multiple, and quite poplular designs. If one is curious about the different configurations, all it takes is a visit to his website.

Someone said it's not "a brand". I don't agree with that. He may run a small shop, but he's pretty well known.

That shop builds a nice box. Bob chooses drivers that are linear in their behavior and don't require much if anything in the way of correction - very much in the spirit of vintage Klipsch. 

From the pics, all of the parts look like they were bought from Critespeakers - including the network. I think the asking price(s) sound fair, and they probably sound great.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Deang said:

Well, it's whatever Bob says it is. It started out as one thing, and evolved into multiple, and quite poplular designs. If one is curious about the different configurations, all it takes is a visit to his website.

Someone said it's not "a brand". I don't agree with that. He may run a small shop, but he's pretty well known.

That shop builds a nice box. Bob chooses drivers that are linear in their behavior and don't require much if anything in the way of correction - very much in the spirit of vintage Klipsch. 

From the pics, all of the parts look like they were bought from Critespeakers - including the network. I think the asking price(s) sound fair, and they probably sound great.

Exactly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deang said:

Problem is you need to figure out what it is, have the knowledge behind it, and think about it down the road.  Doesn't turn into something that is that simplistic to understand how they sound and figure out how much they are worth unless you are connected.

Again nothing wrong with it but I myself would need to think hard unless I really wanted the configuration they were at a price and hmm, finish, that can comprehend.  Yes that's why you go look at them but be careful and don't over pay thinking you can just resell them again.

I listened to them this weekend and I was impressed (but what do I know).  They are the style A and were built (cabs and all) by Crites. I think it might be premature for me to jump on these.  

20 hours ago, OC71 said:

I listened to them this weekend and I was impressed (but what do I know).  They are the style A and were built (cabs and all) by Crites. I think it might be premature for me to jump on these.  

well if you don't know what you like then what's to do? I think it is fair though to say that CW ll in good shape (and with MDF cabinets) go for this kind of money and I think it is also fair to say that assuming all is good the Crites speakers (in birch ply) and with larger horn and better parts everywhere will easily out shine a CW ll. So give it some thought and remember if you snooze you loose.

• Like 4

On 6/30/2019 at 9:28 PM, moray james said:

well if you don't know what you like then what's to do? I think it is fair though to say that CW ll in good shape (and with MDF cabinets) go for this kind of money and I think it is also fair to say that assuming all is good the Crites speakers (in birch ply) and with larger horn and better parts everywhere will easily out shine a CW ll. So give it some thought and remember if you snooze you loose.

+1 

Type A sell brand new for $1772 (plus shipping whatever that would be). I bet they are worth every penny of $1400 but.... For a few hundred more you can get them brand new (depending on how shipping works out). 

I like used but that price is 79% of brand new. Bobs stuff sells really good around here though. I don't know. 

On 7/2/2019 at 5:03 AM, Heritage_Head said:

Type A sell brand new for $1772 (plus shipping whatever that would be). I bet they are worth every penny of $1400 but.... For a few hundred more you can get them brand new (depending on how shipping works out). 

I like used but that price is 79% of brand new. Bobs stuff sells really good around here though. I don't know. 

Yes, better price and finish the way you want with the quality you want.

• Like 1

The Cornscalla is a fantastic speaker, the pair I built (Type C) easily out did the 2 previous pairs of Cornwalls that I have owned.

I even preferred them to my old KHorns.

I know the forum member that purchased my CSs was VERY happy with how they sounded!

• Like 3

If you were to buy, try and get the CT120 tweeter, streets ahead of the CT125, it is more revealing and dynamic. I build my own and you will be impressed with the Cornscala, once you live with it you wont want to return it!

good luck

On 7/3/2019 at 7:30 AM, HPower said:

The Cornscalla is a fantastic speaker, the pair I built (Type C) easily out did the 2 previous pairs of Cornwalls that I have owned.

I even preferred them to my old KHorns.

I know the forum member that purchased my CSs was VERY happy with how they sounded!

I guess there is no accounting for taste. I had the C version with ALK xovers. Not even close to my khorns. I also preferred the Forte III over them. Good overall speakers though.

Shakey

On 6/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, jjptkd said:

"Corn-Scala" was intended for the original version using the Cornwall box and woofer mated with the La Scala upper section keeping them basically Klipsch speakers.

😎

03120005.JPG

03140002.JPG

03290008.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2019 at 11:41 PM, OC71 said:

My concern is that if I buy them there is a limited resale market.  

Kind of ironic comment, buying something that’s being resold and worrying about the resale market. Just the fact that this conversation is happening debunks this theory.

How many hundred million people live in the U.S? If you ever want to sell them I’m sure you’ll find a buyer.

• Like 1