Waters vs Gilmour

Heritage_Head

10 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

I like his solo stuff (pretty much everything pink floyd included after waters was Davids solo stuff). He's the greatest guitarist ever imo and no one is close imo.

Im confused https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/tag/the-wall-live-dvd doesnt have Gilmour just Waters right?

I haven't seen this....thanks.

9 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

I cant believe ive never seen this thank you man ceptorman!

Pretty amazing show. I would have loved to see it in person. Can you imagine the cost?

9 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Wonder if thats Beck on guitar?

Snowy White on guitar.

Who was the left handed guitarist that played quite a few shows with him? He played a right handed guitar upside down, his low E string was on the bottom!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I haven't seen this....thanks.

Pretty amazing show. I would have loved to see it in person. Can you imagine the cost?

Snowy White on guitar.

Who was the left handed guitarist that played quite a few shows with him? He played a right handed guitar upside down, his low E string was on the bottom!

Im excited to watch the rest! I cant wait for Monday. Its rare for me to see brand new Waters anything. I feel like a kid at xmas. 

I only watched about 20min and shut it off. Then went to amazon! 

14 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

https://gostream.nu/film/roger-waters-the-wall-2014-1080p.36786/watching.html

roger-waters-the-wall.jpg

When you hit play pop up window needs to be closed. Then again when you hit play again. Its a great sight to watch anything you want.

This is from the 30th Anniversary of The Wall tour that Roger did in 2010. My Bride and I were at the 12/13 show in Anaheim at the Honda Center (aka The Duck Pond).

Incredible show. 

I've seen (David and Roger) Pink Floyd perform DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall live.

After the breakup, we went to the Pink Floyd (minus Roger) A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell tours plus the Roger Waters In the Flesh and (the aforementioned) 30th Anniversary of The Wall tours.

Been listening to Pink Floyd since 1969 and definitely rank them as my favorite rock and roll band.

To the question posed: In my opinion, David and Roger are at their best when they work together, their conflicts notwithstanding. If forced to choose, I prefer David's post-Pink Floyd (the Pink Floyd with both David and Roger) compositions without Roger more than I do Roger's without David. David seems to be much more comfortable and at peace with himself.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

David seems to be much more comfortable and at peace with himself.

Gosh, I agree with this too.  I think Rodger's been too strung out on the memory of his father to get comfortable.

I was introduced to Pink Floyd sometime around 72, and never stopped listening. Favorite LP is "Final Cut", but of course DSOTM and WYWH aren't far behind. Love, absolutely love their music.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, polizzio said:

I found a pic on the web, all the equipment laid out. It was Ummagumma (released in 1969) I owned. With "be careful with that axe, eugene" track on it. Way before DSOTM.

Pink Floyd Ummagumma Album cover2.jpg

Wow! Thank you so much for posting. Atom Heart is the earliest LP I own, I knew of earlier LPs but had not really listened to them. But love the "careful with that axe" song on first try. The first thing you pick up on is that menacing guitar used in the opening of "good-by cruel world". Awsome, thanks.

39 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

This is from the 30th Anniversary of The Wall tour that Roger did in 2010. My Bride and I were at the 12/13 show in Anaheim at the Honda Center (aka The Duck Pond).

Incredible show. 

I've seen (David and Roger) Pink Floyd perform DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall live.

After the breakup, we went to the Pink Floyd (minus Roger) A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell tours plus the Roger Waters In the Flesh and (the aforementioned) 30th Anniversary of The Wall tours.

Been listening to Pink Floyd since 1969 and definitely rank them as my favorite rock and roll band.

To the question posed: In my opinion, David and Roger are at their best when they work together, their conflicts notwithstanding. If forced to choose, I prefer David's post-Pink Floyd (the Pink Floyd with both David and Roger) compositions without Roger more than I do Roger's without David. David seems to be much more comfortable and at peace with himself.

Just my opinion.

The stories you could tell I bet 👍

I agree with most of this but do have a few opinions to your the question answer.

Gilmour was still in the band he had been in for the last almost 20 years. He had all the other members and the full resources of pink floyd at his disposal. I think anyone would be more comfortable than whatever the latter might be. Just saying.. 

I picked Waters in this but also agree with you that Davids pink floyd was better than Waters solo stuff. But 2 things......

1. Same reason as above. David had Pink Floyd and all that that comes with and Waters didn't.

2. Waters imo already blew his load with DSOTM, Animals, WYWH, The Wall, and The Final Cut. Gilmour hadn't even really put much stuff out there yet (besides his solos and that one terrible solo album). And he didn't even write barley any of the lyrics after waters left (his wife became a silent member of the band kinda). 

I don't think comparing them after waters left is completely a fair comparison. IMHO

19 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

The stories you could tell I bet 👍

I agree with most of this but do have a few opinions to your the question answer.

Gilmour was still in the band he had been in for the last almost 20 years. He had all the other members and the full resources of pink floyd at his disposal. I think anyone would be more comfortable than whatever the latter might be. Just saying.. 

I picked Waters in this but also agree with you that Davids pink floyd was better than Waters solo stuff. But 2 things......

1. Same reason as above. David had Pink Floyd and all that that comes with and Waters didn't.

2. Waters imo already blew his load with DSOTM, Animals, WYWH, The Wall, and The Final Cut. Gilmour hadn't even really put much stuff out there yet (besides his solos and that one terrible solo album). And he didn't even write barley any of the lyrics after waters left (his wife became a silent member of the band kinda). 

I don't think comparing them after waters left is completely a fair comparison. IMHO

Even back to 1973, when they were together, David seemed happier and more comfortable in his own skin when I saw them perform.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other - they are both great. That conversation would be preference and opinion.

I can say that when I saw the Animals tour in May, 1977, Roger seemed more angry and tense than I had seen him previously. Not long after that (July, 1977) he spit on a (rowdy) fan in Montreal.

When we saw the In The Flesh tour in (IIRC) 1999, we had 6th row tickets and Roger seemed much more at ease and connected with the audience. It was really good to see.

Have you read "Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd" by Nick Mason?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Im excited to watch the rest! I cant wait for Monday. Its rare for me to see brand new Waters anything. I feel like a kid at xmas. 

I only watched about 20min and shut it off. Then went to amazon! 

After watching it 4-5 times, you'll still be amazed at the whole visual masterpiece this concert had.

5 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Over Gilmour?

Yes, I'm a huge Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin fan. I really didn't get into Pink Floyd until my mid 20s, in the mid 80s.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Even back to 1973, when they were together, David seemed happier and more comfortable in his own skin when I saw them perform.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other - they are both great. That conversation would be preference and opinion.

I can say that when I saw the Animals tour in May, 1977, Roger seemed more angry and tense than I had seen him previously. Not long after that (July, 1977) he spit on a (rowdy) fan in Montreal.

When we saw the In The Flesh tour in (IIRC) 1999, we had 6th row tickets and Roger seemed much more at ease and connected with the audience. It was really good to see.

I haven't read his book no.

Understand Waters was a very very depressed person. And we are all better off from it. We don't have the best Pink Floyd if he wasn't!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

After watching it 4-5 times, you'll still be amazed at the whole visual masterpiece this concert had.

Yes, I'm a huge Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin fan. I really didn't get into Pink Floyd until my mid 20s, in the mid 80s.

Me and zeppelin don't click. Page was one of a kind though. I just don't like there sound. There a party band and there recordings sound like it. 

51 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

Its a fun debate. You seem to know a sh.t ton about floyd as well 👍

• Like 1